Mocking the Jets' 2017 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 14, 2016.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Not the point - Name any team with 3 QB's on that roster with less than 6 games experience between all of them ... in any year and any era.......bet you can't.

And, there are no Elway or Favres in this draft

#81 BomberJet, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

No to defense and definately no to Ohio State players. We have a free safety and strong safety on the roster and we will waste a top 10 pick on this guy to sit?

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with the bolded. Fournette can create on his own. QBs are MUCH harder to find than OL. To say that we should wait to draft a QB until we have our OL is just plain nuts. You take your QB when you get the chance if you're lucky enough to get a chance to take a QB you really like. If Mangold is back, the interior of the OL should be pretty solid. They have to find an LT in FA and some competition for Shell at RT for this season. Either they will take an LT prospect in the draft this year they can develop, or they'll take one next year. If they don't think Petty or Hack will be the answer, then they have to take Watson or Mahomes if they get the chance. You forget that the Cowboys had Romo before they had their OL set, so using them as your example of doing things the right way is flawed.

This isn't the draft to go crazy with drafting OL. You can't force things. If the talent isn't there, it isn't there. Wasting several picks taking stiffs and hoping they'll develop is not the answer. They can make a big difference on offense adding a good TE and RB prospect. If they add a QB, maybe they'll help it a lot more.

IMO they really need to find a pass rusher. They've needed one for 10 years. Kevin Greene is a very good coach imo, and they need to take advantage of him while he's here. He may not be back next year, so they need to get a pass rusher this year and let Greene work with him.

Normally, I'm gung ho for trading down, but it's not everyday you get a chance to take a "can't miss prospect." They have that chance this year, and I think they almost have to take a can't miss prospect when they get the chance. If they do trade down, I won't be upset, if they make wise use of their picks.

4. NCJetsfan

Refusing to draft players from any school is just silly, but especially one as good as Ohio St. We don't have a FS that's worth a tinker's damn. Pryor may be gone before or after the season. Adams is already better.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

That is simply not true.

Orlando Pace was taken with the first overall draft pick.

Brick was taken with the fourth overall draft pick.

Ben Rothlisberger wasn't taken until pick eleven (after two other QBs went off the board).

Dan Marino was the sixth QB off the board at 27th overall.

Joe Flacco has a ring and he was the 18th pick (second QB taken).

A great left tackle that can hold the fort for a decade is worth as much as a very good quarterback.

You could put Unitas, Montana, Young, etc. behind center but with a poor left tackle they will not finish the season.

6. NCJetsfan

It most certainly is true. You're nuts. Yes, LTs are very important, but nowhere near as important as a FQB. They're not even in the same area code.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The problem with your statement is that you assume that you can draft/sign above average to very good OL, and then your QB will be waiting for you to simply pick him and sign him. But that's not how it works. Lets' say we follow your plan and trade down and rebuild the OL to your standards. In the meantime the Jets sign a vet QB and try their best to make the playoffs because that's what Macc and Bowles believe they need to do. Of course they won't make the playoffs, but they will be sufficiently good enough to screw themselves out of a Top 3 draft pick. Now what do you do? Unless you mortgage your future by trading draft picks to move up, you're not getting your QB in 2018. Meanwhile we watch Mahomes and Watson re-energize formerly moribund teams, and have their fans looking towards a bright future.

The point is, you need to strike when opportunity knocks, not when you think you're ready.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, the Jets need a franchise QB, not a "very good" one, and FQBs are harder to find than OL. The stats you provide show that. It's not where a great QB was drafted, it's that they were discovered and developed. How many GMs kicked themselves in hindsight after seeing that they passed on Marino, and the rest? But it's HARD to figure out if a guy will be a FQB! OTH, if a LT is projected to go high in the draft, it's almost a cinch he becomes as good as predicted. So in that sense, it's easier to find one.

I think the way to answer this is to pose the question: If a consensus FQB and LT were available to a team that needs both, which one would they take first? My money is on the QB.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

OK now I'm convinced you didn't watch any Jet football last yr. Marcus Gilchrist is AWFUL. I can't believe I just read this. I'm truly ashamed right now. Dude wtf!

xxedge72x likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well Yes and No NC

I see your point about how there are no great picks out there for the line...IMO there are never any sure things or "cant miss prospects" in general, but go into later rounds if need be and take a lineman...start now Mangold WILL NOT be back ,Shell aint bad but the rest can go. I would never describe Clady and Giocommini "solid" heheh

I like drafting QBs yes and this draft we should take one but I really don't see this class as quality as compared to upcoming in 2018 (Rosen and Darnold)

Not sold on Watson ...very much like Taj Boyd eg had a great title game but that's all hes got

Mahomes is more interesting a talent but methinks he will still be on the Board after Rnd 6..?

