Must Trade to #3 Now!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Greensleeves, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

We can't wait to trade up or other teams may trade before us. Cousins looks like he's going to Minny - we can't afford to wait. Let's get it done, Mac! Cousins isn't the right fit for us anyhow. We need to get either Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield. Let's grow with our own franchise QBs. These guys all have higher ceilings than Cousins anyhow. Use the cash to strengthen the team.

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Jets: We want your trey, dawg.
    Colts. I feel you. We fieldin' offers and shit.
    Jets: Aiight, aiight. But just lemme get it right quick doe.
    Colts: Nah.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Are these QBs really any good or do just happen to be the 3 QBs coming out this season?

I've read some bad shit on every one of them, especially Rosen.

I don't care how they compare to each other.

I care how they compare to the top 3 or 4 QBs that have come out in the last 10 yrs.

Heck Mark Sanchez was a great QB*

*for that draft class

4. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

If we cannot get Cousins, I would rather stay at 6 so we can pick up two quality players in round 2 later on in addition to whoever falls to us.

Browns are the only team a lock to take a QB in the top 5. Broncos may sign a vet (Cousins, Keenum, etc.) and there are four top 10 quality QBs. Someone will fall, or even better, a top player at another position will fall.

5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

It would be a Mike McCagnan type move to sit at 6 and draft Quenten Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick and consequently blow a 2nd round pick (maybe both) on a guy like Mason Rudolph.

6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

no way should we trade up....there is no Luck in this draft....Theres 4 QBs that can be great or can be busts and one of them will CERTAINLY be there at 6. The only player worth trading up for is Barkley

7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. We need quality depth/starters at nearly every position. We can address Oline and Linebacker needs in this draft and we need every pick we have. At worst case scenario, if a QB that we ARE NOT hot on drops to us at 6 (will be at least 1). Trade down in the draft and accumulate more picks. We can address other areas of need, while continuing to improve the core talent on the team. Between this and making smart, younger free agent pick ups.....the team can finally get on the track of building correctly....everyone seems to be a fan of building this way until the time comes to put your money where their mouth is. Wouldn't it be "Jetsy" to mortgage the future by trading picks or having bidding wars on mediocre free agent talent?

Jets_Grinch, twown and jonnyd like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

now? no one is trading for the 3 spot right now, nothing will happen until the 1st selection is made. so we can relax a little with the" it has to happen now" act.
    and while these prospects may have higher ceilings, and i say may because it is debatable, they definitely have much lower floors than cousins

TonyFtLaud, Brook! and JetBlue like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. The Jets would not be mortgaging their future trading up for a QB. Quite the opposite in fact, they would be securing their future. A FQB is worth a whole team's worth of depth. Depth can be added any time, in either the draft or FA. The Jets need starters, yes, but they need a starting QB more! You keep saying that the Titans and Jags formula is what we should follow, but BOTH TEAMS GOT THEIR QB FIRST!!!!! Doing what you advocate is NOT what the Titans and Jags did, and in fact more than likely will prevent the Jets from ever getting a FQB in the draft. If the Jets add several starters between FA and the draft this year and upgrade their depth, then they likely will be drafting in the teens next year and won't stand a chance of trading up to get a FQB. Even if they do find a team willing to trade, it would cost them 2 or 3 times more than moving up this year would cost, and there may not even be any good QB prospects worth trading up for next year or in 2020.

EDIT: Thanks to NoodleArm's posting the Walter link, there are a number of good QB prospects next season, but two are coming off major, season-ending knee injuries, several of them didn't complete 60% of their passes, and one threw almost as many interceptions as TDs. Thus there are just as many flaws and questions with that class as there are with this year's class of QBs. That class has a chance to be better than this one if all of their top 6 QBs stay healthy, improve their completion percentage, and have excellent seasons, but how often does that happen. Also, as I stated above, with the additions the Jets make in FA and the draft this year could have them drafting in the teens next year and trading up could be impossible or truly be franchise dooming if that QB proves to be a bust. Their best bet is to go with one of the QBs this year.

#9 NCJetsfan, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Skip the QBs, get a sure thing. Barkley.

11. jonnyd

The important part here is not to trade up...that would be assinine

Harpua and FJF like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

No it wouldn't!

13. jonnyd

yea it would

14. NCJetsfan

Why would it be asinine? The Jets need a FQB. Chances are that if they stay put, the best 3 (Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold) who are also the best fits for the Jets' offense) will be gone. Then the Jets would either have to go with Jackson or Allen and probably change their offense significantly, which wouldn't help their offense any, go with a 3rd tier QB, or wind up without a potential QB of the future. THAT WOULD BE ASININE!

westiedog1 and Greensleeves like this.
  15. jonnyd

we have no idea who is going to be there at 6.....and whomever it is has the same chance of flopping or being great so why trade picks which would include both of our 2nds

16. NCJetsfan

Of course we have no idea who will be there at #6 but we know who the teams are that need QBs and that at least 2 (Cleveland and Denver will be drafting QBs [unless Denver is able to sign Cousins]), and quite possibly the Giants could be drafting a QB as well. We also know that only 3 of those QBS (Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold) would be the best fits in the Jets' offense.

Saying that that they all have the same chance of flopping or being great is nonsense imo. There are only 4 top tier QBs, and Allen, while having a higher ceiling, is the most likely to be a bust of the 4. He is also most likely the one who will drop to #6. We also know that if the Jets are forced to take either Allen or Jackson, that more than likely the Jets will have to make significant, if not wholesale, changes to their offense.

Any trade deal would be contingent on the player the Jets wanted still being there at the pick they were trading up to, so if they made a deal to trade up to #3 and the QB they wanted was taken before then, the deal would be void, so they wouldn't be stuck trading up for a player they didn't really like or want.

I think it's also nonsense to say that both of our 2nd round picks would be included as if it's a fact. They may be, but also may not be. The Jets could offer one of their 2nd round picks, their 3rd round pick or 4th round pick, or their 1st and 2nd round picks next year.

17. jonnyd

what changes would you want to see if Allen was the QB for example?

18. NCJetsfan

With his problems with accuracy on short passes, and with his ability to run the ball and throw accurately on the run, I'd expect to see the addition of a number of RPO-type plays, and quite possibly the transition from the WCO to more of a downfield passing attack where Allen could be more dangerous/effective. I think I'd expect the same kind of changes if the Jets drafted Jackson.

How about you?

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I don’t think we’ll see any firm trade rumors until after the pro-days.

What if you trade up for Darnold today and he blows his Achilles at the pro day?

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I think the Jets should trade to the #4. Likely they don't have to give up the farm and would still be guaranteed a top 3 QB since Barkley should definitely be gone in the top three.