Jets release Bryce Petty

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 3, 2018.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Or it could be because both of them stink, we are carrying 3 QBs that are better than both and one of them saved $700k by cutting while the other would have cost $700k. But sure, typical gutless move I guess.

TwoHeadedMonster, FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And part of coaching is to identify the strengths and weaknesses of your team and make adjustments as needed. If Petty sucked as bad as you say, why didn't Bowles know this? Why didn't Macc know this? Why didn't they draft a QB to replace him sooner? Sure, maybe Petty didn't put in the necessary work, or maybe he was too dumb, or maybe he didn't have the physical tools needed, but again, why didn't the Jets do something about that? Likewise with Hackenberg.

Up to this point the Jets have shown no ability to develop QBs, and yeah, that's a coaches job. Maybe the QB coach, and the OC have a more direct role in that development, but the HC better damn well be on board with the plan and how it's developing, and step in if necessary to correct it. Give Bowles a pass if you want to, but if he screws up Darnold, you'll kick yourself.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How much does game plan and system used affect a QB? And how much more quickly can a guy who has adapted to many differences over his career do so compared to a guy who has only been a backup for two or three years? And isn't that coaching?

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

They did, they drafted Hack the very next year, two rounds higher. I will give you that they took the wrong QB, but they picked one to at least contend with him if not outright replace him. IMO they took the wrong guy two years in a row. They both fit the mold physically but lacked the ability to read defenses and pressure coming into the league.

I see Darnold as a vastly superior prospect to either of those guys as most do. His ability to recognize and move to avoid pressure is outstanding. If he can pick up NFL defenses quickly it won’t be long before he’s starting. Given the job Bates did with Cutler, I have faith that he can repeat that with talented QB.

Walt White, FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Petty is

A - Better than Hackenberg
    B- Cheaper than Hackenberg

While both should be shown the door, cutting Petty first came from

A - Pride (failing to admit the mistake for drafting Hack in round two)
    B - Error (failing to evaluate talent)

Sure, Petty laid an egg last year but this was clearly a bad decision when choosing which of the two QBs to bring to camp.

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Hasty I agree ! At least Petty saw the field .

James Hasty likes this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Petty has had his chance and fucked it, he was regressing at a huge rate and his penchant for picking up an injury as well, it is a no brainer to release him, hell you could even say it is fairer to him as he then could get a head start on finding a new team, which he has and him now being a fish should end all discussion on him now tbh.

#207 K'OB, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  8. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

This is exactly what I was saying and it should be a major cause for concern because as you can clearly see, this decision wasn't what was best for the team in terms of talent, it was about pride and failure to admit mistakes. If this is the thought process on the small decisions, you can bet it will also be there on the big ones.

James Hasty likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

Why can't you just admit that both are terrible and there was a $1.4 million difference when making the decision on which to cut?

James Hasty likes this.
  10. K'OB

Just how is your 2nd round pick for Jimmy G looking round about now, the decision to trade him away was only good for one team and it wasn't for you cheaters.

So you don't bother yourself worrying about our 3rd and 4th choice QB's and in which order we cut them.

Also if you want to talk about pride and failure to admit mistakes, which of your teams talented players failed to make the super bowl defeat and for what reason ?

After the game, Patriots Coach Bill Belichick was asked about his decision to bench Butler, who only took the field on one special-teams play. “We put the best players and game plan out there that we felt was best for tonight, like we always do,”

Erm no you didn't bellyache lol

fading star, hopefully you will sink back to the bottom of the pile again asap

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

David Fales is a cerebral short-to mid range accurate QB but his arm is very weak and he’s pretty immobile. I watched him a lot at San Jose State and Petty has a lot more arm talent and is much more athletic than Fales.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Just to play Devils advocate, because I believe they both should be cut...

Petty was only around 180,000 cheaper than Hack, which is nothing by NFL standards.

Petty may have shown more to this point, but is 26 where as Hack is 23. Hacks more likely to still have room to grow and develop.

You can really not take a good bite of this shit sandwich of QBs though...

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I can think of much better ways to spend $180K.

Harpua likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

lol personally very much so, but its next to nothing for an NFL team.

I know he's making $705,000 with the Phins and we have $138,424 in dead money from him on our cap.

Hack is making $873,664 with a dead money hit of $794,656 if we cut him this year.

I'm not a cap guru by any means but it looks like cutting Petty and keeping Hack cost us $1,012,088. While Cutting Hack and keeping Petty would have cost $1,499,656 in Salary and dead money.

Hacks dead money goes way down after June 1

If I did that right its actually cheaper the way things played out to cut Petty and Keep Hack (but they both should be gone IMO)

If someone smarter than me wants to truely figure it out lol https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets

stinkyB likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

You’re right. And it’s what I’ve been saying to the Pats fan. Both are awful, cutting one of them saved us money, cutting the other one left is with $700k in dead cap. It’s a no brainer decision that shouldn’t really be questioned by any sane person.

FJF, stinkyB and Harpua like this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I was really hoping that was the case when I looked into it. Instead of Pride it looks like it was just the better overall move cap wise. Seeing as Hacks cap hit drops by almost 400k after June 1 I would not be at all surprised if he does not make it to camp.

17. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

I generally don't respond to 10 year old's but in your case I'll just say LOL!!!!

18. K'OB

Ah well it seems we both made a concession, mine is not to normally bother with sad cunts that go on other teams forums, cya.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they both suck and both will be on practice squads this fall so who cares

NYJalltheway and stinkyB like this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Except it was not about that at all. It took all of 5 mins on Over the cap to see it was cheaper to cut petty and Keep Hack, and Hack gets much cheaper to cut post June 1.