Leonard Williams is NOT the great player we thought he was

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 15, 2017.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Jesus....

Fucking Jets fans man. This is obvious on why he isn't getting a ton of sacks. Watch the games, understand the scheme better. Not rocket science.

Flashy stats don't make you a great player on the DL.

101GangGreen101 and Sam Hammer like this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Ok Vilma I guess we are seeing two different players. When I see a player drafted 6 or above I really expect a complete player that can make an impact right away. Watson is doing that and he might hit the rookie wall at some point but he was there and was a real need for the Jets. Two safeties was not a urgent need and Bowles and Macc need to lose their jobs especially Macc because he is trying justify Hackenberg and its affect the Jets draft stratergy. Like other have stated pretty well we need to quit this all defense drafting and start catching up to the league and score some points because we sure aren't stopping anyone.

3. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Exactly.... it's pathetic. Defense needs a full unit to succeed so any drafted D players impact is significantly smaller than an O player. If you draft a stud Jamal Adams the team can just attack your buster skrine. But if you draft a good offensive player, that one player can make a bigger impact because they can score points. The only D player the jets have drafted in the last decade or so in the first round to fully earn the merit of being picked in the spot picked is Revis and Mo was a good pick for end of first round but has recently lost all credibility. Sheldon was talented enough for the spot taken but not worth the headache unless that second round pick we stole somehow leads to us getting the franchise Qb

boozer32 likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Ok well we're also near the bottom of the league in rush defense, total defense and can't get a stop when we need it at the end of games.

So what impact exactly is he making that's severely helping this team?

We're 27th in total yards and 28th in rushing yards per game. The defensive line as a whole does not have a sack on the year. They've been awful. We're also 31st in the NFL in sacks and one of only three teams still in single digits in sacks.

#64 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    94Abraham and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He was BPA... Isn't that enough for you?? Sheesh.. some fans..

boozer32 likes this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I've come to really hate those three letters. Heck any person on this board can do a BPA. It's lazy scouting and it tells me you want to go home early on draft day. In the Jets case why do they even go to the combines and scout year round.

#66 boozer32, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Doesn't take a lot of work true. If you don't utilize him though, he might as well be a 7th rounder.

boozer32 likes this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

So, think about it. Is it the player or the talent around the player that's lacking?

You're making my point for me and I don't think you even realize it.

Leo is being targeted in every game. If he's not getting doubled, the play shifts. If the play doesn't shift, he's being doubled. I've even seen him doubled then, stunted by a RB there after this year.

Wilkerson just hasn't been the same player he was since his injury.

McClendon is solid but isn't of the same mold as a Snacks or Jenkinson was for this team.

The scheme has been predicated around a lot more disciplined gap responsibilities as well this year, we are not doing bad at this on the DL for the most part. I've seen the DL struggle at times too but not consistently. The linebackers are given chances to make the plays that need to be made but the skill gap has been below par in this area most of the year. Primarily with Darron Lee. Davis has been much better than I expected considering his play when he was here, compared till now. Still, it could be upgraded.

Point is, if we're being honest. The talent on defense isn't that good as it has been in recent years. We've improved the talent in areas. Primarily in the secondary but it can still use some work too.

The scheme has been designed this year around the fact that this defense, the talent on defense, just isn't that great. So Bowles has created ways to mask the weaknesses and minimize the damage.

I don't think this defense will be all that good at any point this season but I think Bowles has done a damn good job of limiting the damage done by opposing teams.

The Pats game was a great example of the scheme he's using. Really watch that game on defense. You will pick up on a lot of things that are being done that make you scratch your head at first but then if you look at it deeper, you start to understand why this scheme is more "vanilla" then it had been in previous years.

Leo will shine, he will have his time to shine. Giving up on him already is absurd in my opinion. Especially when you look at the parts around him. He's a really good player but he isn't the entire defense. When a team can key in on players in this way because of the lack of talent around said player, there is absolutely going to be a drop off in production. It's common sense.

Andy_M likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If what you say is true - and I'll defer to your expertise - how in the hell can all of the investment on "D" produce such a poor return? Or is it poor coaching? Or both?

Whatever the reason, it's inexcusable.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Keeps coming back to injuries with Leo and Wilk. Even this year it's a new one with Wilk. It can be true for sure, but just really wonder if there's more to the story. Leo is locked here for a while, but wonder what will come of Wilk if he doesn't show anything this year. Can't keep him at close to that salary...

I have hope Leo turns it around one way or another.

Also brings coaching and usage into question, of course

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree that injury is an easy fall back, but I wonder if Wilkerson is just not the same player. I've seen a mix of him not giving a shit and him also trying. But regardless, he's not going to be back next season, especially at the number he's playing at. Big Cat hasn't been effective in awhile and the fact that Baldinger points to the lack of hand use means he's either hurt, or the coaching and utilization is not what it should be.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

IDK some play calls were terrible like when they deicded to drop back 9 and only rush 2. putting wilk in coverage was a joke and gave brady all day. that was on the 47 yard pass to cooks BTW. everyone knows you NEVER give brady time. you rush him all day. he gets rattled when you hit him. but letting him sit back in the pocket makes him unstoppable

14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It seems they also misuse Wilkerson. On that Patriots 1st and goal from the 1, Wilkerson spread out to the side for some reason, when the play seemed obvious to be a run. I'd normally think he'd be lined up tight near the middle when protecting the end zone with just 1 yard needed. That literally made no sense to me. Wilk's forte has always been playing the inside.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think eventually these guys will start eating, perhaps Mo isn't there physically could get stronger as the year goes on ... I think the sacks wil come

16. I think he's a very solid 2 way DT who fits any scheme.But a playmaker he is not.That was the knock on him in college

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

A little help from the outside would go a loooooong way. Jenkins is not looking like a sack guy, he's an edge guy. Seems like Donahue was around some before he got hurt.
    They really need Ealy from the outside who was playing with one arm himself.

Martin's back I believe now also. Between Martin, Donahue, Bass, and Mauldin maybe, and a draft pick, they gotta get that player to make a difference.

#77 Walt White, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  18. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Like I already posted on page 1 of this thread. A good HC puts his players in position to SUCCEED. Toilet lines up Leo on the inside so he can consistently double teamed??? You realize Toilet has a history of doing this?

How many posters here think Darron Lee is being utilized correctly in a 3-4 hybrid?

How many people thought Sheldon was utilized correctly last season at OLB?

The facts are our HC and DC are IDIOTS that do not put their players in the best position to succeed............

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think any of the linebackers we have now outside of maybe Donahue will be long time contributors for the Jets. They need a difference-maker that can win those 1 on 1 matchups on the outside. Mo and Leo are always being double teamed, someone else needs to win that matchup. Once that happens, that will open up things on the inside too. IDK, what happen with Jenkins, really liked him coming out of Georgia. He had a good end to his rookie campaign

Walt White likes this.
  20. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be nice if all the players would gel at once ... when our line was fire we had no corners and so on ... one thing I wanna point out is how Claiborne has quietly had a stellar year going up against other teams numbers ones so kudos to him !