Mason Rudolph Anyone?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not that they can't learn to read defenses, but it's a crapshoot as to figuring out if they can. You're taking a risk on a player and hoping he can do something that he's never done.

It's sort of like asking someone to drive stick shift at 65mph after they've driven an automatic since they started driving. And just tossing out that new driver on the highway in a manual car.

Can they learn to do it? Sure. But they can't just start learning to do it at a high speed.

I'm hoping that analogy makes sense.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I hear ya.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So, in trying to get a better understanding of an Air Raid system, and other variations of the Spread, I came across this:

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...-offense-smashmouth-option-air-raid-pro-style

And I still don't really understand why a forward-thinking coach couldn't adopt it to suit an athletic QB with a strong arm for the NFL. I'm not saying that Rudolph is that QB, but surely others - Pat Mahomes? - might be. I just think the NFL is overlooking a lot of potential with a rigid resistance to Spread systems. Obviously they have to be tweaked to account for the much better athleticism across the board, but I'm sure that can be done - everything is relative. And maybe you don't adopt it entirely, but in part. I just think with a team like the Jets, who don't have much of anything else, why not try something different?

4. Jonathan_Vilma

But you're looking at it the wrong way, just because no one runs a true complete rendition of the air raid system. The principles are very much alive in the NFL. Quick screens, crossing routes, the mesh concept/pick plays, rocket quick screen shots into deep passes, etc. are all used. It's just used in a lot more complex way, with a larger mix of concepts than just 5 or 6.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It absolutely cannot be your base offense. Safeties, corners and linebackers are much smarter and will put an end to that shit quickly. The routes are also limited.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

Okay...so what you're saying (and likely have been saying all along) is that the REAL problem with college spread QBs.not that there's no spread offenses in the NFL, but that there's that and a lot more, including even variations of the spread within the same offense?

That makes more sense to me, if that's what you're saying. Thanks for the Offense 101 lesson.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah I mean look at the Chiefs and how they run their offense. It's more like a spread option attack than anything.

The Patriots have been running a spread offense for years with the quick outs and quick hitting wide receiving screens and what not.

Air Raid principles are all across the NFL. But the Air Raid as a system is too simplistic to be the sole playbook a team runs with.

8. ColoradoContrails

Got it! Finally! Thanks!

But why does everyone assume Petty can't learn some variation of the Pats or Chiefs offense? Or is more that Bowles & Co. can't teach it?

9. Jonathan_Vilma

He hasn't been given the chance to show whether he can or cannot. He's another air raid type of quarterback in the long line of failed guys from that system that tried to make the NFL transition.

We'll see what he looks like when he gets the opportunity to do so. I like this system for him. It's a WCO by definition but Morton seems to spread the defense out and use shotgun in obvious passing situations. So it seems like a good fit for Petty.

10. ColoradoContrails

I'm really hoping we see Petty in action soon.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Everyone should go look up Case Keenum and Graham Harrell's college stats. They were even gaudier than Rudolph's...