Leveon Bell will not sign franchise tender or report to Steelers - am I missing something?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by WarriorRB28, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Okay, cool.

Pick any 2 NFL running backs with ~400 yards. Combined, they won’t impact a game like Kareem Hunt does.

Production from one player >>>> combined production from 2 players

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Indeed, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I think you have misunderstood the post tbh.

Their stats are bulked by a one off game v Denver, Hunt pisses all over our RB's and he hasn't been as good as last year and he still light years ahead of Crowell

Big Cat likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

If you upgrade the line, you can. 4 ypc can be easily duplicated. Bell alone does nothing for this team.
    Look at the Team Hunt is playing on. The D needs work but that O is loaded.
    Connor has been exceeding Bells production in Pitt. You just don't over pay a RB, especially not one with bells baggage.

4. TonyFtLaud

What does it matter where the production comes from. 1 RB gaining 100 yards and 2 TDs on 25 carries for example is no better than 2 RBs gaining 100 yards and 2 TDs on 25 combined carries.
    Having Hill Kelce and Watkins along with Ware are a big factor in Hunts success. Plus he's a young guy with less wear, hasn't had the knee surgery, groin injury and off-season core surgery like bell.

5. TonyFtLaud

Yeldon looked good when he was the lead back filling in for Fournette , and Coleman is dangerous Everytime he touches the ball, but my point really was, both have out produced bells #s from last season on lesser teams. Overpaying a RB, or any player really, takes $ away from building a complete roster. Yes we have $96 million in cap space, but a ton of holes and free agents. Making a splash in FA isnt the answer when trying to build a roster. Especially with a player who carries so much risk.

6. K'OB

I am not keen on Bell but I guess the difference between a star RB and two average RB's is the plain fact they can make something from nothing at any moment but as you say we need a fucking OL to help either option out.

BTW it would be best for us to draft the next talent and get one cheap for 4/5 years, ie Kamara/Hunt/Connor in the third, nevermind we Took Ardarius Stewart when Hunt was still on the board :D:D:(

TonyFtLaud and Big Cat like this.
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

But you can draft a 3rd round RB and match Bell's production

8. K'OB

we can't though

Big Cat likes this.
  9. The Waterboy

The thought behind my response being if the Jets build up the O line like the Steelers did then a 3rd round pick can produce very good numbers. Basically $17M for a RB is ridiculous. Spend that money on O line and WR, good RB play will follow.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. Big Cat

Bell is unique in that he brings as much of an impact as a pass protector and receiver as he does as a runner. Also, I think he’s a rare running back whose running style doesn’t depend on the offensive line being that great.

He’s a 27 year old transformative offensive playmaker in a year where we have a shit ton of cap space and no one else to spend it on. I’d be aggressive for him.

WarriorRB28 and FJF like this.
  11. K'OB

Oh I know and agree but we still can't draft correctly ;)

The Waterboy likes this.
  12. The Waterboy

So unique that a 3rd round pick came in and replaced his production. Building the line will also help with the pass game more than a RB who is good in pass protect.

13. Big Cat

What do you suggest we do with all this cap space? Sign another offensive lineman like Spencer Long? Or maybe another lockdown corner like Trumaine Johnson?

Good players don’t hit free agency often. Cap space is pretty much only useful for retaining talent, not acquiring it. Since we have very little talent that needs to be re-signed, I’m all for spending big on the best offensive playmaker to hit the market in recent memory. We’ll still have $80M+ leftover to sign a bunch of other marginal players off the scrap heap.

FJF likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

How quick did last seasons $82 million go? With 30 free agents to replace , hopefully upgrade, money goes fast.
    So your answer to over paying Johnson is to way over pay Bell. A RB who is only concerned with getting paid. Who has a history of injuries and drug suspensions. Who likes to start beefs with teamates and coaches on Twitter and rap albums. What could possibly go wrong?

15. Big Cat

It didn’t go. We sat on a shitload of it and rolled it over to this year.

You don’t become a good team without taking risks. We could play it safe, sign some low profile free agents and sit on tons of cap space again. Roll out a 6-10 team, get a top 10 pick, look forward to all the cap space we have... Groundhog Day.

Or we could sign a proven, dynamic offensive player. When’s the last time we did that?

FJF likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

Over 63 million went. We have a ton of cap space because Mac signed a ton of 1 year deals. Those players have to be resigned, replaced.
    IMO we need to sign several FAs, not guys coming of IR on short deals.
    I get your not willing to see the many red flags Bell brings, but there is so much risk with signing him, especially at the #s being projected , coupled with the fact that he is a shit teammate and could easily cause as much harm as good is enough of a concern for me to pass.

17. Big Cat

Of course he has a ton of red flags. Injuries, drug suspensions, sat out an entire season over a contract dispute...

He’d also be our best offensive threat in years at a time where we’re desperate for them. You have to take risks to get anywhere in this league.

FJF likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

bell is going to be highly motivated to show he can do what he did in pitt anywhere.

19. The Waterboy

You seem to keep avoiding the fact that because of the O line Pitt has, Conner is equaling the production of Bell. If investment in the O line can produce the same with a 2nd year, 3rd round pick, why would you want to throw $17-$20M a year at the position.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Brandon Marshall.

TonyFtLaud likes this.