Mock Offseason v2.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Feb 18, 2007.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Free Agent signings:

Jordan Black, OT. Started at right tackle in '05 before moving to left tackle when Willie Roaf got hurt. Smart and instinctive lineman who at 6'5 310 is not a road grader right tackle like most would prefer but he was a very solid contributer to one of the better running teams in the league. While guys like Leonard Davis have the size and physical tools I don't want a guy billed as lazy and not having lived up to their potential. Shouldn't cost enough where it's hurting us financially either.

Kris Dielman, OG. Started at left guard and was an alternate Pro Bowler for San Diego. Was a big reason for LT's stellar year. Tough and smart he would come in and immediately shore up the right side of the line. My idea would be for him to start at right guard and draft someone who would backup both guard spots and when Kendall retires Dielman would slide over the young guy would step in.

Cory Schlensinger, FB. Not a big move, but he's a solid blocking fullback and wouldn't cost much.

Correll Buckhalter, RB. If he'd accept a short term deal he could be a very good power back combined with Washington. He's also a very good receiver out of the backfield.

Nick Harper, CB. Not a #1 corner but would be an adequate starter and his good tackling skills would make him a good nickle back should Justin Miller take the next step.

Draft:

1) Justin Harrell, DE, Tennesee. Almost an ideal fit at DE in a 3-4 scheme. Very tough and smart, could come in and start right away. At the very least he'd be an athletic guy to rotate in.

2) Quintin Moses, OLB, Georgia. Disappointing senior season, but he's an incredible talent and I think he could be our pass rushing answer. Could be that guy that has everyone wondering why he lasted so long in the draft by week 4.

2) Josh Beekman, OG, BC. Solid prospect, very smart. Would add depth on the line and wouldn't have to start right away under my plan.

3) Paul Williams, WR, Fresno State. Very raw but an incredible talent. Great leaper, fantastic speed. Could be a very productive downfield receiver if he fufills his potential.

5) Tarrell Brown, CB, Texas. Not sure he'll last this long but at one point was Texas' number one corner until Ross became the prospect he is now. Good size and intangibles, could slip here just due to there being so many similar players.

6) LaRon McClain, FB, Alabama. Might start out on the practice squad or inactive list but he has potential to be a very good blocking fullback, making Schleisinger a stopgap.

7) Chris Leak, QB, Florida. Good intangibles, smart, low risk pick. Nothing to lose here and could develop into a solid backup.

Depth Chart:

QB: Pennington, Clemens, Chris Leak
    RB: Washington, Buckhalter Houston
    FB: Schlesinger, McClain
    WR: Coles, Cotchery, Smith, Williams
    TE: Baker, Ryan, Dearth
    LT: Ferguson
    LG: Kendall
    C: Mangold
    RG: Dielman, Beekman
    RT: Black

DE: Ellis, Hamilton
    DT: Robertson, Poua
    DE: Harrell, Kimo

OLB: Moses, Hobson
    ILB: Vilma, Barton, Schleigal
    OLB: Thomas, Chatham

CB: Dyson, Harper, Miller, Brown
    FS: Coleman, Smith
    SS: Rhodes

#1 TheCoolerGlennFoley, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  2. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

nevermind...

#2 jasonjets, Feb 18, 2007
  3. Carl Spacklers Grass

that draft looks good. But i doubt Leak would fall to the 7th round

#3 Carl Spacklers Grass, Feb 18, 2007
  4. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Hit submit posts on accident. That's what I get for posting and doing Calc III homework at the same time. Fixed now.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Kris Dielman and Jordan Black are good signings. I like them.

Correll Buckhalter could be a nice change of pace back and Schelinger should make a fine blocker.

Nick Harper is 32 or 33 and is an extreme short term solution. There might be someone a little better. How about Dave Macklin from Arizona?

Harrell is a nice fit at DE. Will Quentin Moses be there at #37. If you switch picks 25 and 37, it may be more realistic.

I like the Beekman pick. Paul Williams is a potential workour warrior. Maybe he lacked production because he played for Stanford...

I like Day 2 alot.

Nicely done. I'd be pretty satisfied with this result. :up:

6. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

That result would suk. I better see Michael Turner in their. Team has 28 million to spend and all I see is a list of seconardary type players.

7. JetFanInPA

You can't be serious. You mean without Michael Turner this offseason sucks?

I'll bet Leon Washington would be just as good in San Diego behind that offensive line.

Top-tier free agents don't build a team. Solid drafting and smart free agent acquistions (like this mock) build a team. Don't believe me? Compare the Washington Redskins to the New England Patriots. You can't blow our $28 million in cap money in one offseason. You have to be smart and plan ahead.

8. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I like it alot, although the draft would probably go more like Moses in the 1st round, Beekman with that first 2nd rounder, and Harrell with the second 2nd rounder, but I do like it. I am not sure but I think Harrell is actually too big to be a 3-4 DE, isn't he liked 305 - 310? An ideal DE size is somewhere from 280 - 295. 300 at most. If he slims down, then I guess he could be good. I like your signings except for Nick Harper. He is way too old. I think with all the money we have we would either have to go after a very good CB or a very good tackle/guard. I like Dielman and Black, but I think we could do better, especially since we are not signing a top of the line CB. Mostly it is very good and realistic though. Also, Leak will not be there in round 7.

9. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

What Paul Williams are you talking about? Paul Williams played for Fresno State. And his reason for lacked production was because he sucked.

10. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Great offseason, sign me up. Probably would switch up Moses and Harrell, but either way, looks great to me.

11. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

I think Moses will shoot back up into the first round after the combine. He is definitely below Gaines Adams, but he has a chance to battle Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer and LaMarr Woodley with a stellar combine.

12. JetFanInPA

Oh my bad. I meant Fresno St...

13. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

i dont know about the 1st round pick. Ellis was from Tennessee and he has not really been the DE that we thought he would be.