Matt Miller Sees Future in 2018 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by HomeoftheJets, Oct 30, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Mayfield will go before Jackson and Rudolph and should go before Allen unless some team is on drugs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If the Jets can get John DeFilipo or even Sean Payton, that could really pave the way for finally turning around our dumpster fire record at the QB position.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Yep. We need an offensive minded coach because the trend as of now, especially if you're drafting a young QB, is to pair that QB with an O minded coach so they can maximize their talent and help with the transition by forming the system around the QB. Jets need someone like that and even if we don't draft a QB and we somehow sign Cousins, we should still buck the trend of hiring defensive coaches. We've been doing it for what seems like forever. It hasn't worked, should try something new.

#23 grkmanga31, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If the Jets drafted a DE I'd just stop watching, let's just forget the fact his last name is Chubb.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed. The Jets have a long history of treating offense like an ugly step-child, an afterthought. It's like they really do believe that they can build an impregnable defense and whatever small contribution the offense can make will be sufficient. It's mind-boggling really, given the atrocious results they've gotten with that philosophy.

They need to step back and ask: When was the last SB appearance we made, and what was the team philosophy back then? It was Offense first, which flew in the face of the then NFL, pre-merger. Most here are too young to remember the aerial circuses that went on each week in the AFL, not just by Namath, but Daryl Lamonica, Stabler, Dan Fouts, and others. And yes, it SEEMED like they didn't play defense, but that wasn't true as the Jets proved in SB III - it was just that these QBs - and their coaches - knew how to devise and execute a productive offense.

But after Namath left, the Jets "brain trust" apparently decided that the "safer", "more dependable" approach was to build a stout defense and hope the offense could score just enough to win. It's a loser's mentality, and has resulted in a losing franchise. And as bad as that decision was and has been, it's even more stupid now with all the rules changes and directives from the NFL to to the officials to open the game up. If they don't wake up to this fact now, I'm done wasting my time on them because they deserve to go the way of the Canton Bulldogs.

Red Menace and grkmanga31 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's also telling that the only time that we had an offense that was pretty good over a longer period of time after Joe Namath, is when we had Joe Walton as HC, and that's one of the few times that we've had an offensive-minded HC.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Brady may extend his career a little longer if there's a chance to get pounded by a big green Chubb a few times a year

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I'm not sold on Cousins...I feel he'd be a good fit for the offense but he never showed me he's a guy who can win games. Plus his play this year has underwhelmed me.

I'd soon look into Teddy Bridgewater. Sign him to a 2 year, $20 mill contract and see what he can do in this offense. Petty remains the backup (just because you just don't know about Teddy's knee) plus petty would have another year in the offense.

The more I look at this QB class, the more I'm like ehhh...Darnold looks bad and needs another year. Allen has the physical tools, but a huge risk. Honestly if I'm looking at any of them, I'd go
    1- Mayfield
    2- Rosen
    3- Rudolph
    4- Allen
    5- Jackson

#28 Mogriffjr, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Still no love for Falk? Jackson, Rudolph over Falk?

Only thing Jackson has over Falk is arm strength and running ability, Falk is more accurate and cleaner in pocket than Jackson.

Rudolph does not even go through more than one progression, is that the type of QB the jets should draft? They have a backup that can do that already.

I'm not sold on Cousins either, feels like he is too hyped and really has not done much to deserve that type of hype.

#29 Red Menace, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Mogriffjr likes this.
  10. Red Menace

Fouts had some weapons though, made the QB position look very easy to play.

11. Mogriffjr

Yeah sorry about that. Falk would be my #5 guy. His arm strength remains a concern for me but I'd venture Falk would have the better career when it's all said and done over Jackson.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Red Menace

No need to apologize man!

I see Alex Smith when I look at Luke Falk, very calm and poised in pocket, with better accuracy. I wish Falk would scramble a little more just to extend play. Sometimes he's so relaxed he just takes the sack, I know he likes to hang in there but it's not always the best thing to do.

I believe his arm strength is adequate enough to get ball to Anderson.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  13. Mogriffjr

Good point. And as we see in this offense, McCown doesn't have a ton of arm strength but he gets the job done so I feel Falk will be more then fine if he entered in this offense (I think he has similar arm strength for comparison sake). Plus his decision making is pretty good from what I've seen from him.

Red Menace likes this.