Morris Claiborne signs with the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Mar 16, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's good that the Jets are trying to find talent at one of their clearest weaknesses. With this guy's injury history, I don't think the Jets should assume that one of their starting jobs is locked up. Even if it's a low end starter, they still need at least two more going into next season. That's also not including Skrine who is terrible on the outside and should only be a slot CB.

kevda5n9ne, Pags2112 and b.reyes16 like this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I don't feel in any way that this hinders our drafting a CB. We needed atleast 2 right off the jump. Deep CB draft though so should be able to find a contributor in the middle rounds.

Pags2112 likes this.
  3. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

He may not even be a starter? I'd be a starter in the Jets secondary, are you kidding me?

boozer32 and Pags2112 like this.
  4. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping Burris continues to improve enough to assume the starting role opposite Claiborne. He did a nice job at the end of the season. Skrine is a penalty and TD machine on the outside. Great slot corner in coverage and run support though.

almbleamal, kevda5n9ne and boozer32 like this.
  5. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

AJ Bouye is making 13mil/year, Stephon Gilmore (more complicated contract) will make 12.6/year increasing by 1mil/year for 4 years after his first year.

They're 25 (8/16) and 26yo (9/19) respectively. Claiborne turned 27 last month (2/7)

If we get him at or under 7mil/year I think it's a clear win. Based on his injuries and up/down performance it shouldn't be any higher.

EDIT: I also find it telling that the Ravens were interested in Claiborne before they signed Brandon Carr to a 4 year $24mil contract. So 6mil/year is what they valued a 30yo CB's value at.

#45 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    almbleamal likes this.
  6. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Solid signing. Claiborne was basically average until this past season.

He seemed to finally get it together and had a good season, strong play at times.

For what it's worth PFF rated him as the 12th best cover corner this season although it was only thru 7 games...

Big injury concerns but if he can stay healthy and continue on his level of play from last season it could work out good.

Pags2112 likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hmmm..

2016 ? Thats NOT good

Prob a typo

Red Menace likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Uh Oh..

9. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

This is a good signing if he can stay healthy. Now the Jets hopefully won't reach for a CB at 6.

Pags2112 likes this.
  10. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Year Team COMB AST Sack IN

2016 DAL----26-------2-----0.0----1

2015 DAL----37-------7-----0.0----0

2014 DAL----7---------2-----0.0----1

2013 DAL----26-------2-----0.0----1

2012 DAL----55-------12----0.0----1
    ———————————————————

Career----------151------25----0.0----4

Pre-draft measurables
    Ht----------------Wt----------40-yd dash
    5 ft 11⅛-------188lb-------4.43s

Claiborne has flashes at times and was the Cowboys former 1st round pick 6th overall in 12' (pick sound familiar). Though he hasn't always lived up to the expectations, he's put together solid blocks of games .. so i'll label him, "talented enough to shutdown, yet inconsistent and injury prone,". Here is an excerpt after the 5th game of the season last year, after he more than held his own against A.J. Green. It was the best start he's had until, yet again, an injury limited him to only 7 games. He usually lines up on the right side.

"Green came into the game leading the league with 32 catches for 468 yards and two touchdowns. He was held four receptions for 50 yards.

Most importantly, two passes from Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton to Green in the end zone were batted way for pass deflections by Claiborne, who is fifth in the league in lowest completion percentage against and has yet allow a touchdown in five games."

Claiborne had the makings of a great season, but as I typed above, only played and started 7 games. At age 27 he's missed 33 of a possible 80 games. He's considered a "class act" and fits the mold/type of player MM is trying to fill the locker room with. If the Jets did not over spend, this is a good signing IMO, I had him listed as one of the CB's we should target. The draft is loaded with talent and I see us selecting 2 more. This gives us more flexibility to wheel and deal allowing us to trade down our 1st round pick.

#50 Pags2112, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Prob. :)

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Burris looks like a good football player. He lacks high end speed tho. But he can overcome that to some degree if he keeps improving.

Need DB's

b.reyes16, Pags2112 and Red Menace like this.
  13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We need CB's plain and simple.
    I don't see this making a difference with our draft strategy...Claiborne, Lattimore,Skrine inside.

In all honesty, this draft is deep at the DB positions , I'd love to see us pick up a CB in the 2nd and use the #6 on an offensive weapon .
    Just find a way to get Mixon...PLEASE!

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't know how many of you guys have actually seen him play, he was not that good with the cowboys.

Yes I saw him play a lot with the Boys and he was constantly targeted as the weak link in the secondary. I hope TB doesn't play too much man with him, we are going to think it was cromartie against the raiders all over again.

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be negative, but I have seen him play a lot and I hope the jets are not thinking he is the answer at CB.

Good thing it's a deep draft in the CB department, Mac needs to draft one as well.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Now we can draft another DE at 6! Yay!

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's going to be Reuben Foster.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If they thought he was the answer I think they would have tossed him the $7 mil he was asking the Ravens for days ago. I don't think anyone is making this out to be more than it is. It's a solid signing with a lot of upside and limited downside (assuming the contract isn't crazy). When he was healthy he was very good, but health is also his biggest weakness. When you're rebuilding, you take chances on 27 year olds with a lot of talent.

Pags2112 likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Which is why the good teams avoid free agency as much as possible.

I get that the Jets needed a LT however once again we're looking at a Jet's offensive line where two of the guys on the line played for other teams before coming to the Jets. It's hard to put together the lunch pail mentality when you keep bringing in high-paid workers from other towns to fill key holes in the crew.

The Pats have done this maybe twice (one guy each time) in the last fifteen years. The Jets do it as a normal course of business.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Money will be important for this one. My concerns are injury history and that he seems to have had only good season. However, he does have experience and is still young, which are pluses.

It seems that the approach by the FO is to get starters (loose term) at all positions and really go BPA in the draft, which I like, so they don't need to fill glaring holes.

And no, this absolutely does not rule out a CB high. I think every position is still on the table (except 3-4 DE?)

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I would not be unhappy with this pick at all.

Red Menace likes this.