Jets Hire OL coach Pollack

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Can someone on here explain 'zone blocking'? What is it, how does it work, and why are some lineman good at it while others (who may be good at other schemes) suck at it. tu

2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Reading this is a great hire for us. Bengals fans sad to see him go + he was with the Cowboys a few years ago when they were forming that line.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Spencer Long Gone....

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

5. So the difference is in a man blocking scheme every linemen has a gap they are assigned to w different tasks(depending on the play). Running holes are dictated by the OL of an assigned gap creating space & the ball carrier is taught to hit whatever hole they are assigned or to bounce outside if hole isnt available.

Zone blocking scheme the OL all step in the same direction & their path for blocking is dictated by the defensive set.Natural “creases” are created based on the OL’s movement at the point of attack which replaces the line of scrimmage in this scheme.The RB is taught to look for the crease & hit it.

Personnel wise:

ZBS is easier to learn & removes some of the individual onus on OL making it more of a collective effort.ideal Zone OL are quick out of their stance,good disciplined feet,fluid in space & heavy hands at the point of attack.

Man youre usually looking for alittle bit of everything depending on what the OC likes to do.But its usually more about anchoring/drive blocking & less about agility & quickness

There are some subtle differences in pass pro but running game covers most of it.

Hope this helps.

Jets81, boozer32, almbleamal and 6 others like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

egelband likes this.
  7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

In a nutshell, OL will create double-team on the DL, then one of the OL will rub off and move up to the second line where LBs are. Theoretically, any two can form the double team, but some teams leave C on 1-on-1 matchup.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

So we need huge, physical linemen who can move.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Pollack: We need huge, physical linemen who can move.
    Mac: I'm on it! First round pick baby!
    Pollack: Offensive linemen.
    Mac: *silence*

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Does any evidence exist that there is any truth to the story upon which this thread is based? How long are rumors allowed to fly unsupported?

abc likes this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

You've done this with literally every single one of our hires. We get it, it isn't technically official until the Jets announce it. Sheesh.

FJF likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Hopefully at least a week longer than your allowed to keep posting

13. Ralebird

Okay, so you guys don't care about facts; the story is good enough for you. I want more, like accuracy; is that too difficult for you?

Fake, phony news has apparently become acceptable to a new generation of Americans.

Note to HotJ: You still don't know what "literally" means; you should refrain from using the word until you do. I "literally" do this only when rumor is spread as fact.

abc likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

Why are you doing this? To make yourself sound smart? It isn't working because here's the thing. I know what literally means. And I know we technically haven't hired Frank Pollack. In my career, when I'm writing things where I have to be on point, I make sure to get every detail right. But on a Jets forum, where I'm here for fun, I take it a little easier. I don't point out trivial mistakes, and I even make a few of my own, because I know they're trivial. And other posters know that too. So in your effort to display others' ignorance, the only ignorance you're displaying is your own.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You're on a Jets forum for fun! What's wrong with you! Who does that! That's like sticking needles in your eyeballs to improve your vision when you're already blind!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

K'OB and HomeoftheJets like this.
  16. Ralebird

You have it wrong, Homey. Ignorant means "lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated." I have the knowledge that the title of this thread is false; it was false when it was posted and it is stall false five days later. Ignorance is supporting the incorrect statement. Why would you support people putting false statements here? Certainly many things have been posted on these forums that prove to be incorrect, why even get involved if a) you agree the statement is false and b) were not responsible for posting it to begin with? You also don't seem to be able to differentiate between a simple mistake and spreading fake, phony news.

We all make mistakes but responsible people correct theirs rather than attack someone pointing it out.

17. abc

abc Well-Known Member

NYJ.com still has Dennison as the OL coach... it would be nice if the hiring of Pollack was Officially announced but as of now it hasn't.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I thought all the Jets’ Polacks were in the front office.

19. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I saw this today... I guess he's hired.

https://www.jetnation.com/2019/01/26/jets-hope-recent-success-of-pollack-continues-with-gang-green/

By Dylan Tereman

Adam Gase is still assembling his new staff to come to Florham Park, he’s hoping he made the right move with hiring of Frank Pollack. Formerly of the Cincinnati Bengals. Pollack was their offensive line coach with the Bengals and is expected to have the same duties in New York. He is entering into his 13th season as an NFL coach, having previous experience with the Cowboys and Raiders.

In his first and only year with the Bengals, Pollack was tasked with mentoring a revamped offensive line, consisting of 18th overall pick Billy Price from the 2018 Draft, as well as veterans Clint Boling and Cordy Glenn. According to Football Outsiders, the Bengals offensive line as a unit ranked 22nd in run blocking, compared to the Jets who were dead last. They were slightly better in pass protection at 19th, while Gang Green finished one spot better at 18th. The Bengals, as well as the Jets, surrendered 37 sacks for the season, just below the league average of 40. Pro Football Focus had them ranked 27th as an overall unit in 2018. It is worth noting they were 17th in the league in scoring offense, a big jump from New York at 23rd.

Before working in Cincinnati, Frank Pollack was with the Dallas Cowboys from 2013-2017, also as their offensive line coach. Pollack achieved much success in Dallas, largely in part to the play of 3 Pro Bowl caliber linemen. In his last year with the Cowboys, they ranked 3rd in yards averaged per rush with 4.52. In 2016, Dallas was awarded Offensive Line of the Year, also sending tackle Tyron Smith, guard Zack Martin and center Travis Frederick to the Pro Bowl. Prior to his time in Dallas, he worked in Oakland as the offensive line coach, where the Raiders passing offense was ranked 8th in 2012.

With more and more mock drafts coming out, Jonah Williams is one of many names associated with the Jets at third overall. After having success at many other stops along the way, the pairing of Pollack with a young Williams may be just what the Green & White need to protect the future in Sam Darnold. As the coaching staff starts to fill out, the Jets next goal will be aggressively attacking the free agent market in March, hopefully adding a piece or two for Pollack to work with.

NYJetsO12 and K'OB like this.
  20. Ralebird

Well, hell, yes, if you saw it on the internet...