Jets: Meet with Pennington's agent

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gafher, Feb 26, 2006.

1. gafher

gafher New Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1140932104275080.xml&coll=1

Jets: Meet with Pennington's agent
    Sunday, February 26, 2006
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and Tom Condon, the agent for quarterback Chad Pennington, met this weekend at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. According to two people with knowledge of the situation, Condon continues to take a hard line on the restructuring of Pennington's contract.

Condon indicated that Pennington is willing to work with the Jets, who want him to take an $8 million pay cut to $1 million with the chance to recoup money in incentives. Condon, however, has told other agents at the combine that he has made a counteroffer of a base salary of between $4 million and $5 million with the opportunity for Pennington to earn the rest in incentives.

Chances are the two sides will reach a compromise. Pennington, who had his second shoulder surgery in an eight-month period last October, is due a $3 million roster bonus on Friday. The situation must be resolved by then.

2. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Condon is a jerkoff of an agent. He's more worried about what his other clients think of him, especially the rookies, than he is Pennington. His base salary is 6M. How is 4-5M a big pay cut? How does that help the Jets cap? (It helps 1-2M in base, and 3M in roster bonus, assuming he's ok with Pennington not getting that)

3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is what worries me too. Will an agent be so concerned with his own image that he fails to do what's best for his client? Chad could struggle to find anyone to sign him up until he has thrown and thrown effectively in tryouts. That could be way into the free agency period, when most teams will have most of their roster filled and Chad will be fighting for scraps. He's unlikely to get offered $4 mill a season then.

4. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Do you really think any agent is going to say, yeah, take the cut. It's business. The agents are only concerned with one thing: Money. If he told Chad to go ahead and take that cut, then he could potentially be looked at as soft and might lose other clients. Quite honestly, I think he'd be remiss in his duties if he didn't try to negotiate. He's got to do everything he can to get the biggest contract he can for his clients. Agents have no team allegiance and cannot afford to be fans. If you were an agent, you'd be doing the same thing. I'm not saying agents are saints or anything, but in order to be successful, they look at the game a hell of a lot differently than you or me. It's a business, period.

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

You're missing my point. An agent should get what's best for his client. If he plays hardball and gets Chad cut his client will then get less money than if he signs with the Jets.

Yes, he should negotiate. My concern is that he will not be flexible enough in an attempt to look tough. This might cost his client money.

6. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

I still think Chad stays and it will be between 2-3 mil with incentives. He gets some cash, we get cap relief. Thats fine by me. I am sure Mike will have the contract structured so if we decide to cut Chad next year, the cap impact will be minimal. I am sure Condon knows that and is trying to get Chad whatever he can without losing the deal.

7. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

If Chad wants to really stay, I wouldn't be surprised if he dumps Condon by the end of the week...............

8. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

There's not a team out there that's going to offer Pennington a 4-5M a year contract. He's delusional if he thinks that's the case.

9. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

No chance. I don't see him getting more than the veteran's minimum, maybe with a lot of incentives.

10. njjet

njjet Member

There should be no negotiation with Chad.

The JETS should take a hard-line. It's either our way or the highway. Chad should understand his only shot is with a renegotiated contract with the JETS.

I personally would like to see him make a full recovery but that seems doubtful.

11. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I think a 2-3M per year deal would be a good middle ground here. I don't think he will get more than that from any other team.

12. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

Penningtons going to get cut after March 3rd dont worry about it.

13. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

That's exactly how I feel about it. If Condon was stupid enough to still be playing hardball at this point of the off-season, less then a week away from March 3rd, then we should end all discussions and simply cut him.

It's either our way or the highway, like you said.

14. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

There's no way Chad's sitting at home getting calls for better offers. I honestly think that we are the only team that's willing to give him a shot. What's a QB's (whose arm wasn't stellar to begin with) worth after a failed first surgery, a reinjury if that's a word, and a second surgery? Yeah, right. It sucks because we have no cards to play. We're really desperate for anyone who's ever touched a football and had something good come out of it.

15. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

i really hope we get rid of chad bc hes already 29 and has only played in about 3 full season worth of games.. a normal franchise QB would already have 6 seasons under his belt assuming he sat for a year or 2 as a rookie.. he got a ridiculous contract compared to his skill and now he wont take a cut for the team.. say later to him and draft a replacement or find one in FA.. we are rebuilding anyways.. have fun sitting the bench somewhere else chad... 64 million dollar cheerleader... what a fag

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the only thing that condon has going for him is the huge cap hit if we cut him outright.

however im fairly confident that this team is willing to take this hit at this point, more so than next year.

i do not see pennington on this team for more than 2 million next year. i would rather not see him here, we are going to have a tough season next year anyway we should get his big number out from under us have a second good draft and really be tough for the next year.

that is my personal best situation dealing with chad pennington.

he would be a fool to not take whatever we offer him, he will surely pay the price if he doesnt. this team has no loyalty to him at this point, i really dont think the cs wants him or cares for him.

17. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

I have to pretty much agree with this. Huge paycut or bye bye.

18. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

when he lashed out at the reporters on the NY media about it being an HONOR to write about them, he should eat his own words and see how its an HONOR to play for a NY team.. esp one that gets you commercials for reebok and gives you so much PR.. of course everyones buying the jersey of the QB.. even if he does suck as much dick as pennington...

19. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If he's going to get cut, it would come before March 3rd.

20. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

It has to do with how Condon gets payed. Usually the agent isn't payed an hourly or even yearly salary, they usually get a certain cut of the contract the player signs. That's why Drew Rosenhaus pushed so hard for a new contract for TO, he wasn't getting any cash from the old contract. Ultimately, TO got fucked over, not that it wasn't his own fault as well. But in the end, Drew Rosenhaus doesn't lose a thing, but TO probably won't make near that money again. No risk high reward for Rosenhaus.

For Condon, it's pretty much the opposite. Any change in the contract now is high risk, low reward. If Chad gets the paycut, Condon loses out on cash. He probably doesn't believe Chad can come back either. So he's better off just forcing the Jets to cut Chad to maintain his agent reputation, and then get the same cash he was going to get from the old contract with a new contract, which will be around the veteran minimum from another team. Or he could just drop Pennington altogether, it's not really a big deal. He could say he did the best he could, but nobody can represent a noodle arm china doll.