Lets talk defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Jul 7, 2018.

1. I dont disagree but this is Bowles MO.He believes in blitzing heavy in the A/B gaps & from DB packages. Im not sure this will change even w a legit edge presence.What may change is how effective the blitzes actually are

tbruner12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to see tangible improvement from Adams, Maye, Leo, Lee, and Jenkins to help pick it all up. I'm not familiar with Williamson but he needs to be good for us.

I can definitely see more sacks from Leo, Adams and Lee and am expecting that. If Anderson/Shep can be a factor we should be better. Maybe that helps Bass or Donahue somehow too.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

A true edge rusher can change up the "blitz style", you'd hope perhaps on some packages you send less to the QB and still be productive. I don't mind blitzing, but opportunity is everything. At some point, the Jets need to be able to win sending 4 or 5 guys, that will be an issue this season. This to me is one of Bowles biggest challenges, generating a pass-rush especially in the 4th QTR, because the Jets were up in a lot of games last year, you have to close games out and we need an outside presence.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Reading up on Williamson, he's going to be a tackling machine for us. He's an upgrade over Davis because Davis couldn't shed blocks and be physical on a snap by snap basis. Davis used to get turned around plenty of times, but Williamson, he's going to be solid. Williamson however, do not depend on him to cover. The Jets are going to depend on Lee to be that guy. Bowles, I am assuming is hoping that both players cover each others deficiencies. The run defense should be much improved this year and I think that was one of the goals for the FO.

Walt White likes this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Good point. Gotta get a guy next year some how.

tbruner12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  6. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

If Lee hasn't figured out coverage, it may benefit us to blitz him and have Maye or Adams cover his responsibilities in coverage.

Maybe Coach Kevin Green can turn one of those OLB's, Bass, Donahue, Martin, Jenkins, into a bad ass pass rusher.
    Or maybe we get lucky and draft a modern version of Lawrence Taylor.