McCopter joins the Jets (1 year deal)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Mar 20, 2017.

1. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

This. McCown will likely earn $6 million to start a few games before he gets hurt again. If not, if Hackenburg or Petty can't beat him out to be the starter then it shows where they are at and if they will be the long term solution. I'm onboard with the full rebuild and time to do it the right way.

hwismer and zace like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

lol "rebuild" they haven't even begun to rebuild. this is the tear down stage. That part is easy and it's been accomplished by this organization numerous times.

tiger8mush and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

so the QB in 2019 is not on the roster, the entire coaching staff is not in the building, and yet you are claiming they will be "legit contenders" in 2019.. based on what?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

When was the last time they jettisoned all the highly-paid vets and signed a one-year stopgap QB with two young QBs already on the roster? Come on...

5. BrowningNagle

The last time?? 2014

6. BroadwayAaron

You mean when they were trying to build a team around Geno Smith?

7. BrowningNagle

no I mean when they jettisoned highly-paid vets and signed a one-year stopgap QB like you asked

8. BroadwayAaron

Except they didn't sign a one-year stopgap QB... they signed someone to backup Geno Smith, who was anointed the QB going forward.

9. BrowningNagle

ohhhhhh, okay lol

10. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

This is going to be a brutal year... no different than seasons past I suppose tho

11. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The difference was at least the young guys were going to get experience and be evaluated. Trial by fire. That was at least interesting.

Now we get to watch a 37 year old broken down QB stink up the joint. At least the Jets didnt raise ticket prices.

12. BroadwayAaron

I mean do you not see the difference? Or are you just ignoring it so that you can have something to complain about?

13. PulseJet

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

To be fair, Mangini built a good team, and things were going up. Rex won with Manginis guys and then when rex had his input, it went down hill.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

I think it's pretty clear that I do not see the difference.

I also see a similar ending. This next season will be completely unwatchable. The head coach and possibly the GM both will be fired after the season and this team will not be any closer in the "rebuilding" process than they are today.

At least John Morton will have a year on his resume with a QB that knows his "system." He can even tell him future employers that it would've worked better had he not been saddled with a stiff like Mcclown even though behind the scenes he vouched for him. He can say "see on film you see he ran my system which was fine, he was just limited in talent"

sweet deal. I can't wait

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think woody is inclined to give TB the time he needs as long as he improves his coaching abilities. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen tho.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BrowningNagle likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

ColoradoContrails, zace and PulseJet like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

So you see no difference between a second year player you chose in the second round that's under contract for three more seasons that you've annointed "the guy" that you've committed to build around and a vet on a one year deal?

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Brady retiring...

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. PulseJet

The Jets pay McCown $6 million for one year, the Bears pay Mike Glennon $18 million for 3 years. A guy who at least potentially could be a franchise QB. I am now officially off the Mac bandwagon.

From Walter Football:
    Jets sign QB Josh McCown (1 year, $6 million): D Grade
    When some deals are announced, the full details of the contract aren't revealed. That isn't the case here. The Jets are fully guaranteeing Josh McCown's $6 million. Why? I have absolutely no idea.

This is a terrible contract. McCown was atrocious last season, recklessly firing countless interceptions when he was able to stay healthy enough to take the field. McCown almost certainly won't play all 16 games in 2016 because he's always banged up, and even if he does, he'll suck. He's 38 in July, and he was never very good to begin with. I wouldn't have guaranteed McCown six dollars at this stage of his career; let alone $6 million.

The Jets appear to be the worst team in the NFL in the wake of this move. McCown can't win games, and he won't have the talent around him. This, however, will be a blessing (not sure it's quite enough in disguise) because the Jets will be able to land Sam Darnold, who is No. 1 overall in my 2018 NFL Mock Draft. And that's the only reason this signing doesn't warrant a Millen grade.
    Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#E6IWb6KGl84wbFz5.99