John Abraham trade a done deal?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 2, 2006.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Abraham on way out

A trade of Jets defensive end John Abraham is "pretty much done," according to an NFL source, but that transaction along with many others by the Jets and other teams continued to be impacted by the league's growing labor crisis.

Details of the swap were sketchy -- the trading partner and what the Jets would get in return for dealing their disgruntled sackmaster were unspecified. But this much is known: An Abraham trade won't help the Jets get under the salary cap by today's 10 p.m. deadline.

By one accounting, the Jets are $11.1 million over the projected cap of $94.5 million, and a large portion of that figure is the $8.33 million for the franchise tag they pinned on Abraham for the second straight year.

But the Jets can't trade Abraham until the start of the NFL's new calendar year at midnight, meaning they must clear money by this afternoon in other ways.

They could do it by releasing center Kevin Mawae, guard Pete Kendall or both. Mawae is due to count slightly less than $4.5 million under the cap, Kendall slightly more. There are also talks aimed at reducing the cap figures of wide receiver Laveranues Coles, defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and others.The Jets also will reluctantly allow tight end Chris Baker to become an unrestricted free agent Friday.

-- Randy Lange

2. PennyandtheJets

So apparently he has been agreed to be traded with someone...I guess we will know very soon.

3. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....I like Lange.....so we shall see in a few hours

4. Paddock

Paddock Member

I think they might just cut some cap room by restructuring with team players like coles and ellis... thats just a hunch though

5. PennyandtheJets

They already restructured with them...

6. MParty7441

Link anywhere?

7. PennyandtheJets

I got it from JI...there was no link there and I don't have time to look through the articles to find it.

8. MParty7441

ok, good enough for me....where does Lange work? I'll get the link

9. PennyandtheJets

Bergen record?

10. MParty7441

ahh....thought so, i went there first

11. MParty7441

Well.....dont see anything in the website, although I didnt look very hard, just went to the Jets page

12. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

If Lange said it, it's true.

It's that simple.

He wouldn't report it if he didn't confirm it. He's that good of a reporter.

I heard Coles/Ellis restructured and we're under the cap with their restructures + others that Cimini did not mention. I do not know the details, but I do know Coles/Ellis could restructure enough to save us 11.1M. However, Lange is saying 94.5M for the cap #, while others are saying 92. 94.5 sounds more accurate.

13. O'Brien7

O'Brien7 New Member

The daily news reported that the Jets are now under the cap by restructuring coles & ellis. Must be lange does not have good sources, although this is the first i've heard of an Abraham deal being close to done.

14. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

Do you think they'll force DRob to take a cut as well?

15. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Jets aren't over the cap anymore. Brandon Moore, Shaun Ellis, and Laveranues Coles restructured. This offseason shouldn't look too desperate once Abe is traded.

16. O'Brien7

O'Brien7 New Member

94.5 million (increased from 92 million) would be the cap if no extension is reached by midnight.

17. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Incorrect. The extension would make the cap jump to over $100M, and as high as $105M. The original reports were $92M, but they settled a minor issue with revenue sharing between teams that added $2.5M to the projected cap.

18. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I believe Brandon Moore restructured as well.

19. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I have been reading the Jets are struggling to find a suitor for Abe because no to many teams have cap room for his bloated 8.3 million, thats a lot of money with no new CBA

20. I have a feeling if the trade rumor is true, the trade is w/ Denver for one of their #1's. That would explain why the Broncos went "cut crazy" yesterday. Trying to find a way to make room to sign Abe long term.