Just a thought about the NFL

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by hornblower, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Watch, they'll try to charge NFL prices for this crap.

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The way the league is today, QBs are the only stars that matter.

It was not always so, and I would argue that the league was healthier and the game was more fun to watch when it was otherwise.

hornblower and Acad23 like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, but at least the players have the opportunity to get an education at college if they so desire. I'm sure that many of them wind up having to take courses like basket weaving to stay academically eligible, however.

There is no indication that Brady will have any involvement with the new league. It's his agent, Don Yee, not Brady, who had the vision and that is the driving force behind the league.

hornblower likes this.
  4. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the good ol' pre-cap days! :D

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It was free agency that destroyed the old model not the cap. The cap did have an effect but most teams would not have paid substantially more than they were paying on the cap to retain veteran stars for a decade. It was the absence of the free movement of players that allowed teams like the 70's Steelers, Dolphins and Raiders to be assembled and maintained over a long period of time.

Once players could test the open market the forces there were going to crack open the great rosters that had been created in a team-controlled environment.

alleycat9 likes this.
  6. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The only way I see things changing in the NFL is if once the big time QBs retire that maybe the current group won't have anyone so dominant. Otherwise, you'll just see another group of 5 QBs who will be making it to the super bowl every year and it'll be the same crap as usual. Either that or rule changes that help out on passing defense.

7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

As I watched the games last night I was thinking about this. It is amazing how if you get a qb how dominate the team is. Every dynasty or great team can be pinpointed to a qb. I find it to be interesting too that it is always the same teams that have the run with the qbs.

It also makes me wonder about why the ratings are down. What is the point of watching football if you know you have a bad qb and have no chance of making a Super Bowl run? I think one of the only ways to correct this is to create a developmental league to help the young qbs develop and find other players like Kurt Warner. Hopefully the new developmental coming this spring will help. Guess we'll see.

PulseJet likes this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I big time QB helps. What I found more interesting are no penalties until a key fumble (blown call) a non call at a crucial moment, a call ata crucial moment.

That Steelers Pats game is a different game Steelers get that Brady fumble or that crucial third down stop but a defenseless receiver penalty. Those two calls alone changed the game.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

Salary cap has been around since 1994. A team could build a contender around a running game or a defense for at least 10 years after that. It wasn't the salary cap that made QBs the only players that matter. It was the rule changes that prevent Safeties in particular, but also Corners from actually being able to prevent catches.

alleycat9 likes this.
  10. LarryAlRalph

That's an interesting thought (seriously). That might be part of the reason the officiating today is so inconsistent, with pass interference in one game that is just plain, good ol' football in another. When were these rule changes imposed?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

Ban on helmet-to-helmet hits was passed for the 2009 season.
    Ban on hits to defenseless players was passed for the 2010 season.

2006 made horsecollar tackles illegal, which is a very good rule, but contributes to making it harder to play safety.
    2006 also made all low hits on a QB illegal, regardless of momentum.

Really it's the '09 and '10 rule changes that made it virtually impossible to cover slot receivers and TEs underneath the safeties. It used to be that the safety's job was to separate the ball from the receiver before catch was completed. Now they have to wait for the catch to be completed while they get in position to make a tackle afterwards, or try to compete for the ball in the air, which means they are no longer in position to make a tackle if the pass is completed--particularly because the only tackle that is usually feasible from that trailing position is the horsecollar tackle.

The change to the low hits on QBs compounds all this, by giving QBs an extra half second on long plays, which they often use to throw deep to the corner, where they have a better-than-50% chance of getting a Pass Interference Call.

alleycat9 and LarryAlRalph like this.
  12. LarryAlRalph

Okay, now that I know we're talking about the same thing, taken at face value, those aren't bad rule changes, IMO. I coached long enough to see a lot of kids get injured by bigger kids who thought their job was separate the opponent from his teeth. One time I lost my starting QB for a month because an asshole kid dove helmet first into his knees. I also think if you're close enough to horse-collar, you're close enough to tackle him around the waist or knees.

