Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Mets win. 10-1 and their coming home. Great job today by Wheeler. Rooting for him.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Wheeler certainly making his case for staying on the big club.

As Flores said after yesterday’s game, it’s nice to have these games in the bank for when the inevitable cold spell comes. They’ve already picked up 4 games on a 90 win pace (they only need an 86-win pace the rest of the way to win 90).

stinkyB and NYGalPal like this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Mattingly has never been a good manager, but pulling a pitcher throwing a no hitter for a team and fan base with so little to cheer for should seal his fate.

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Great to see Wheeler looking good.

Gsellman looks really good too. Most confident he's been I think. And he's drilling that sinker. Lugo has looked excellent himself

Plawecki x-rays negative.

JetBlue likes this.
  5. Walt White

Looking at our Bench coaches and Mgr., Callaway, Desarcina, and Eiland, compared to Miami and Washinton looks like we have an edge to me. We have excellent leadership too.

JetBlue likes this.
  6. statjeff22

I couldn't watch the game live, but was amazed to read that in a recap.I wouldn't have thought he would be the kind of guy to be a slave to a pitch policy (or whatever it was) in that situation. The only reason he won't be gone soon is that the cheapskate ownership group won't want to pay two manager salaries at the same time.

I can see Jeter's tenure as face of a franchise making Michael Jordan's look like Red Auerbach.

Edit: I read in the paper today that Mattingly actually has a history of pulling pitchers who are pitching great because of pitch count, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I've paid very little attention to Donnie Baseball in the last 20 years, so I obviously did not know that.

#7946 statjeff22, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    JetBlue likes this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Man this team is Fun to watch

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

LETS GO METS

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Plawecki's scan came back negative.. whew. Once they place D'arnaud on the 60 day DL I think they'll put Lobaton on the 40 man and call him up and send Nido back down.

10. statjeff22

Travis d'Arnaud - talk about a once-promising career that has careened from one disappointment to another. He's been barely adequate at the plate and way below adequate behind it, and constantly injured. Syndergaard for Dickey was still a great trade, but less of a highway robbery given how little they've gotten out of d'Arnaud. Sigh.

Catcher has been a black hole for the Mets for years, and it's unlikely to get any better this year. When you're longing for the days of Paul Do Luca, you know it's been a bad run, although he wasn't bad when he was on the juice (he was on it by his own admission).

Red Menace, Noam and Sam Hammer like this.
  11. dawinner127

That's why I was shocked we didn't make a move for Lucroy. He was a FA up until the very end of spring training IIRC.

12. statjeff22

You're right, and I think it reflects that management didn't really see this team as being true contenders this season, and wanted to save money. If they're still playing well in June they might consider going out and getting someone, but for now my guess is that they're going to wait and see.

13. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I figured Kevin Plawecki would be done. That hand looked bad. We have lost both catchers. I don’t think they can make a move that’s going to bring in a legitimate quality catcher right now. I don’t see us getting Realmuto.

14. Walt White

Hairline fracture so he'll be back after a while. In the meantime Nido/Lobaton :eek: No sticks there

Getting a guy towards the trade deadline may be something they do. Maybe a long term guy for the future too. If not next off season.

15. dawinner127

I would offer up wheeler for realmuto

16. statjeff22

d'Arnaud obviously out for the season, Plawecki 3-4 weeks, they say (which means?).

It's good to have a catcher with some ML experience, but wow, Lobaton is a really bad hitter (lifetime OPS+ of 70, making him 30% below league average)!

17. statjeff22

Lobaton with a triple in his first at bat as a Met! What was I talking about? He's not only a slugger, he's a speed demon!

(In case you didn't see it he blooped a ball down the left field line that Braun dove for and missed and it went all the way to the wall.)

dawinner127 likes this.
  18. Walt White

So glad Braun missed that.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Matz is not a power pitcher, why are they calling for him to throw so many pitches inside?

They should treat him like the Braves treated Tom Glavine, keep everything outside, and when they do call inside, make it off the plate.

He’s making a weak lineup look like the 96 Yankees.

20. statjeff22

Matz continues to get hammered on the home runs. It's exactly what Menace said above - a high pitch over the middle of the plate and it got smoked. He's not Syndergaard, but of course he's pitching to a catcher who has known him for less than a day.