McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by K'OB, Dec 31, 2017.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

2. abc

abc Well-Known Member

McCown & Mayfield... I could live with that in the interim... till Mayfield takes over hopefully no later than mid-season 2018.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I was having this discussion with my buddy last night ... the only way I want Mccown back on this roster is if we draft a QB in rd1 and we let McCown mentor the kid .
    It's that or you go get Cousins and draft a kid in a later round... those are the only 2 options that appeal to me.

4. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins are available and we aren't even going to look at them?! Come on!

dogg, FJF and FlaJet like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Now why would they look at them if they want to keep McCown ?

Morton clearly stated the other week he wanted McCown back, the players have just voted him MVP so you have to think they also would want him back.

I am steeling myself for the event that we will be seeing McCown back as our starting QB next season, I thought they would hit the FA and maybe take a round 3-5 project QB and keep Hack and release Petty but now I am thinking the team camaraderie will be to keep McCown and take a QB in the draft, maybe they will spend the Cousins money on other areas of need.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes...the Goal is to stop spending money on a Great White Hope (Cousins /Smith)..steel yourself from dodging a bullet lol
    When there are no playoff appearances with Cousins or one in 3 years people will look back in regret not getting a true FQB and doing it the right way with guidance from Josh...McGown NEVER was that talented but as a COACH ? Good fit

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My goodness..How can you NOT like this dude!!

I resented his performance this year because the draft position was being destroyed

Now I clearly see what spirit he brings to the team...you don't break this chemistry bringing in a hired gun

Fitz not talented McGown certainly never was a HOF QB but unlike Fitz not really hungry for $ just shows real lesdership and will help a kid develop..THE GOAL TO GET NEW KID PLAYING..

When l all is said and done we to draft a blue chip QB ...he sits a year like Geoff and Wentz (hopefully plays a bit) then takes over ASAP

Brook! likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

as much as I like McCown, I'd prefer Cousins plus drafting a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4.
    draft is deep at QB and could find value there.

but McCown plus a QB in round 1 or 2 would be good also.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I wouldn’t go qb this year if we sign cousins. Rather add as much talent as possible to the line and defense.
    Mccown is a must if we go the draft route

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I look at it as taking the best value.
    there is a lot of talent in the QB pool this year.

plus injuries happen, and our depth is lacking.
    Petty is done here, and Hack has only one more year to prove something. Time to restock and start developing another guy.

12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

As crazy as this may sound, but I want McCown back even if Cousins signs with the Jets - as long as it's not crazy money. He's a no-brainer if they don't sign Cousins and go QB in round 1. He's probably at a point where backing up a guy like Cousins is an option. He would also provide insurance in case of injury. Look at the Eagles, their season would be over without a guy of Fowles calibre taking over. This team is not that far away and with a Cousins/McCown tandem, along with a good '18 draft, could be a playoff team...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

I always wondered how he would've done earlier in his career, if he played for a team
    that had a good deal of talent. He is limited in his skillset, obviously, but surrounded
    by a talented cast, could he have replicated a season like Dilfer or Johnson?

Walt White likes this.
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I think you're right. There's other guys that won that he could play with if not better than. Not to say that we should build around that

15. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Thats what I think happens and it will set this franchise back a long time.

Reaching for Mayfield would be a typical headline grabbing move that would be a disaster on the field.

16. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Yes, let’s please bring back Fitz 2.0 and take away playing time from the young players. Nice guy but he has no future here and he can be brought back as a coach but his playing days are basically over. The guy is almost 40 years old now. You people are smarter then this...

abc likes this.
  17. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

We would not be reaching for Mayfield where we pick. He is a winner. Please, no more retreads. We need our own guy and need to do whatever possible to get one this year. I'm fine with keeping McCown, but only as mentor. Mayfield could start day 1, whereas some of the other guys could not. If we don't do this, it will set us back a long time. The only way for a team to sustain success is with a franchise QB that they grow with and build the offense around.

NYJetsO12 and abc like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree, up to a point. If there's a "Tom Brady-like" guy in the 5th or 6th round, maybe they take him and develop him behind Cousins.

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Let's keep this 5-11 party going man it's sooo much fun don't stop!

20. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

2 years younger than Brady ;)

Put in a good line and we can rumble on offence.

But only if we draft a high QB and keep him to ease in a new guy.