Josh Rosen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think it's just you. I see it a bit too tonight. But I've watched all of his games this year and he didn't seem to be doing it the first couple of games. Maybe he's tightened up his head movement? Or maybe he's predetermining his reads a bit more tonight because of the limited time he has/has had.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Another bad drop. They can't handle Rosen's fastball, but his fastball is the only way he can get the ball into tight windows because there's no seperstion.

I'd be getting pretty pissed off if I were him.

#202 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've seen enough. Rosen good; supporting cast not so much. Gotta get up early, so I'm done.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Was just going to say the same. I can't watch this anymore. It's frustrating me too much for him.

5. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

It's definitely not just this game. I noticed it in someone's youtube cut of every single one of his passes from one of his 50 pass games earlier this season. (I think it was actually the A&M game.) When you're watching a new throw every 15-20 seconds real-time it's easier to see and notice. Can't remember where I found the video, sadly, but it's something I've been watching for.

6. lockgang

lockgang Member

Rosen's team is complete trash. He was getting knocked down and pressured all game. I guarantee, he got a concussion on that last sack, which also messed up his elbow and caused his second interception.

Darnold has time all day err day in the pocket compared to Rosen. Don't care about Darnold's stupid jump pass. Rosen >>>>>>>>>

TouchyFeely likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

As I turned the game off last night I watched as his receiver fumbled another ball after a quick slant and a ten yard game. Unfriggainbelieveable.

I wonder if him 'locking' on to receivers is simply confidence in his pre snap reads. When he's locking on he is throwing into single coverage.

Or I wonder if I'm just trying to rationalize it because I think he has all the skills to be our franchise quarterback.

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The throw at the 1 minute mark is really amazing. His ability to fit the ball into tight windows is a big part of being successful in the NFL. His improvisation at the 12 second mark reminded of a Brett Farve shovel pass.

#208 grkmanga31, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  9. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

He may be staring down his receivers, but it's his placement that separates him. Combine his pre-snap read with his placement and these guys are running for a lot of yards after the catch.

10. grkmanga31

I personally think a lot of his passes are pre-designed to go to a specific receiver but there are plenty of instances where he ops out of that read and goes through progressions.

11. ColoradoContrails

If he keeps having his teammates screw things up, he'll come out THIS year!

12. Jonathan_Vilma

He can throw receivers open which is a characteristic that seperates him from a lot of college quarterbacks. He did it several times last night that the JV receivers he throws to unfortunately could not handle.

He also throws a top notch post route. Leads the receiver away from cornerbacks that play with outside leverage and allows them to keep running across the field.

grkmanga31 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

At this point, I really hope he goes into a funk and his draft status drops so the Jets can grab him. Assuming he stays healthy, I don't really care if he sucks the rest of the season, he's shown me enough to say he's the guy the Jets need.

14. grkmanga31

I don't see how he goes back. He would not be able to prove anything at the college level and his supporting cast is not good enough to compete with many other top college programs. He'll come out this year...

15. ColoradoContrails

I actually meant that he'll come out NOW, this season - just joking of course. But I bet if they held a draft in October, he'd enter it.

16. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I'd definitely take him in a mid-season draft. The look on his face after he threw the second pick the other day (the miscommunication where his receiver had daylight but cut off short) while on the bench screamed equal parts "I can't believe I just did that" and "These fucking guys, I'm outta here".

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Rosen is still at the top of my list.

18. grkmanga31

Think Rosen is the most pro ready, but Darnold may have a higher ceiling. Again, I would be ecstatic with either of them being picked by the Jets

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

20. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't see a scenario where either player do not pan out. That's scary to think about because there have been tons of cases where both fans and scouts alike have felt that about prospects.

Ryan Leaf/Peyton Manning come to mind. A lot of people felt that about the 1999 draft as well I'm guessing. I can't directly comment as I was too young to really remember.

Tim Couch's statistics seem to indicate to me that he could've developed if he was coached better and put into a better situation to succeed. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I know he was an excellent college passer. But he wasn't groomed very well in the pros.

He was on teams with the Browns that had some
    of the worst rushing offenses in league history. Barely eclipsing 1,000 yards as a team in his first two seasons. We'll be in a similar predicament if we do not improve our running game and line. He finally showed some life when his running game got better in 2002 and 2003.

Young quarterback + terrible ground game is a recipe for disaster.

#220 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017