Josh Allen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Allen is the same player as Christian Hackenberg other than one key difference.

Hackenberg, despite his size, for some reason always goes down on first contact. Even if he’s just brushed by a defender’s hand he just instantly drops, which is terrible when combined with his lack of awareness. It’s really ridiculous for such a big QB to go down so easily.

On the other hand, Allen has this ridiculous, freaky ability to stay on his feet while being tackled. His balance is unbelievable. That’s his only saving grace for me.

Still would rather not use a first round pick on Ryan Mallet.

almbleamal and Martin&theJETS like this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He also has mobility.

3. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. This guy in the video is second guessing every single throw he made. I questioned Allen's accuracy coming into the video and I think that is the most important qb intangible to think about. If you think about what makes Rodgers and Brady great is the elite ball placement, not their arm talent.

I think his ball placement was fine in the video. I think even some of the throws that the guy in the video said was errant was actually purposely thrown by Allen in a place where only the receiver could get it and away from the defender.

I also saw Allen does not have a lot of clean pockets to throw from, which is a constant problem in the NFL, so that is actually a good thing to see on tape. Allen got the ball out quickly and his footwork in the pocket was great. That made me think that if Allen was in a Russell Wilson type offense, he could be really successful. Move him around, give him some space to throw and he could beat a lot of people.

The question now becomes, assuming the Browns and Giants take Rosen and Darnold, is he worth trading up to #3 to get? The Colts will want a ton for that pick.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I wouldn't move up for him. Granted he might floor people at the combine and that would change everything (like Wentz did) but based on what we know today, I don't think he has enough experience or has shown enough, outside of an incredible arm, to make that sort of investment in. If he's sitting there for us at pick 6, so be it.

There are other very high quality options that will be available to us. Only move up if it is a sure thing. Don't see the "sure thing" in Allen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I admit I haven't seen much of Allen, but from the various comments and analyses I've read, he sounds scarily similar to Hackenberg. If you go back and look at the reviews and film on Hack you see the same things you're talking about, and questions about his ability to handle pressure. I remain open minded at this point, but if the draft were held today I wouldn't take Allen unless he fell to the 4th round.

6. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

I believe Allen is the best pure talent quarterback in the draft when it comes to having tools..... the key for him will be who coaches him.... sadly he may not be a good fix for us because I don’t believe Bowles is the right man to help him develop .... I do believe in the right system and coach this guy going to be a star

7. legler82

He's not Hack; his mechanics are better. His low end comp is probably Bortles and high end is Wentz IMO. Hack can miss a WR sometimes even when his pocket is clean and his mechanics look fine. He probably ends up somewhere in the middle of Bortles and Wentz; because he's had better coaching than the former but is nowhere near as developed of the latter. A lot of his poor throws are when he has to or more often than not "chooses to" throw off platform. He chooses to a lot because of what can be one or a combination of lack of poise in the pocket, constant pressure has him seeing ghost and/or over confidence in his arm. His escapability and mobility also greatly differentiates him from Hack. Hack's athleticism doesn't translate onto the field; for the most part he is a statue in the pocket. At the moment, Allen relies too much on it but when the play breaks down or a lot of times when it doesn't he can escape the pocket and make a play with his arms or legs. Don't fool youself he is going to be drafted in the top half of the draft if not top 10. 4th round is what a lot of people was saying about Mahomes early. It's just not going to happen with his combination frame, tools, athleticism and prostyle offense experience.

#107 legler82, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    jetstopgun likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Well I was being a little facetious when I said 4th round...I know he'll go early 2nd at the latest, and maybe even goes 1st if the Browns like him as much as has been reported, but what I was comparing him to Hack was about his accuracy issues. How much can that improve in the pros? As I said, I'm willing to be proven wrong, but he would be behind Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Stidham, based on my limited knowledge.

As for what was said about Mahomes, given what a freak of nature he is, not just with his arm strength, but his ability to hit targets on the run, I can't understand how anyone called him a 4th round pick - maybe Macc?

9. ColoradoContrails

I certainly agree with the last part of your post.

I could see him going to NE to learn behind Brady.

10. legler82

While he's least accurate of the 1st round QBs, his accuracy is better than what his CMP% would suggest. There's degrees of inaccuracy. There's the Petty and current Hack kind where you can't run a functioning offense and there's Eli, McNabb, Vick, Sanchez, Cam, Bortles...etc where you can not only run a functioning offense but can win with under the right coaching, scheme and surrounding personnel. He falls in the latter category.

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They should take him at 4 and get more picks

13. legler82

It's funny that the Browns may end up with Allen who is a bootleg version of Wentz when they could have the real thing.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

If that's really who they want, they should take Barkley #1 and Allen #4.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And what if another team really covets Allen and trades up with the Colts to take him at #3? That would be a huge mistake on Cleveland's part. They need to get their QB first. There are LOTS of very good or great RB prospects in this draft. Having Barkley and Allen would be awesome (if Allen pans out), but they would look like fools if they took Barkley first and then missed out on Allen and he wound up being a great QB. No way I'd take Barkley at #1.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'll admit, I really don't shit about the guy as I've never seen one of his games, but I liked this quote:

"Stats are for losers and the one thing I'd like to point out, while at Wyoming, we won games and I definitely think that's how quarterbacks are judged in the NFL," Allen said.

legler82 likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

No way do you trade up for him, if Mac likes him he should be able to get him at 6

18. ColoradoContrails

19. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Read about this too today. If the Jets can’t land Rosen, Mayfield or Darnold, then they might have to pass on a qb in round 1. This kid is going to end up a lot like Hackenberg.

20. 101GangGreen101

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-buzz-tuesday-night

The more this guy plays, the more his stock goes down ... I swear Mac better not take this guy at 6. 4th round production, first round potential...

ColoradoContrails likes this.