Mac says he doesn't need to see Hack play to Draft a Qb

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 9, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I thought he should have.as to why he didn’t? Either, the value was never there,in his opinion obviously, when we were OTC, he was higher on hack/petty than he is now, he was higher on this years prospects and wanted to let the kids go through a TC without looking over their shoulders.
    Probably a blend of all 3 actually. He will have to do something this year though. He can’t go 4 years without even coming close to addressing the qb position long term.

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He would make a pretty good backup, but hopefully Petty has progressed enough to be the backup.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The answer might be that Mac would have gotten crushed if he did this ,,,that out cry would have been ridiculous . I saw that Menace said that the sign of a good GM is he learns from his mistakes although this is true the sign of a better GM is he does not make many mistakes , and hits more than he misses ! Also you would think if you swing at a 2nd round pick YOU CANNOT MISS !

tbruner12 and Red Menace like this.
  4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Hint: The Jets already know Hack sucks (something those of us who actually watched him play in college have known for years).

tbruner12 likes this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

They had to basically re make Hack into a viable option here...And maybe Mac sees that it won't work but he's still VERY young for 1, and 2, he hasn't really had a chance to run the offense with viable talent. Remember, McCown had two veteran reliable WR's in Kerley and Kearse. Hack had a rather green Anderson, and Stewart/Hansen before the trade happened.

Hack very well may not be the answer but Mac sure won't reveal his hand at the moment.

hwismer, Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

pretty sure he's just making the point that whether hack plays or not, doens't change his draft strategy

FJF likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'm a Hackenberg supporter and still believe he has a chance to be a solid NFL QB. However, if he does not get on the field this year due to McCown's success, I have no problem with Mac and the Jets drafting a QB in 2018. That doesn't mean Hack is done with the Jets. He would just have to compete with the new QB. If one of them succeeds, it would be great for the Jets. If more than 1 succeed, could have a Jimmy G scenario like the Patriots. Petty is also still in the fold, in that scenario. If you think about it, You invested a 2nd, 4th and potential 2018 1st Rounder in QB's trying to find the future. Everyone acts like they are big swings and misses by Mac, but I consider them intelligent, calculated, risks.

hwismer, Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Falk and Mayfield won't last until the second or third rounds. Too many teams, too few good qb prospects. We have to go for it asap.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This is the whole problem in a nutshell reading all this guessing / assuming that Hack is not the answer - only because Bowles decides and continues to play a QB with no regards to the future of this franchise. A wasted pick is the first assumption and another QB draft that will land them another dud if Mac is given the button to push. And we're to trust him with that choice, again?

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with what your saying, but Bowles is not the only one seeing Hack and Petty. The CS is looking at these guys and determining that they are not ready or can't get the job done.

It's better that Mac wastes a 2nd and 4th rounder on a backup and a bust than a top 5 pick on a QB that ends up being a bust.

That's the reason I don't believe Mac will select a QB with a first round pick, if he selects a QB with a top ten pick, I think that will force Bowles hand into playing the young QB.

I would find it hard to believe the jets organization will stand by and let Bowles sit another young QB over a bottom of the barrel NFL veteran like Mcown, if they did that then they should be shown the door. At some point you have to start the young QB.

That would be amazing though, if Bowles sat every QB Mac selected preferring to play a veteran and telling everyone that young QBs are not ready.

#30 Red Menace, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Mac doesn't use a first round pick on a QB, how is he going to force Bowles' hand? It would be very easy for Bowles to say that a 2nd or 3rd round QB wasn't ready to play, but much harder to say that a first, particularly a high first round pick, isn't ready. The Jets' organization is Woody and Chris Johnson. Chris seems to be more on the ball than Woody, but that's not saying much.

We know that Mac has no power over Bowles. IMO there are only two ways that Mac will be able to force Bowles to play a young QB: one, if he doesn't re-sign McCown or sign any other FA QB; or two, if Chris Johnson changes the org chart and makes Mac Bowles' boss.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I screwed up, I meant for my paragraph to imply that by selecting a QB with first round pick he would force Bowles to play the young QB.

My bad, thanks for clearing up the point I intended to make.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No problem. I wondered if that was what you meant to say.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I do not think Mac was ready at the 2017 draft to ADMIT that Hack was a wasted pick in 2016. I think he (and everyone else) KNEW after one year that Hack WAS a wasted pick, but he was not ready to admit his mistake by taking another QB in the next draft. In 2018, I think he WILL be ready to acknowledge that Hackenberg will never start anywhere, but I guess we'll find out.

15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

You know, I have a more favorable than unfavorable impression of Mac so far. He's made a lot of good moves with some that haven't worked out, but that's okay. The one, huge glaring blemish is Hackenberg. I still cannot grasp or justify taking a guy with that college track record in the 2nd round. It continues to baffle me. What did he expect from him??

Well sounds like he's seen enough of him already at least

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do really not know what he seen in him, still after all this time ?????

Surely you heard about him running a pro offence at a young age and doing it well under a good coach, you do also realise he went to shit after his team was stripped of talent and his OL offered him as useful protection as a chocolate fireguard, playing with a new coach that did him no favours whatsoever.

What, what was that, oh yes that was right some report had him down as a potential number 1 draft pick before the second coach came along and ruined him, you know what maybe Mac thought he could take a chance and get the earlier version of Hack and not the shell shocked kid.

Surely you knew all of that though, as a Jets fan, I mean it wasn't fucking discussed to death on here all summer.

So for your own peace of mind and sanity it may be best to let it slide, even if you have to file it away as a mistake or whatever, it is done, it was done 2 years ago, get over it FFS, you think he is the only GM to make a reach ever.

ps please can some football god somewhere, anywhere click their finger and make Hack a success, the delight it would fetch some of us would be immense :rolleyes:

17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hence, I do still have a generally favorable impression of Mac. And that's fine to take a QB with that logic... But not in the middle of the 2nd round. I think Hack would have been better off getting chosen in like the 6th or 7th round where he didn't have these kind of expectations. Given his college experience, he needed a lot of time to sit and rightly got it in 2016 and hasn't shown it yet in 2017. I hope he does he does develop into an NFL player and maybe he still can. He definitely showed some improvement from 2016-2017 so hopefully he can take another step forward in 2018 and make the team.

K'OB likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

All true but you can't change what has been done so why worry about it now, it was 2 years ago, the lad is still only 22yo, Hell Petty is 26yo, so in short Hack has 4 years to get better, I know I know, not really going to happen but it is still a point, he will be here and maybe competing for what 2 more seasons ?

It will either click into place and he will beat out whoever is in the mix or he will show enough to be a perma back up and have a career season at 38yo or something lol

Also why do you feel the need to pile on the expectations just because he was picked in the 2nd round ? He was a round 2 pick but we were told he would be red shirted surely that would douse some expectations in reality, no ?

Saying all of that I am as desperate as anybody to get a damned good QB in green and white again :)

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I would not cry out if we got another QB..we NEED to keep trying

The outcry heard cross country was when the NY Jets drafted back to back Safeties!!!!!?????

What team does THAT?

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well if mccown is the starter again next year it would just add to the who's who QB list this team has managed to compile
    over the last 20 or so years.

of course watson looks like all world and we know mahomes is gonna be good.

hope a decent warm body is there next draft that we can at least commit to being our future starter.

would be nice to head into the 2019 draft for once WITHOUT looking for a QB.