Maybe the pick is Cutler?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Guy, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

I was really wondering if the Jets planned on drafting Cutler #4 overall...and in reading this in the NY Post today, I am starting to think maybe yes?

"A league source told The Post the Jets have expressed a keen interest in Falcons left tackle Kevin Shaffer, an unrestricted free agent who's one of the better players at his position.

"That strongly leads me to believe that the Jets are going to go after a quarterback with their first-round draft pick," the source said. "If they want [Shaffer] that badly, then why would they draft [Virginia's] D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who's the best tackle in the draft?"

Neither the Jets nor Schaffer's representative returned calls seeking comment yesterday."

This might not be a bad play? Schaffer is only 26 and is a 2 year starter. He's big, strong and smart...although not huge, big enough at 298. If the Jets do cut Mawae and Kendall...then they can go after Schaffer and maybe trade Abe for another #1 to pick another OL...probably a RT who can run block and lead the way. There's also LeCharles Bentley who is a FA. If the cap is going to go up, the Jets might be able to make a play?

Schaffer, another G, Bentley, Moore, rookie #1 along the line? That's not a bad start in front of Jay Cutler. Interesting????

2. lightning

lightning Active Member

We still cannot rule out a trade up to #1, which may be even more possible if we have 2 first rounders

3. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Why would we trade up to #1 to draft Cutler?

4. lightning

lightning Active Member

Well it wouldn't be to draft cutler, we don't know exactly who they want. Can't fully trust any of these basterds that are writing these little tibits on who they're interested in and who they are not.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

What about the possibility of Jones moving to G and then drafting a RT like Colledge in round 2? If we shipped Abe to Denver in exchange for a #1 we could go Cutler, Mangold, Colledge. That eliminates the need to sign Bently and we would get the best center to come out in about 5 years.

Our OL would be Schaffer, Jones, Mangold, Moore and Colledge

I kind of like the sound of that OL....

If we made the trade to Denver and say Cutler was taken by Tennessee we can go with Hawk or Mario Williams. We could still build our OL with the 2nd first rounder and our 2nd rounder

#5 Barry the Baptist, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm hoping we get Denver's pick for Abe, take Nick Mangold with that pick and then best guard left in early 2nd round. I have given up trying to figure out what we will do at 4.

7. lightning

lightning Active Member

Our OL coach would also have his work cut out for him. But hey it worked for the giants.

8. W/ the Titans releasing Bruce Hopkins, I truly believe they will take Ferguson w/ the # 3 pick. W/ that in mind, at this moment,theoretically the best players on the board for us could be Cutler, Hawk and Williams. Of the 3, Cutler fills the biggest need, therefore we might hafta go in w/ the mentality of "Cutler or trade down" at 4.

Of course, this all goes out the window if the Titans prove me wrong and select one of the QB's at 3.

9. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I am not sure why anyone thinks we would be able to afford the #1 draft pick, there would be a lot more work to be done. Even the fourth is going to hurt.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

LOL...love the sig...I have one of their TShirts, that a buddy sent me a couple years back....Says "Nice Cans" (Same chick)

11. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I think what happens with Chad today will tell us if Cutler or Leinart will be a Jet. Since the report is that the Jets are already under the cap, I doubt the Jets would keep Chad (and still deal with that dead money at a later date) if they were planning to draft Cutler or Leinart.

12. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

If Tenn chooses to go the QB route at #3, I bet they go Cutler and not Young. He seems to be more of a Norm Chow (pocket passer) type than Young.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

If we ended up with Young I would not be upset, Wonderlic, and all. Somebody brought up that Marino got a 14 in Wonderlic. That's probably why we went with Ken O'Brien.

Not that Young is Marino, my point is a high Wonderlic does not guarrantee success.

14. njjet

njjet Member

I've liked what TB & EM have done so far. If they trade up to get a QB I'm going to root for the giants.

Trade down! We can get more quality players and not break the BANK!!