Jets rebuild is ahead of schedule...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 23, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

1) I've seen Kirk play quite a few times and think he's definitely a FQB and a good one.

2) It doesn't matter for the Jets that he can easily give 5 great years. The Jets are a rebuilding team. While their talent is better than many initially thought, it still isn't that good, they still have quite a few holes, the OL needs upgrading, and they aren't ready to be a serious playoff challenger. With that being the case, there's no good reason for signing him.

3) I believe the coaches watch practice, but we KNOW that Bowles favors vets, and I don't think he knows jack about QBs. Petty was clearly more ready to play than Hack, yet Bowles clearly favored Hack in the sham QB competition, and gave Petty little or no chance.

2. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

how can you say there is no good reason to sign kirk? great players are found everywhere in football, not just in the top 10 of the draft. you can build a roster around a QB, you do not need to build it before he comes. our infrastructure is more than capable right now and can easily be added to.

also i am not buying the whole sham QB competition shit. everyone wanted hack to get a legitimate chance and it was given to him. people keep complaining about "how are we ever going to know if Bryce or Hack is a FQB?" well Bowles gave them both almost every team rep in training camp and clearly both underwhelmed

3. NCJetsfan

Easily. IMO you don't spend a ton of money to sign an "older" (over 25) FA at any position unless that player will put you over the top and either make you a playoff team or a serious competitor for the Lombardi Trophy. Signing Cousins will not accomplish that for the Jets. They will still have a shaky OL, no pass rush, few playmakers on either side of the ball, and still unable to stop opponents from running the ball. Signing Cousins won' fix any of those shortcomings, won't fix Bowles' incompetence, and Cousins alone won't be able to carry the team on his back to the promised land. The Redskins have a lot more talent than the Jets and have had better coaching, and Cousins hasn't been able to do that with them. I think it's delusional thinking to think that Cousins will be able to do those things for the Jets. Just because the Jets have a ton of cap space doesn't mean that they have to or should spend it all. IMO they would be much better off signing multiple younger, cheaper FAs to fill holes, upgrade depth, and who can be with the team longer.

No, one doesn't have to wait until one's team is set to add one's QB, but imo it makes no sense to have a young, developing team and an older QB who you know going in is probably only going to be able to give you 5 years of high level play, if that. IMO the only way to go in that situation is to find a young QB in the draft, or maybe trade for a young backup QB on another team that hasn't had a chance due to an established, high-quality QB ahead of him on that other team's roster.

Signing a Cousins is imo purely a move made out of impatience, frustration and desperation, and isn't logical or reasonable.

You obviously were not paying any attention to the facts and realities of the "QB Competition" the Jets had in TC. If you did, then your memory is faulty, you're delusional, or you're flat out lying to support your position/agenda. The last part of your post isn't even remotely factual and is downright laughable.

4. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

DO NOT SIGN KIRK I WILL NOT LIKE THAT

Peebag likes this.
  5. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

By the end of today;

Would you be ok with the Jets trading for Luck and giving up 2 #1 draft picks ('18 and '19)?

6. NCJetsfan

Hell no.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Offer 4 number 1’s or GTFO

8. STARoSCREAM

im shocked, I'd make that trade.

9. NCJetsfan

Why? Luck has hardly played in the last two seasons and when he did, he wasn't very good. He may never be the same player, or may never even play again.

10. STARoSCREAM

True, but that O-line is (has been) atrocious.

Ours has been playing above average IMO. If Luck actually has some time to read a D, he can make our mediocre WR core look better.

I can't remember the last time we had a QB that could actually read a defense

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying this scenario is likely to happen, just exploring possible options because....what else are we gonna do?

11. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-limited-reps-jets-practice-article-1.3436716

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...t-team-reps-while-josh-mccown-uh-runs-gassers

???????

12. NCJetsfan

Our OL has been better, but if Luck isn't healthy, nor is he gonna ever be the same player, then what's the point? If he's healthy or soon will be, and the problem won't be chronic, then that's a different story, but why would they trade him if that were the case?

There's no question that if he's healthy that Luck would make our team a lot better. I remind you that it's his throwing shoulder that's injured. It hurts and doctors don't know why. He could have a nerve injury, and if so, he will never be the same. He's also 28, only a year or so younger than Cousins. While he's better, Cousins doesn't have a lingering injury to his throwing shoulder.

