Jets GM open to trading up in 2018 draft for a QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 4, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan said Wednesday that he’s open to trading up to draft a quarterback in the first round, Calvin Watkins of Newsday reports.

The Jets have the No. 6 overall pick, and Maccagnan, in his three seasons as GM, has yet to move up in the first round. But with the Jets needing a franchise quarterback, the time appears right to do so.

“Yeah, I would say it would actually pertain to any player you felt extremely strong about, too,” Maccagnan said on ESPN 98.7. “But we’ve moved back a little bit in the draft and there’ve been situations I’ve tried to move up in the draft. But I would say the simple answer to that question is yes, and if that was a player we felt very strongly about we would have no qualms about potentially trying to go and get him.”

Josh McCown was the Jets’ starting quarterback for the first 13 games of the season before he broke his left hand. Todd Bowles moved Bryce Petty into the starting role and he played the remaining three games. Christian Hackenberg received some first-team reps in practice during the last two weeks of the season but didn’t take the field.

Maccagnan said that was Bowles’ decision, but the GM has the power over the draft, and 2018 has a high value for quarterbacks. USC’s Sam Darnold and UCLA’s Josh Rosen are the favorites to go 1-2 overall, and both announced Wednesday night that they will enter. Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield, the Heisman Trophy winner, Louisville’s Lamar Jackson, the 2016 Heisman winner, and Wyoming’s Josh Allen also are prospective first-round picks.

Moving up in the draft requires assets, and the Jets have two second-round picks to mortgage as well as a 2019 first-rounder. Would that be enough to get in position to take a top-rated quarterback? Very possibly.

KurtTheJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Now that both Darnold and Rosen have declared, he probably would have to move up, if he wants either of them. I would support that move, although Darnold being only a sophomore scares me a little. I like Mayfield and he may be there at 6 now that Darnold and Rosen have declared. Also like Rudolph at 6 too. I would be happy with any of those outcomes.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am sure that most GMs would like to trade up for one of the top two QBs. The real question is are the Browns or Giants willing to trade down?

If they like franchise GMs half as much as the folks on this forum those QBs are spoken for.

4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think the giants would love to trade that pick and get more. They're not gonna bounce Eli just yet

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

almbleamal and GasedAndConfused like this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is to do what it takes to draft Rosen. If the option to trade up for him is on the table at any point, they almost have to pull the trigger. It's worth it to lock down the future at QB (ideally).

The Giants will want Barkley, but #2 is too early. It makes sense for them to trade down, draft him and then use the extra picks on the oline. I just worry about them trading with someone else to get ahead of us.

#5 Sam Hammer, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I don't think the Giants will trade their pick is either Darnold or Rosen. The opportunity to pick 2nd in the draft does not happen very often for them.

7. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is that the Browns will take whichever QB they want with their 1st pick and Barkley with their 2nd. Their new GM with want to start with a bang!

ColoradoContrails and almbleamal like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The question with the Giants is: Are they going for another Super Bowl with Eli?

They entered the 2017 season with Super Bowl thoughts. The team fell a part, was injured, and had no running game. If they draft Barkley, all of a sudden they have a running game. OBJ and Marshall will be back with Shephard and Engram. Use the rest of the draft/free agency to fix the O-line and make another Super Bowl run in 2018.

OR
    You can blow it up, cut the old players, draft Rosen/Darnold, trade Eli to Jacksonville, start fresh in 2018.

Not sure which way they are leaning yet.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Oh Mac deciding he needs to trade UP??? ...BOUT TIME IDE SAY

My goodness ..no pick for the Defense ..perhaps this Team is finally getting it right

Do what you have to do Mr. Mac ...5 picks sounds good to me for the Colts to be interested or Giants or Browns ...don't know who your takers are

Be aggressive here imo

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Is he a Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold hybrid that is the best of both?

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

there is a very good chance they pick top 5 next year as well. no cap room, aging poor QB, new GM and head coach incoming. Still Eli's name and SB rings hold weight. they essentially fired their HC for benching him. I cna't seem them turning around and releasing him. regardless of who they draft eli is their QB for 2018. so it would make sense to fill holes, cut dead weight, go full rebuild and still pick at the top for 2019 and get their future QB

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. westiedog1

No, I think he wants to draft Sam Rosen, the voice of the NY Rangers.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Ahahaha! The Rangers have been on my mind! Can't believe I did that.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd rather Sam Rosen in this organization than Josh Rosen!

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sam Rosen? What is this? Dragon Ball Z?

16. westiedog1

No worries we all do it. Actually as I age, I find myself doing it more and more. Funny how that works.

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It's a power play goal!!