Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. I don't wanna get too far into this..it takes away from the thread & makes anyone involved seem self absorbed.

I have no problem accepting that I can be a bit pigheaded & aloof with my opinions. I never intend to present ideas as fact however I form my opinion by viewing things from all angles...good & bad. I try to stand for reasonability & above all else just want what is best for the team to actually WIN in our lifetimes. If you found our debate exhausting...well it was likewise. This is an extremely intense discussion that has drastic implications on the teams immediate & long term future.

As for what you did? It was more your attitude & tone. You kept suggesting all my ideas were made up "Bullshit". My opinions however they are presented are rarely fact...but they are not pulled out of my ass either. You don't have to like me, don't have to agree with me & dont need to converse with me. But dont question my credibility or suggest I dont know what I'm talking about. I vehemently disagree with your position on Cousins...but did I ever suggest you had no idea what you were talking about or that you were pulling shit out of thin air?

FWIW i hold no grudges & hope we can move forward from this.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You keep calling the stats meaningless... why? What else do you need to see in order to understand the Skins defense was bad and their offense was good? I need to know so I can provide it for you, and I know that proof exists because that’s literally what happened in real life.

I read your post. It was a lot of hot air, no offense. It’s full of a million ways to tell me the Skins were average and that it’s Cousins fault. I provide you with more than enough statistical proof that you might be off base on this one and you respond in a tizzy about how stats are meaningless

3. BroadwayAaron

I don’t want you to think I was calling your opinions bullshit. I never did that. I wouldn’t ever do that. What I was calling bullshit was the stuff from yesterday where you said people were calling Cousins the savior, he was going to get $34 mil a year and that I said he could play for ten years.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Another irrelevant point? So are you saying Garoppolo is also an irrelevant point? Because you brought him up.

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Okay, so you’re argument is that the Redskins defense is the reason for their record. Got it.

Their offense wasn’t the problem. It was above average. Got it.

I don’t particular care so much about the stats, the record, or the players injured.

These are the things you keep circling around.

I don’t agree with you on a lot of those points. In the end, that’s not what matters to me though.

For the last time.

My point.

If Cousins comes here, why are so many so sure it’s a good thing? What makes people believe he will be the savior for this team? How is signing him to a monster contract not going to hinder the Jets in the short and long term?

I ask because I look at the team he is about to depart from and he’s not leaving a very big winner for that team. Barely above the mark.

With a good offense and poor defense. He didn’t get it done. That team didn’t get it done.

I look at our roster, the talent on this team, and the many holes we have, and I ask myself....

If he couldn’t do it with them, how can he possibly do it here?

That’s the only thing that really matters anyway.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on what Tebow has to do with this? So confused.

7. BroadwayAaron

I didn’t say the Redskins defense is the reason they were 9-7. I brought up plenty of relevant stats to hammer home the point that blaming a team record on a QB is irresponsible. You don’t care about the stats or injuries or record... but you keep bringing up the Redskins TEAM performance under Cousins. So that’s where my confusion is and why I’m trying to provide stats and facts on what could have played bigger roles in their mediocrity than Cousins did.

The questions you have about how Cousins would fare with this current team are fair. But this current team isn’t the team he’ll play with. We have picks. We have money. The holes will get plugged unless we strike out in epic fashion. We have young guys that will get better just because they’ll have a competent QB throwing them the ball.

And really do the questions surrounding Cousins outweigh the questions surrounding a rookie that hasn’t played a single snap in the NFL? I mean to me the questions are far more abundant when you’re looking at drafting a guy at 6 who probably isn’t NFL ready and will have to rely on the Jets getting him there.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Redskins O-line was in shambles this year. Cousins had no weapons and the ones he had were injured and he still threw for 4,000 yards and a 27-13 TD/INT Ratio. Obviously that looks good to any Jets fan. The year before he threw for 4,900 yards and a 25/12 ratio. 2015 he threw for over 4,000 yards and a 29-11 ratio. You would sign up for that any day. Overall the Skins were an average team for that stretch. Not sure how Cousins gets blamed for that but he does. If he signs with the Jets, he won't be the savior. Mac would need to build a championship team around him. So I get why fans think $30+ million a year sounds ridiculous for Cousins. He is good enough to take the risk though. I am just not sure he will want to come to the Jets. If I was him: I would not.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yes, I like that idea and it makes sense with the amount of cap room the Jets have. If the Jets can afford it and still fill most holes, that allows Cousins to not have that crippling effect in future years. This way we won't see a mass exodus of talent the Jets can't afford to retain that kills the team (ie late Tannenbaum years). Joe Flacco is a good example of that happening to a team, although he did win a SB first, the team went downhill after that contract and are just starting to recover.

#1729 Sam Hammer, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It seems that much of the argument of Cousins vs. a drafted QB is being based on two different planes.

The pro-Cousins camp argue that Cousins has the best chance of getting the Jets back to the playoffs quickly. In other words, their primary objective and measurement of success is making the playoffs.

The pro-draft pick camp seems to have a different definition of success: building a team that not only can make the playoffs, but win a SB. This group isn't dead set on making the playoffs next year, or maybe even the year after, as long as the team is building towards the ultimate goal: winning a SB.