The only thing we can do is stay the course continuing trying to develop Petty and Hack until it is clear that neither is the answer, and look to draft another QB in the meantime. If Petty and/or Hack develop, and we draft a QB that develops, we'll have an embarrassment of riches. Between the three of them, with the right HC, OC and QB coach, the chances are that at least one of them will develop into at least a serviceable starter. We have to get the right org chart, right HC, OC and QB Coach, and maybe the right GM and/or Scouting Dept. I'm not sure that any of that is likely or even possible to happen until the Johnsons hire a real football man to run the team and make all the decisions.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

You can furnish all the links you want from late in TC or preseason, but I and every other poster on here know the truth. We know that the competition was a sham. Early on when it was most important, McCown got most of the reps, and Petty and Hack received few. Then McCown and Hack received the lion's share of the reps and Petty got few, and none of those were with the 1st string. That was for the majority of TC and preseason. It wasn't until the last week or two of preseason that McCown got few reps and Hack and Petty got most of the reps, but even then Petty got little or no reps with the first string. Then Petty was injured.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, because if the Colts were willing to trade him, it's proof that he's questionable, and the cost would prevent them from doing much else to improve.

15. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

what about the preseason when McCown basically got no run? he had 12 total attempts while Hackenberg had 74 and Petty had 48. Hackenberg also got PLENTY of work with the ones as he started multiple preseason games

you accused me of being dumb and factually inaccurate, but you're relying on speculation. it makes me think that you are dumb

Walt White and soh_vet like this.
  16. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

Personally I think Bowles will be fired at the end of the yr and mccagnan. Will be allowed to bring in his own coach. He has shown he isnt a great coach makes to many errors coaching, and we keep getting out coached late in games. So maybe we can actually come up with a real plan to get a qb we need

17. NCJetsfan

I didn't accuse you of being dumb. I said that you were either being disingenuous to strengthen your argument or were ignorant of the facts, and you are or were. I'm not relying on speculation. I'm relying on fact that Petty was given the shaft and received no equal or fair chance in the QB competition.

Hack got plenty of work with the ones, but Petty didn't, and Petty was the more developed and ready to play QB.

I could care less if you think I'm dumb. I know what I know, and know that you aren't correct.

Peebag likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm not sure how anyone can argue that both Hack and Petty got equal time with the starters this preseason and TC. The so-called "QB competition" was a sham designed for Hack to become the starter and Petty was NEVER a consideration to both this CS and the FO. The only thing that has changed between then and now is that Hack is a non-factor.

James Hasty, NCJetsfan and Peebag like this.
  19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Very concerned with the trend of Macc drafting players just for Bowles to have them riding the bench. Bowles inability to move off of vets and to let the rooks loose and learn on the field is not the way to coach, it's coaching scared and coaching scared in the NFL will get you fired.

Also, it's hard to truly judge how far along we are on the rebuild, Macc's first draft class looks like L. Williams and a bunch of nobodies, last year's draft, Lee has played better but he isn't a star, Hack - nope, Jenkins solid, Burris nope, Shell ok - need to see more, Lac Edwards way too inconsistent and is usually good for 1 shank a game, Peake shouldn't be on the team.

2017 draft - Adams good, Maye good, Stewart unknown because Bowles is a moron, Hansen same thing, Leggett injured - have no idea what he is, Donahue done for the year - has burst but a lot left to be seen, Elijah McGuire is not playing because Bowles prefers to run the ancient Forte, Jeremly Clark and Derrick Jones have been essentially put on the bench and forgotten about.

Anderson is good - Marshall gone.

Bowles hates playing rookies for reasons unknown to me but then the question comes up - is Bowles not playing Macc's picks because he doesn't think they're ready, is Macc drafting projects versus drafting talent that can transition well to the NFL?

I don't know what the disconnect is but if Bowles is fired and Macc is brought back with a handpicked coach we may find out.

#179 grkmanga31, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

As I felt when I created this post, and I feel even more than ever this rebuilding year is way ahead of schedule. I feel a lot of players are out to show their best. They are developing a young core of players. I think this bills game was a big confidence builder for this team. Playing to win as a pose to tanking developed a team where as tanking does nothing but get you a better pick. Yes I want a fqb but not at the expense of developing the rest of the team. It will also help draw free agents to our young team that shows promise rather than a tanking team low on morale.

Skicats likes this.