Macagnan Playoffs or Bust

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Jan 10, 2019.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't see a scenario where Gase and Maccagnan are fired after 2019. It would have to be a truly horrendous season. That is hard to do in the NFL these days. The Cardinals are the #1 pick, were a complete mess, and still went (3-13). The Jets will improve on their 2018 record for sure. Playoffs? It is possible. I also don't like Jets fans' negativity already trying to boot Mac and Gase. The hope and goal is that they both succeed. That is what fans should want.

Chappy13 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

No he does not, the QB needs stability. If Macc gets fired, then Gase would likely go to. What sense does it make to have Darnold go through 3 different head coaches in 3 years.

The Jets have to be competitive this season, they need to be in it at the end of the year, perhaps they make the playoffs, perhaps they dont, but Mac/Gase have a 2 year window to at least show this team is playoff caliber. In theory to, if we don't make the playoffs and have disaster seasons, it likely is because Darnold doesn't come through.....you are essentially telling Darnold you must make the playoffs next season or else Mac and Gase are fired....this is a minimum two year window for the GM/HC

Also lastly keep in mind this, Bowles was the first Jets coach since Al Groh nearly 20 years ago to NOT make the playoffs. Its more likely the Jets will make the playoffs with Gase. Bowles left a bad stench in our mouths, but for a lot of us Jet fans, making the playoffs was the norm for our head coaches, not making the playoffs was out of the norm. I think the whole doom and gloom thing in regards to a crappy team is attributed to Bowles/Currently having the 3rd longest playoff drought in the NFL.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

a lot depends on free agency and the draft. all of that rests on the gm.

stay away from bell and brown. spend the money on offensive line, pass rushers, and maybe some rb or wr depth.

draft should be prioirtized as : lt, olb, de, cb, wr depth. the team should be a stronger 53, not a top 7 with mostly underaverage 46 behind them.

a lot of vets with large cap hits should be gone, then run as many draft picks and ufa's through the complex until you find 53 decent players.

look at what the bills did at metlife with cuts, street fas, and cuts/waivers/guys who never got reps in a real game, before that 41-10 shellacing.

hopefully, gase won't get hung up on some non-performing vets like bowles and rex did before.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If the Jeta dont go atleast 9-7 this year everyone will be fired I can assure you.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

With last season's roster, a decent HC would've gotten 8 wins out of that team. Hell, Bowles won 4 and they blew 4th quarter leads in another 4 games that easily could've been wins. Other than Myers, Roberts and Avery, not a single player had a career year or played above their contract. Yet the team was constantly handcuffed by coaching buffoonery, horrible game planning, zero half-time adjustments, wasted timeouts, excessive penalties, and so on and such as - and they still won 4 games in spite of all those things going against them, EVERY single game.

Gase is a better coach than Bowles will ever be. How much? That remains to be seen, but next year assuming there is not a catastrophic injury to a key player, he should get 9-10 wins and in the playoff talk by seasons' end. That should be the mandate. The last 8 years have been utter shit, this fanbase deserves a mandate that the good ship idiocy has sailed...

6. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

Just clean the house at the end of the year!

jets_fan and barfolomew like this.
  7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Well that escalated quickly.

8. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

It should depend on the draft and the performance of the team. This team is still full of holes. If Mac can get us a few more long term pieces, it's clear almost immediately that he's signed or drafted the right guys, MAYBE we can give him a little bit of leeway. But if he does nothing but sign a bunch of "low risk/potentially high reward" free agents, and his 1st round pick is yet another 3-4 defensive lineman who is "too good to pass up", I say fire him before the 2nd round of the draft.

barfolomew likes this.
  9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

This team is still on course to be truly competitive in 2020 whether we like it or not

No matter who the coach was this is just the reality of the situation

Of course we can and should compete for a playoff spot but I don’t see us having legit title expectations next year

Darnold becoming great quickly is the wildcard

10. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

He’s got 100 million 3rd pick in the draft if they aren’t 500 he should go we where a head in the fourth quarter in what 3 or 4 games?no reason what so ever with weapons. Better d coordinator and offensive line we can’t be 500

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think the Gase hire bought Macc a reprieve at least as long as his contract extension. I don't see how Gase would have taken the job knowing Macc is a lame duck. That being the case, Macc has two more years to stock the roster with players. Again, it still comes down to who Gase hires as his staff. Macc still has to provide quality instead of quantity for this thing to work.

Just like last year, I have ZERO expectations one way or the other regarding the Jets. As a result, its all upside. The Jets will be whatever their record says they are. So be it....

12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Do GMs work the final year of their contracts? I know coaches don’t but I don’t see why not for Mac.

For expectations I think on Darnolds improvement alone it should be 7 wins right there. Add free agents into the mix, I think the team should win 8-9 games at the very least. I want us to be in the in the playoff hunt until the end of the season at a minimum.