Jets Interested in OJ Atogwe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PinPointPenning10, Mar 19, 2012.

1. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

the Jets are just determined to have the Redskins secondary for some reason?

2. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

yea the reason being is that ours sucks and there are hardly other options right now...

Your point?

3. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

my point is that the Redskins were absolutely horrible last season. we kicked their ass

4. Clown

Clown New Member

Your point is still poor my friend.... Redskins safeties > Eric Smith

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The failed pursuit of Reggie Nelson gave it away, didn't it?

6. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Maybe we should get Ihedigbo for our starting safety them, the Pats made the superbowl after all

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Hell yea - him and Antrel Rolle (only safety to give up more pass yards than Eric Smith last year) were both superbowl safeties!

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I prefer that the Jets go safety in the draft for their second move. Leonhard and Landry are both fragile. I don't miss Pool, but is the way to go at safety really to add two FA's who have some issues?

And where would the Jets be in terms of the cap if they get Atogwe?

Meaning is it really better to spend cap money on another safety than at RT?

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't think Leonhard is even on the team any more..nor is their interest in bring him back. Smith is the only one we have who has actually played. (Until today)

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I know you really want Eric Smith to be a starter, but he was just replaced by Landry as a starter until Landry breaks his big muscles off. We will either get Otogwe or Leonhard for the FS position, as fragile as they both may be.

For whatever reason the Jets seem content with the RT position.

11. Big Blocker

I was not aware it is a done deal that Leonhard is not coming back.

12. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

God only knows why, but maybe they see something in Hunter that we dont? I have no idea how, but maybe they think that the 2.5 mil there is enough for a serviceable RT and is not as glaring a need as some other positions? I have no idea but just speculating.....

13. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Were not getting a rt in fa this year.

So we get a stop gap S (ie atogwe) focus on OLB, MLB, Guard, WR,in the draft, then next year reevalute our safeties in a better draft for the position.Plus the unrealistic pipe dream of UFA Ed Reed.

How bout him and Landry, eh eh

Eitherway were gonna have wayy more cap space , so we could make better moves longterm after getting a 1yr stopgap like Atogwe

14. Big Blocker

Yeah, well like they shouldn't be. Ftr I was not as down as some here on Hunter, but he was the weakest starter on the team, and that was not as an up and coming young guy, either.

Also ftr I never said I wanted Smith to be the starter if another and better player could be had. I just felt alot of those here who were talking cutting him did not understand Smith's contract situation, and that he was not as bad as many said. I did not hold him singularly responsible for the problems covering TE's, either.

And for someone who is such a Jet FO homer as yourself, you will no doubt note that I was right that they were not going to keep Pool over Smith. If Smith backs up Landry as clearly seems the case now, the question remains what to do about the other position, and whether to get help from the draft or FA. If as some think Leonhard is gone, too, then yeah, we could conceivably see Smith as the only holdover from last year, with Leonhard gone and effectively replaced by Atogwe, and then a draft pick to back up Atogwe and develop into a starter.

But again, if that means there's less likelihood of making a move at RT, then imo the Jets will pay a price for having Hunter start at RT on Opening Day and thereafter. I would not be surprised at this point if the Jets go draft for a tackle, but they still need OLB, too, hopefully with a high pick. Getting a starter at RT in the draft? Hard to count on that.

But if you are saying the Jets look like they might not do anything at tackle, or maybe go mid to late round pick there, you might be right. That wouldn't be the first mistake this FO has made.

15. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

We need at least 1 white safety for Rex's defensive scheme to work

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Smith is an excellent special teams player for us and a nice 46 safety. He sucks when pushed into the starting lineup which unfortunately he likely will be again when Landry breaks his muscles. Why would you compare Pool and Smith? Smith was locked up for the year while Pool was a FA. Not to mention Pool didn't play the same role as Smith for us.

I've said several times that I don't think it's a good idea to stand pat at RT, but clearly that seems to be what they're doing. We still suck at coverage at the S position, so we need to upgrade both S and RT IMO. Hopefully the FO has some hint that Vlad is going to get it this year.

You're a funny guy. So why is it exactly - that you've now decided I'm a "FO homer"?

17. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

If OJ is healthy, he is mire than just a stop gap solution. Thats big if though. I think I would take the risk. I cant bare anither season of Leonhard and Smith.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Well wadaya know, we agree on something :metal:

I am a bit worried about RT, although it seems like they have a plan. The only linesmen in the draft that could probably start right off the bat is Kalil, but we can probably snag a decent one to develop. Maybe they're actually thinking of trading up for Kalil, although it's hard to find it worthwhile. The only way that happens, is if they actually do address most needs by FA. I don't really see it, though. At this point I'm all about increasing our number of draft picks. Maybe trade up somewhere in the 2nd, while drafting OLB in the first. If the good DEs are taken by #16, should we consider trading down for 2nd and 3rds? It may be worth it. Then we could draft multiple linesman to develop and hope one breaks out before Hunter kills Sanchez. Signing a cheap RT for depth, might be a doable FA move, though.

#38 Barcs, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  19. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

we have a guy on the PS at RT that they are high on. His name is dennis Landolt and he is from Penn State. I also notice that they have not offered anything to Robert Turner. Hmmm!

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Poor Turner. I bet the FO hates him. He could have saved last season, had he played.