On the other hand if the Jets broke with stupidity and drafted an O player like Fournette or Howard I wouldn't mind too much

But long term I still say trade down this year if possible

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. boozer32

Gilchrist was awful because the coaching staff was awful. It wasn't just Gilchrist it was Revis, Skrine, Wiliams, Burris, Pryor all year long. Opposing WR and TE's were running free. I know there are 16 games but if you wants a good reference just look at the Colts/Jets game in the Meadowlands. Gilchrist played pretty good for us the year before.

12. 101GangGreen101

You can blame it on coaching all you want, but the players in the secondary were trash this year in the effort / execution department. Whatever they could control on the field, they failed with flying colors. Burris wasn't bad, regardless Gilchrist sucks and isn't worth the price-tag. Jets need to get younger and draft the BPA that fits the need. There is an easy upgrade in the draft. Gilchrist is the definition of average. When he got more responsibility this year in terms of helping the secondary get in position, he was awful. Having a player like Hooker would also help Pryor do what he does best.

Gilchrist in 2017 was absolute trash and the Jets should and WILL upgrade that FS position in the near future. It could happen with Hooker, I personally hope so. You guys can take that draft only offensive players crap to the Pat Mahomes thread in the draft forum.

13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

For no other reason, we should cut Gilchrist since the ruptured patella tendon in Week 14 will prevent him from doing anything in 2017 even if he is still on the team.

Nevermind the fact that I thought he was average at best & we can do much better.

14. boozer32

No way you can say Adams is better than any pro before he evens pads up. That's just not reality. Gholston was better than John Abraham also before he even dressed up. How did that workout? The Jets have had 2 good players fro Ohio State. Matt Snell and Mangold. That is it. Chris Ward, Devin Smith, Schlegel, Gholston, Mike Nugent, Al Washington, Ed Thompson, Rick Seifert, Dave Foley. Now tell me the successes out of that group of Jets draft picks. If they take a Ohio State player and I hope they don't make sure ya'll come back with a full plate of crow. The easy out would be to just avoid these players altogether.

15. boozer32

Pryor sucks too and no amount of FS help will improve his game. He didn't Louisville Slugger anyone this year, took bad angles and not really good in the box either. So now you want to add a rookie FS to that. Yeah, yeah I've heard the Ed Reed comparsons but that is a pipe dream. Ed Reed was great Day 1 and so was his defense.This team defense is awful so why not try and fix something else, like the offensive side so that you can at least try and score. I know in my heart Macc will never take a FS at #6 and Hooker is not the BPA at that slot. Not with Fournette possibly available at that pick, not with Watson possibly available at that pick, not with Barnett possibly available at that pick.

16. NCJetsfan

The coaching was awful this year. That much you have right.

Gilchrist was never a very good player even in San Diego. He was just the best veteran FS available in FA and had flexibility in that he had also played SS and CB. Bowles raved about him in 2015 and how he was like having a coach on the field. If the secondary was so awful in 2016 as you claim (which it was!), then Gilchrist HAS to share a lot of that blame. He was calling the coverages in the secondary and thus was responsible for all the blown coverages. On more than one occasion that I saw, he was the one who blew the coverage. The DB Coach is gone I believe. Unfortunately, Bowles and Rogers are still here, and so is Gilchrist at the moment. Hopefully, the latter will change very soon.

#96 NCJetsfan, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    boozer32 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

No Gholston was not better than Abraham. Gholston was never even all that at OSU. He was just an amazing physical specimen who blew up the Combine. Lots of the experts were torn or even down on Gholston. That is NOT the case with Adams.

I could come back with a list of OSU who have very good or great in the NFL. I'm not a fan of OSU at all, but to just totally rule out any prospect because he went to OSU is not wise.

18. 101GangGreen101

Fournette has chronic ankle injuries. Pass. Plenty of rb depth in the later rounds. Luxury pick.

Hooker is a top 5 talent in this draft, idk where you get your info but it's pretty off here. That is a scout consensus.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  19. I'm mum on taking a FS & would much rather take an offensive skill player b/c the cup is just about bare of offensive playmakers for about 5 years running now.

That said...I do like what I've seen from Hooker. He has tremendous range & ball skills. He would hopefully settle down Pryor & give us a legit top to the defense.

Adams doesn't do anything for me. He has good size,instincts & tackling ability...but his range & coverage skills are nothing to write home about & surely not top 10 worthy. Just my opinion.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

I would take Watson at 6, but if the Jets can't trade down, what skill position player is really worth the 6th if Watson isn't there? Fournette, great talent but the chronic ankle issues I've been hearing about scares me completely.