Josh Gordon

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I really don't know why the NFL feels the need to further punish a player who was already punished by the laws of the land.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Mostly has to do with Goodell being a douche nozzle.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

its an image thing. keeps the sponsors at ease that they are not attaching their names to a bunch of thugs.

4. Footballgod214

True. So if there's video of a player knocking his wife out on an elevator, than absolutely the NFL has to protect the brand.

BUT, a player that fails a marijuana test is ONLY known to the NFL. It doesn't HAVE to be made public. The player doesn't HAVE to be suspended to protect the brand. The NFL (which means the 32 owners) are making a crisis where non need exist. I would think that suspending super stars for weed would get old pretty quick for the owners trying to field a talented team.

5. FJF

yea, the marijuana rules are out of touch,especially with more and more states legalizing or decriminalizing it. i've stated before that all the nfl has to do is stop testing for it. don't announce anything just stop. eventually it will happen , the last domino that needs to fall is the federal gov'ts stance on weed. the nfl walks a tight rope with their anti trust exemption and will not go against the feds in fear of losing it.
    that said,right now the league tests and everyone knows how and when. if you get caught you are an idiot

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Gordon was busted for DUI. That's never going to get swept under the rug. That single event is probably the thing that put his career on an inescapable downward trajectory. If he'd worked very hard to overcome that rap he'd have been ok but that is 1 in 10 guys his age who realize that the next puff might cost them $50M.

7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I have been a Josh Gordon fan for awhile now. The issue with him has always been keeping his ass out of trouble. This kid is so talented and would be a perfect replacement for Marshall. Look, Decker is still hurting and when Q goes up against the #1 corner what will happen. While I understand that we have some promising young wide outs they are still raw. Robby is a stick and needs to add mass because he struggles with press coverage. The list can go on and on. If we want whoever the QB of this team is to be successful he needs someone to catch the football

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Nobody has doubts about the guy's basic talent, but reliability? He's an absolute disaster. Someone posted his list of indiscretions earlier in the thread - anyone who touches him is delusional.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  9. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

U
    UK,

Trust me I understand exactly what you are saying. As a cop in Vegas, it never fails. I arrested the same people over and over again. My thing is get this get out of Cleveland and set up an atmosphere for him were he can succeed. The contract is simple, if he screws up he can and will be cut. I just think that we need another talented wide out to add to this team.

10. Br4d

He went to Utah in 2011 when he was trying to get away from his personal demons.

I somehow don't see the NY/NJ area as his own private Idaho. How is he possibly going to stay clean here with all the media attention watching to see if he slips up?

11. FJF

actually, we are a decent landing spot for him as far as relying on him. we have a lot of potential on the bench so if he flamed out who cares, we wouldn't be adding him for a playoff run.

12. Footballgod214

good point on the anti-trust issue....never thought about that one.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the released him as far as i konw

14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

#54 The Waterboy, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  15. Br4d

He's in Steve Howe territory at this point.

Whether he ever plays again or not is secondary to whether he ever gets his life together again. Getting turned down this time either hinged on a negative result somewhere since rehab completed or on the NFL's determination that letting him play again was just going to wind up with him back in rehab again in a short time.

Either way he's just totally screwed when it comes to getting reinstated. He's working on Strike Five or something like that.

Steve Howe, btw, was the best lefthanded relief pitcher in baseball and coke still undid him. He was a pariah long before his playing days should have been over. Lefty relievers are hard to find and Howe just sat on the shelf for seasons at a time because the perception was that he couldn't stay clean even when millions of dollars rested on him doing that.

Howe died at 48 in his second DUI accident when he was ejected from a vehicle in a one car crash. Meth was found in his system.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

good catch. still at worst they'd take a late round pick for him. cleveland is done with him for sure. at best they release him

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Sashi Brown indicated they would give him a chance if the talent is still there.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

IF he was to somehow land here can you imagine the trouble this guy would get in,,,,, in Uncle Todds Day Care Center ?
    " Everyones alarm clock does not go off now and then, everyone oversleeps , or is late , or does not show, its not the end of the world , its not life threatening " OMG

Jets69 likes this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Josh Gordon: a fine role model for the Alabama and Cal WR rookies

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yeah right

Like need another hole in my head