Mac says he doesn't need to see Hack play to Draft a Qb

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 9, 2017.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

To all the people, including myself who felt that he would have to see Hack play this year in order to draft a Qb, In an interview Mac said that he didn't have to see Hack play this year to Draft a Qb this year. This tells me that he feels Hack is nothing more than a backup Qb

I was thinking that he was in love with Hack, but I don't think he would say something like this if he felt strongly about Hack as a starter. I feel he is sending a message that he is going to ride McCown all season, then Draft a Qb . We can Draft a good Qb picking between pick 10 &15. I feel there are maybe 3 teams that are willing to use a #1 pick on a Qb. Browns, Cardinals, Jaguars....maybe Broncos. There are 5 or 6 good Qbs so we should get one of them. My bet is we Draft Qb and go into camp with Hack, Petty, & our #1 Draft pick and our #1 Draft pick wins the starting job.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/christian-hackenberg-may-remain-on-jets-sideline-all-season/261032420

#1 BudJet, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Smoke and Fire which is it??

He's not a retard is he? Hopefully not why would you show your hand?

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

He is not showing his hand. He is just saying no matter what the jets do this year don't count out drafting a Qb. Whether or not Hack plays. Now I don't feel bad if McCown starts the whole season. And from what he's seen of Hack, he hasn't even been good enough to beat out Petty. Now I feel the more McCown starts the less faith they have in Hack as a starter and the better chance of drafting a Qb round 1.

FJF likes this.
  4. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

All Mac can do at this point is try to minimize the impact of the mistake he made. It's pretty clear that Hack isn't the answer at QB. The sooner we go in a different direction the better for the franchise.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The sign of a good GM, learn from mistakes and never repeat them. Not saying that Hack is not going to get a shot at the job again but this is a good approach.

I don't think they will select a QB with their first round pick, and he's probably going to wait till the second or third round to pick up Falk or Mayfield.

I believe Rosen is still in concussion protocol and that would scare the hell out of me if I'm a GM. Glad Mac is looking to grab anothe QB.

Hopefully he learns that at some point you have to move on from the bottom of the barrel veterans in the NFL.

#5 Red Menace, Nov 9, 2017
    Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He said in that same interview he has no problem bringing McCown back for another year..here we go again, history doomed to repeat itself.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

And you're surprised why??? Bringing back McCown is simply a repeat of what Macc did after 2015 with Fitz. Its what he does. We better all pray that McCown 2.0 ends better than Fitz 2.0 or we're still fckd at the QB position. Gambling on duplicating a career year is risky at best.

#7 Cman68, Nov 9, 2017
    CBG likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not really, I am sure Mac learned from his Fitz ordeal.

McCown should come back under a fair price, Jets should draft a qb and have these 2 on top of the depth chart with a decision between Hack and Petty. No 4 qbs.

Someone has to best McCown in camp.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PennyRoyal10 and FJF like this.
  9. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This is pretty accurate the way I see it, although there are some slight factors to consider:

1) He may have to trade up (or down) depending on how the board falls and to get the most out of the equity in the pick.

2) Mac's choices will likely be limited even if we do end up picking between 10 and 15? This team is far more talented than most thought and it wouldn't surprise me if they end up somewhere in the early 20's? I know when we're sitting at 4-5 that sounds ridiculous, but it's possible that the Jets go on a run and get opponents at the perfect time (they're missing top players?) and the Jets end up going on a winning streak?

3) It's POSSIBLE for the Jets to make the playoffs even if they go say 9-7? As ridiculous as it may sound, the JETS made the playoffs under Bruce Coslet with an 8-8 record. So although a 10-6 record is most likely where you MUST be to make the playoffs (even then there is no guarantee), 9-7 and 8-8 is still a possibility.

4) Now more than ever PARITY is the theme in the NFL. The phrase, "Any team can beat ANY team in the NFL" is more true now than ever before.

I apologize for digressing, but back on point, I do think Mac has already determined Hack was a bad draft choice. He'll never amount to anything. Therefore, Mac is ready to cut bait. Although I do believe he'll cut Hack and retain Josh McCown? These kids that remain need to EARN their playing time. The cream will rise to the top no matter what........

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If you still believe that Hack has any shot at being a starting QB in the NFL then you're really reaching. As I've said a million times before, the kid is training camp fodder. Move on.

tbruner12 and Vida like this.
  11. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Macc is not showing his cards to anyone. Anything is possible on draft day, and he is not going to let us, or anyone know what his plans are. If there is a QB that he loves, he will move up to get him. If not, he will go BPA or trade down if that BPA is a safety.

hwismer and Red Menace like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Of course he doesn’t need to see hack play. He looks out and sees hack not playing. This idea that the young kids had to play so they would know if they need to draft a qb was never really valid to begin with. You either know you have a qb or you need to draft a qb. Thinking you may have one is the same as needing to draft one.

13. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Christian Hackenberg must feel like a single fat chick watching her hot girlfriend make out with some guy on the dance floor just before the bar turns the lights on and tells everybody they're closing.

14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Not shocked by this. If you're young QB's can't beat out a joruneyman 38 year old QB then that usually means you'll be a bench warmer. I was a Hack supporter and he did improve, but not the point where he deserves playing time.

I think Macc, to some degree, recognizes that picking Hack as a 2nd round pick was a mistake - even if he won't publicly admit it. Also, I think Maccagnan recognizes that you cannot continuously sign old vet QB's off the scrap heap and have it garner sustainable success.

We will deff be addressing QB this off season, it's just a matter of whether it'll be a high priced FA like Cousins or a high pick.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

And she has to walk home because her girlfriend took the guy in her car ; )

16. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Hack hasn't demonstrated that he can lead this team, despite being given EVERY opportunity to be the guy. The decision to start McCown in a rebuilding year clearly shows that he just isn't an NFL QB. I suppose there's a chance things could click for him, but at this point in his career, I think it's more likely that he is a failed project and that we are drafting another QB next year.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

2 years in I wouldn’t write him off completely but the odds are slim for sure and his scholarship is over. Next training camp he is fighting for a roster spot. Either sign cousins draft a late round and petty/hack fight out for the 3rd spot or draft a qb high bring back mccown and petty/hack fight it out for the 3rd spot.

tbruner12 likes this.
  18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

A lot depends upon timing, and I can't see us counting on Hack/Petty to be the guy to pass in FA (Cousins), trade (Luck?), or spending a high draft pick on a QB in a seemingly QB rich draft. If we go the draft route, bringing back McCown makes a lot of sense to keep the seat warm until the newly drafted QB, or by some miracle Hack/Petty, is ready.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well if he knew that and Hack and Petty weren't good, why didn't he draft a QB this year?

NYJetsO12 and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  20. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Yeah, funny how people seem to conveniently forget that. Petty and Hackenberg are obviously awful, yet Maccagnan made absolutely no attempt to look forward in the draft, relegating the Jets to a year with a guy who had lost 22 of his previous 23 starts, and somehow this is viewed as sound management. Sounds pretty stupid to me. It's a lot more likely that he is just as bad at evaluating young QBs as he appears to be, which means that his opinions on Petty and Hackenberg now are no more trustworthy than they apparently were in training camp, or even in Hackenberg's case when he was drafted (certainly there isn't anyone in the world who thinks that that was a good pick with the benefit of hindsight, and it was a complete waste at the time, since they could have gotten him a round or two later if they really wanted him).

ColoradoContrails likes this.