More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Dude Trump became president. Anything's possible.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

For once, could we draft a Qb that doesn't need fixin...?

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Trubisky had to take all his calls from the sideline on every play. That would go over well here.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Cman68

yeah i know...

5. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

If I was a betting man, I would probably take the Rock being president in 2024 over the Jets taking a QB in the first round and Hackenberg being on the team in 5 years.

6. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

The signing of McCown IMO and by articles that I have read over the past few days, support that the Jets FO has ALOT of confidence in Hackenberg. Even if we select a QB as high as #6, or in the later rounds, they WILL be giving him his opportunity not only to start but to show he's worth keeping around. The kid is very very young, four years younger than Bryce Petty, his potential is no where near being reached. The quarterback position is the most important position on and off the field and the hardest to fill. So it's understanding that drafting a QB yearly is something Maccagnan will do and shouldn't be a knock to Hackenberg, especially given his age, but more of an indication that Maccagnan sees the value of having more than 1 good QB on the roster. Wether it's for the purposes of having a reliable backup QB or trade bait, having QB's on low money rookie contracts allows you the monetary freedom to improve other areas of the roster. Especially if you can get consistent QB play, we don't need to find a Pro Bowl or Hall of Fame QB to win, just a QB we can count and build around. I personally do not see anyone in this years draft who is a sure fire starter and also in my opinion, using high round picks on a QB, whether they are "projects" or not (I also consider all QB's besides an Andrew Luck type as projects) is NOT a waste of a high round pick. Below is a link to an in-depth film review of Hackenberg, you can see what Maccagnan and his team saw (including the fact that his footwork was not always bad), his regression sophomore season IMO were more the results of his low talent surroundings and coaching, then Hackenberg himself. His mechanics were purposely adjusted to try and change his style to fit their system. He did improve his Junior year, but he is not the type of QB that fit the system that was put in place. Some may argue that a good QB could play in any system, perhaps, but not at the college level. There is not enough time nor the facilities to properly devout to player development at the college level. It's very easy to fall into believing a bad narrative given to us by the media about specific players and I at first was somone who did. After watching his film and others available, personally it's hard not to see what Maccagnans team saw, especially his Freshman year before his mechanics were awfully tampered with.

#286 Pags2112, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Walt White likes this.
  7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Almost every QB drafted comes up short. it is likely that Hack stinks but how can we know?? If TB had shown some guts last year and given him 4 or 5 games we could sit here and say, unequivocally, that he stinks. But Bowles had no guts. He also realized that he was not up to this job but did not want to lose it so he went with a faded Fitz (is that actually an accurate description of Fitz?) hoping to salvage some of the season. He does not belong on the sideline as a head coach. It is all smoke an dmirrors no and we must waste this year, and possibly next, because of it.

8. Cman68

What makes you think TB is gonna play Hack this season without a gun pointed directly to his temple? He's in a lose/lose situation when it comes to Hack. The HC has to win but the GM has to long term plan.

jdon likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don't think thats true. i get the feeling woody was told he has to give these things time, bowles and mac are on the same timeline and under no pressure to win much this year

10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I think there was a report in the Metro by Dyer that basically said there is no win target for next year. It was an unnamed Jets executive as source though so feel free to treat it with some caution.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Woody said it himself, there is no playoff requirement this year. It's all about the youth movement.

Pags2112 likes this.
  12. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Of course he is. That is why I think he should have done it last season when he had some plitical capital. And that is why i think he should have been fired after last year for not foing it. If he had done it and they ost people would have been okay with it.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Woody has said things and gone back on his word countless times though. I don't trust a dammed thing that ever comes out of his mouth. If there is another rough season there is no way Todd Bowles will be back. He has to win now

Cman68 likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Woody thinks we need to win right now this coming season instead of getting the youth movement in order then the Jets are screwed for years to come. Mac didn't sign any big priced FAs which makes me think the Jets don't have to win now. Bowles, the young players need to continue to get better and if they show progress this year, I expect Bowles to get an extension of at least 1 yr as the arrow would be pointing up. Jets could win 3 games this year and Bowles could remain as HC.

Pags2112, FJF and MoWilkBeast like this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mac said immediately hack was not playing tths year.it was never an option and yet you think bowles should be fired for not playing him?

Pags2112 likes this.
  16. Cman68

So, what was the point of signing McCown again? Why start McCown if there's no mandate to win? If McCown isn't starting, why pay $6mil for a mentor? Why didn't they just go with Hack/Petty/Draftee and eat the 2017 season? Too many questions and not enough answers I guess. We'll see how Mac and TB plays this out..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I don't believe Mac controls which qb starts. Ultimately the coaches make that decision. Mac deflects questions regarding who's the starting qb (or any other position for that matter) back to Todd Bowles, which he should.

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They have more to evaluate than just the QBs so maybe they figured having that vet in there will help during TC and the beginning of the season to see where the WRs and TEs are. Only Mac and TB know what is going to transpire it seems.

MoWilkBeast and Cman68 like this.
  19. Cman68

I guess we'll have to wait for the white smoke to waft from the chimney at Florham Pk.

The Waterboy likes this.
  20. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

No, no, no. I think Bowles should be fired for incompetence, and also for not adapting during the season and using it for something instead of just sitting on the pot and seeing what came out