The problem, as I see it, with pass defense is that there's no consistency from squad to squad or from game to game. And that's because they're all part-timers. I know they all want to get the call right, but the rule on what is a catch has become ambiguous. Also I don't think the NFL ever gets all of them in the same room at the same time, and I know from my experience as a basketball ref (30 years) that's pretty important ofr consistency.

And thanks for the discussion. :)

13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

A few years ago... I think the games are better when they allow for some contact. But brighter minds than mine would have a solution.

One thing is for sure. I dont think having the same teams in the Super Bowl year after year is good for the league. Since 2000, there were 18 teams making SB appearances:

Super Bowl Appearances
    Pats: 6
    Giants, Steelers, Seahawks: 3
    Broncos, Colts, Ravens, Panthers, Rams: 2
    Bucs, Cards, Bears, Packers, Saints, Raiders, Eagles, Niners, Titans: 1

Frankly I think the NFL should crack down hard on any perceived shenanigans by the Pats, including Saturday nights 3am fire alarm pull.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Belichick paid the guy off with Bitcoins.

There's no way to crack the dark web...

15. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Apparently the guy was drunk and acting on his own accord. But if i am the league i am keeping an eye on how he is handled by authorities. If he is let off then i drop the hammer for collusion between the team and the local PD. As for the contact comment, i believe they need to nerf the equipment. Anyone that has played knows you feel like a fucking juggernaut as soon as you strap that gear on. Looking at football vs rugby there must be a middle ground that still allows for big hits but make players less of a weapon. Finally i agree with your parity comment. As i have brought up on this board Rogers being a public company allows us to see their finances and the Jays winning the last couple years has shown a huge spike in income. As someone living in this city the resurgence of fan support, merch sales and tickets sales/tv ratings has been YUGE with the team suddenly competing again. It can't be good for the NFL to have the same few teams at the top of the pile all the time both for ratings and for each team’s individual income.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

Safety is the most important thing for kids, all the way up through college, no question. I think the safety rules for those leagues should be enhanced and the penalties for players who break them should be STIFF.

I have no concern whatsoever for a guy who chooses to put his brain or knees on the line for millions of dollars. Soldier, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, Cops, Firemen, and lots of other folks put a lot more on the line for a lot less reward every day. No player in the NFL is forced to be there. How many concussions do guys get flipping burgers?

I have seen plenty of cases where a guy could only get the fingertips on one hand on a guy-- just enough to grab that collar. It absolutely should be illegal to tackle that way, it leads to way too many injuries, and those injuries are often gruesome.

I agree that there are major discrepancies in the way officiating is carried out--and it's not limited to only the passing game. I suspect some portion of that comes from the fact that the NFL screws around and introduces about 7 rules changes each year.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  17. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Your right, the NFL will need to eliminate the heavy helmets and pads. Most people dont use their heads as weapons but the helmets almost make you want to slam your head against the opponent. I can see maybe just light pads and a thin helmet to protect against unanticipated collisions.

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

No one as yet here made a point about an issue ( my issue anyway) that has irked me for quite a number of years that , for me, makes me not want to watch NFL football any longer. The unbearable amount of ads and commercials that all the stations, especially CBS ( which stands for Commercial Broadcasting System) stuff into these NFl games , ad Nauseam, (pun intended), including station ad banners during actual play. At some point I'm going to actually sit thru an entire game just to count how many interruptions there actually are. The days of viewing the events that occur during team/player/ref timeouts including where injuries occur that contribute so much to the flow of the game that has sorely been lacking, are long gone.

A real shame for all the young fans that have not experienced a televised NFL game without the excessive intrusions and interruptions.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

You used to be able to win with a QB and defense. Now the defense has become much less important. The rules are made so receivers can run free and old QB's can stand in one spot and pick them out. That may be one reason popularity is down.

20. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Exactly. You can still light guys up but you are less of a battering ram. Big hits exist in rugby but guys get up and walk away after. As guys get bigger and faster the bigger pads make them more of a weapon, not safer. Below is still one of the best hits i have ever seen. Take the hard plastic out of the pads and the only difference is it's more cushioned.

#80 Jets_Grinch, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    PulseJet likes this.