I admit I'm in the latter group. Over 55 years of watching the Jets and seeing them only come even close a few times and fall short because they took short cuts and didn't really build a solid all-around team, I'm willing to wait just a little longer if the result is long term success, not the roller coaster ride they've always been. On that point, I can see where Cousins could be a part of that plan, however, the odds are greater that if he's signed the team will switch to "win now" mode, and again look for quick fixes to accomplish that. Certainly I could be wrong, and if the Jets decide to sign Cousins I'll hope I am wrong, but based on their history, I doubt it.

In any case, it's going to be next to impossible for the pro-Cousins and pro-draft pick camps to come together because their objectives are so different.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it like that. Winning the Super Bowl is the ultimate goal. I think signing Cousins is the fastest way to get there. Not just make the playoffs, but you can't win the Super Bowl until you do that first. The way you word it makes it sound like Pro-Cousins people just want to make the playoffs and that the pro-draft pick crowd's plan will result in a Super Bowl win. We have to let it play out over the next couple weeks, but I think both views have a lot of risk involved and no guarantees. I agree the main point is it moves up the rebuild a year or two and I definitely want to win ASAP.

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'd personally prefer the draft a QB route, BUT I'm not against the idea of signing Cousins. Either way the team is taking a risk.

You can trade up and sacrifice potential future assets to get a QB and hope that he pans out, but if he doesn't it sets the team back. If he does pan out, you could have a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years and become a dynasty. If you don't trade up, you essentially hope that a decent QB falls to the Jets, but there is no guarantee of that and you have a much larger success chance trading up.

With Cousins, you can pay him an exorbitant amount and hope he works out, but a move like that could also set the franchise back if it fails for salary cap reasons. If it works, the team could contend for 3-5 years. Cousins also opens up the door to trade down in the draft and gain more picks to fill more holes and create more depth, which could indeed be better for the long term, even if Cousins is gone in 5 years.

So there is definitely more long term potential in drafting, but the chance of succeeding is probably much lower than bringing in a proven guy like Cousins that won't need to be developed and groomed. The question is, do you take the higher risk in hopes for the bigger, longer term reward? Or do you go with a guy that's already solid and could get you contending sooner and turn the team around almost immediately? It's the conundrum of all conundrums. I think both groups of fans want to win a Super Bowl, but I can see why people would rather go with the proven guy over the complete unknown.

#1732 Sam Hammer, Feb 21, 2018
  13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

1. If the young QB is not the answer we've set our team back long term

2. Cousins could stabilize the most important position and allow us to build the rest of the team without the threat of not having a QB

3. A significant injury to the rookie QB blah blah blah

4. Give this true rebuild thing a rest, we're building the team and seeking Cousins is part of that. A vet QB leading a young team has its benefits.

FJF likes this.
  14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Macc has not giving Bowles what he's wanted. Him going defense first is simply him following what he's learned. Houston almost always went defense first/BPA

As for the Rodgers thing Bowles won 10 games with Fitz his first year come on now.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

So you think it is a coincidence that Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles have not used a first rounder on an offensive player since Sanchez was drafted?

You really believe that Tanny and Mac are the culprits?

While the Tanny's Dolphins drafted a defensive player in 2017 they took a tackle in 2016 and a receiver in 2015.

Rex Ryan's Bills drafted a DE in 2016 and a CB in 2015.

The coach has lots of input into the draft. You guys need to stop blaming the GMs when defensive coaches get defensive players in round one of the draft.

16. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

In any case, the latter group is correct. The pro Cousins group is WRONG. Like I have tried to emphasize so much to these pig headed retards.... The goal is NOT to get to the playoffs. That's the Herm Edwards answer. We fired Herm long ago for a reason. The goal of ANY owner, GM, or HC is to win the SB. ANYTHING less is called FAILURE.

If signing Cousins could get us a SB win? Sign me up right now, I am all for it. The fact is, they CAN'T. They're are like that spoiled bitch girlfriend you used to have that has NO understanding of what it takes to achieve something and really doesn't care. They just want what they want. She is accustomed to getting what she wants. They're dumb enough to know that they are NOT winning the SB, so they want that next best thing in their tiny little brains. I could care less about making the playoffs unless this team is a serious contender when they go.......

#1736 Mainejet, Feb 21, 2018
    zace likes this.
  17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

The jets slund very desperate here, if this isnt a smoke screen. And desperation always backfires from a roster management standpoint. I honestly wouldnt be surprised Bowles was the one pushing to sign cousins and draft defense. It would totally fit his MO and the MO of defensive coordinators becoming HC. Get a vet qb to manage the game and win with defense.

They dont realize how hard that is in the NFL today. They don't realize for every one team that wins with defense, 4 or 5 win with offense.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

18. BroadwayAaron

Not for nothing, signing an established vet QB and drafting the best pass rusher in the draft of a pretty sound strategy.

playtowinthegame and FJF like this.
  19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im just saying, its a very Bowles thing to do regardless of judgements about the players involved. Its just kinda nerve wracking that they are panicking. It makes me question any more theyll do more honestly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20. BroadwayAaron

I don’t think this is true even a little bit. Everyone’s goal is winning a super bowl. The pro Cousins camp thinks he’s good enough to put $70 mil worth of free agents and some high draft picks around and get you there.