Lunch Pail OL/DL

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJT73, Apr 19, 2018.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The problem with the Jets draft the last few seasons is that they've focused on drafting defense and defensive lineman. First everyone knows you need a good defense but offense also wins. We've neglected the offense. Second they've put too much into the defensive line and have forgotten that you don't always need to draft defensive linemen and offensive linemen to win championships. Through my years I've seen too many undrafted free agen dlinemen and olinemen pan out. To name a few on both sides

UDFA:Snack Harrison, Mike Divito, Brandon Moore,
    free agent journeyman: Howard Green, Steve Martin

I know the list can go on forever. That being said if you have can't miss projects like this year in Nelson, Zack Martin a few years ago certain left tackles and defensive ends I think you can find more than adequate players on both sides of the draft later on or in free agency or journeymen who can contribute. It's about time the Jets realize this and start getting offensive players and signing some lunch pail players.

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I've been wishing they would draft some Olineman for years. Especially now that the D'Brick/Mangold era is over. We need to protect the QB.

3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree. I would just say not early in the draft unless if the player is can't miss. You can find many good NFL offensive linemen in the 2nd, third or later rounds and free agents. The last ten years has been brutal with the neglect of the offense. It's obvious we are going qb with the third pick. In the third round it will be best available of ol, de/olb and rb. I have a feeling if Ragnaw, Daniels or one of the other centers fall we might go there. I feel the Jets look at Spencer Long playing center or guard and feel that they can release Carpenter and move Long to guard if they draft a center or play the drafted player at guard. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think the Jets will be taking a RB this year unless one they have valued as a 1st or 2nd round pick is sitting there at their pick in the 3rd round. I think the pick will be OL, DE, OLB or TE.

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Don't disagree with you in what we should pick but I think in round 3 or 4 if the right rb is there I think the Jets will draft them. I hear Penny is a late 2nd 3rd round pick. I think they'd go with him. You never know. Have to see how the draft goes and who is there. Another 3rd round guy is Arden Key. Heard he was a 1st round talent awhile ago but now dropping into the third. A week and a few days we'll know more. Can't wait to see who we get.

6. NCJetsfan

I agree regarding Penny, and if Michel or some other RB or player at another position they liked a lot dropped, they'd probably take him because he'd be the BPA.

I hope they don't like Key, as much as they need a pass rusher. I don't think he's it.

7. "My Favorite" is Martin

Had the Jets not traded up I would've been advocating taking Nelson at 6 or Chubb if he is still on the board even if he isn't a perfect scheme fit. They need to have a solid foundation so when we have the chance to grab a QB, the team around him is ready. The set up for Sanchez to succeed (at least early on in his career) was perfect. He just wasn't the guy.

8. NCJetsfan

The problem with the approach you advocate is that if the rest of the team is built up, the team's record will be so good that they won't be within a reachable range to draft one of the best QB prospects. They're reduced to having to hope they get luck with a QB taken in the 2nd round or lower. That is neither any way to get a FQB or to build a team. You have to go for the QB when you get the chance. There are so few quality QBs and they are most important. Players at the other positions are much easier to obtain.

#8 NCJetsfan, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    CotcheryFan and Martin&theJETS like this.
  9. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

First mention I have heard of Key. If we get him in the 3rd yes please. The man is a baller, I seriously doubt he falls out of the 2nd though.

I’m not for drafting an RB this year, we are set. McGuire is the future Powell, need to find our future hammer but we have time. The crow will be that guy for awhile.

10. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Hoping some O line talent falls to the 3rd and we jump on it. D line id prefer to wait till rounds 6 or 7

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Really hoping Frank Ragrow is there in the 3rd.

I feel like our 3rd rounder has to be OL, OLB, or TE.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. "My Favorite" is Martin

I mean you build a team and then you trade up for the QB you want. The Jets were picking 17 the year they traded up to 5 for Sanchez. Todd McShay had graded him higher than any QB in this draft tbh. He just didn't pan out.

13. NCJetsfan

You can't always trade up. Usually the teams picking in the top 5 need a QB and they're not gonna trade out if they do. Even if you are able to find a team willing to trade, when you have to move up that far, it's gonna cost a bloody fortune in draft picks that's gonna hurt your team for the next 5 years or more. That's no way to try to build a team or sustain a team at a high level. Further, your way is what the Jets have mostly been doing since Sanchez. They've gone with JAGs at QB, tried to build up the D, and haven't even done that well. They shouldn't have had to trade up this year. They could have taken a QB last year and not even had to trade up.

#13 NCJetsfan, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Looks like the Jets are bringing in some d-linemen this week. None turn the dial but seem to be the lunch/pail type guys I was looking for. If they add depth and help out that is fine by me. I think they're trying to sign these guys so they don't have to use many picks on this position. Looke for us to sign UDFA for this position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rking-out-veterans-lamarr-houston-chris-jones

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/23/jets-working-out-two-free-agent-defensive-linemen/