Louisville vs. Rutgers

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Big Poppa Naich, Nov 7, 2006.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Rutgers is not in the NY market, it's closer to Philly and NY does not care about College sports. it's a nice little story right now but once they lost a game it will be gone.

Northwestern is in the Chicago market and they care more about college sports in Chicago then we do in NY.

2. nyjunc

Coker is not a top coach, Schiano is proving to be. coker inherited maybe the most talented college team of all time.

Schiano wouldn't be considered just another Miami coach b/c he is following Coker and they hate Coker. he'll be a God in So. Fla. and throughout CFB.

Barnett left too late, he could have gone to ND but stayed then left when it was too late.

Rutgers is not NY's team, most NYers don't even know where Rutgers is and NY is not a college town. NY does not care about college sports, even when St. John's has good basketball teams no one cares.

The NY media will not get behind rutgers anymore than it gets behind SH or SJU basketball. No one cares about college sports in the NYC area and Rutgers is NOT a NYC metropolitan area team.

3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Empire State Building was red last night in support of Rutgers last night, the reason NY hadn't cared about college sports was because no one was good close to NY remember Rutgers was horrible just 2 years ago, if he can use the recruiting area that he can pretty much own to himself and establish something, this team could very well be the team to capture the hearts of the metropolitian area.

4. nyjunc

Who cares? the average NYer dos not know where Rutgers is. I am sure they have done it for SJU and SH but no one cares about those teams and they are NYC area teams while Rutgers is not. Just look at how great the Nets and devils have been the last decade +(for the Devs) and last 5 years for the Nets and still no one cares about them. Rutgers could win the Nat'l Title and still no one in NYC would care.

5. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

WOW.

WOOW.

As a Rutgers student right now, I have to say that I am beyond the most excited I have ever been for a footbal game at any level. That was amazing. Everything. The fans, the game, the streets of NB after it, all the support for the program. It's insanity.

I was trying to find the post that someone made to me a month or so ago about how it was inevitable that I wouldn't be able to resist my school as my team for very long, and well, you're absolutely right. I never thought it could, but I couldn't imagine anything else right now. I nearly teared up just watching the highlights of this game, much less the game itself.

I was there for the whole first half, but had to head back to the radio station for the 2nd half in time to do the postgame show. It was getting sequentially more and more insane as it went on, first all the fans outside before the game started, the the atmosophere in the stadium, then of course the end, and the people on the streets in New Brunswick. Amazing, just amazing. The best was all the callers that were alumni from years ago on the postgame talking about how special this was for them.

And to all the people trying to draw the attention away from what a huge accomplishment this was for Rutgers, why don't you just go away. Seriously, I guess being some know-it-all on a message board gets you off in some way, but trying to steal the spotlight from this win is beyond sad.

6. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

i think you're overstating a bit junc that NO ONE cares but you're correct that mid/south jersey is much more associated with philly/pa then nyc so rutgers definitely isn't a nyc area team.

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Northwestern is a private college trying to compete against huge state schools in the Big Ten and will never be able to recruit against them. Rutgers is a huge state school that can corner the market on east coast talent, and contrary to what you say it is in the New York market. The NY media was there last night, the Empire State building was lit up scarlet. Syracuse would be the closest competitor for this huge market and Rutgers figures to beat their brains in for years to come.

8. Italian Seafood

Also not true. The Nets and Devils have direct competition that is not only at MSG but much more established in the market. Rutgers has no such competition. That's why they still have such a huge fan base despite a century of losing.

9. nyjunc

It was a special night, the NY media will not be w/ them from now on.

My God after 1 good year the Rutgers nonsese has to stop. I see people talking like this is the next FSU and it's insane. people are actually saying RU is a better job than Miami. Has anyone who is saying these things followed CFB for more than this yar?

This team is FAR from Great, they are a GOOD tam in a weak conference. They are not legit Nat'l Title contenders and people are acting like this will be an every year thing from here on out. Take it easy, enjoy this ride b/c it may never happen again.

10. nyjunc

The Knicks and rangers have stunk while the Nets and devs have been great. Most of the time winning teams get bandagon fans but these teams barely have any. No one will ever care about RU football in NYC b/c NYC is nto a College town, we are a pro sports town.

11. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

You know what Junc. Screw you. Seriously. Screw You. I don't care if I get suspended for this, because I am so sick and tired of your condescending bullshit in every single thread you post in. All you do for 90% of the year is bitch and cry about how much of a joke college football is, and now that there's some increased interest in it because of a great cinderella story, you go out of your way to put Rutgers down.

There are so many people just trying to enjoy the moment after so many years of losing, and you just couldn't help yourself, you had to come in here and say all this bull about Coach Schiano leaving, and how Rutgers is a one shot wonder, and how no one really cares, it's ridiculous. Go do something. There comes a point in your life where you either grow out of being an internet dick, or come to realize that that is your true personality, apparently we know which way you went on that one.

Maybe if you took the time to remove your head from your ass you'd have actually taken notice to what's happening with the program. We know that this team isn't winning the national title this year, or next year, or the next, but we know that Sciano is building this thing into something damn special. Maybe you're too blind by the "business of college football" and how Mack Brown bolted the sorry Tar Heels when he realized that he could get a much better situation at Texas. You know what, that sucks, but Schano is the Scarlet Knights head coach, and he will be as far as we're concerned until he accomplishes what he wants for this school.

Why don't you just go post your BS in one of the handful of other articles you're actually competently capable of posting in, I'm sure some Met fans need to be harassed out there, or maybe a Villanova fan wanted to talk about how he thinks the Big East will be this year. Thank You.

LETS GO RUTGERS. Asshole.

12. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Unless fans storm the field in a not so important game. Beating a top 5 opponent is always cause to storm the fan. When we (VT) beat Clemson, the idiots rushed the field. They were like 10 and overrated and we weren't going anywhere anyways.

13. nyjunc

Now you are a big RU fan? You have been Mr. Miami the last 5 years and now RU is good and you are a big RU fan? What a joke. Why aren't you talking UM football?

Believe what you want to believe but RU will never be big in NYC.

I apologize for ruining your moment but it gets tiring seeing people talk about Rutgers like they are Florida State. People are talking like they are now an elite program and will be there forever and that's a joke.

Stop w/ the personal attack nonsense, be an adult and debate the topic. When RU becomes big in NYC you can shove it in my face and tell me you were right(but will you be a UM fan or Rutgers fan if that happened?).

14. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

Who are you exactly adressing with this nonsense? There may be a few bandwagon jumpers with limited knowlegde of College football running around Easton Ave this morning that fit this description but nobody here does.

Everybody here realizes that RU is not a Nat'l Title contender.

Everybody realizes the Big East is not the Best conference.

Everybody realizes that Schiano may bolt after the season.

Enough allready.

I used to work for Schiano and the football team while I was at RU and I'm still elated after this win because I know how hard those guys work and they really deserve it. I'm going to enjoy the win and I don't need to hear all that I just posted above because I allready knew that.

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

this is absolute hilarity. 2 posts up in the thread the guy admits he wasn't a Rutgers fan a month ago and now he's attacking people for ruining the "moment". doesn't get much better then this.

16. Italian Seafood

The NY media has always covered them, just not to the magnitude of last night. The Post always has a writer at the game and an article the next day, usually one or two leading up to a game. Rutgers has had their games on the primary NY TV stations for decades, mainly ABC channel 7, MSG, etc. That is the NY market, plain and simple. Again, there is no other D-1 major college program here, so there is a huge untapped market for Rutgers to draw from.

This is the second good year, they made their first bowl game last year and have built upon that. Nobody who has watched the program is saying it's Florida State, but it is definitely on the rise, not just a one year wonder. That is impossible in college football, it took Schiano years to get to this point. As much as you want to piss on the parade, junc, it's not as simple as UNC hoops buying a couple of NBA guys for a year before they hit the pros. It's a work in progress that is now garnering results. Could be the tip of a huge iceberg.

#196 Italian Seafood, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  17. Italian Seafood

It doesn't matter that the Knicks and Rangers have been bad, they are still there with their fan bases and media dominance. We're only 12 years removed from them having simultaneous Finals appearences (1994), this generation of sports fan was around for that, it doesn't go away that quickly.

18. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

This wasn't a debate thread, it was a celebration thread and you went out of your way to be a pessimist and turn it into a debate thread, which you do way too often on this forum.

19. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

That was so totally worth the suspension.

20. 3rdAnd15Draw

Disagree. You can't be a fan of a team for 2 weeks and then fly off the handle like that. The poster has no credibility.