Jets/Giants scouting Darnold/Rosen

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 17, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Very true - but the Browns are the Browns. Who knows what they'll do

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, if Elway has a shot at getting Rosen, he'll go all-in. That's really all the Broncos need to get back to a SB.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Morton and Bowles can coach this kid up just fine. I like the receivers, the TEs, gotta fix up the line, get some more RBs.

You guys saying oh McCown will start no matter what, Bowles will always start the vet,etc, if Rosen is ready to play and he's anywhere near a McCown, Rosen will start. Only reason McCown is still playing is because Hack and Petty straight up suck. McCown already starting to lose games for the Jets. I don't need to see Petty or Hack play this year to make this assessment.

Mogriffjr and FJF like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

Again, true, but if not the Browns, there's 4 or 5 other QB-hungry teams ahead of the Jets,plus Buffalo has some ammo to trade up and you KNOW they're going to be looking for one.

5. grkmanga31

I don't think so personally. I think their o-line isn't the greatest and their running backs also aren't game breaking. They have Thomas and Sanders and a bunch of meh players.

Their defense is still good and I think their recent play has been because of team turmoil at the QB.

I think them firing McCoy may breath some life into that team and also we play them in a few weeks which will have significant implications for each teams draft position.

6. ColoradoContrails

Unless you can provide proof that you have a personal relationship with Bowles, I take your belief that he'll play a rookie over a vet to be simply unfounded faith.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

8. 101GangGreen101

You have no proof he will play a vet over a rookie QB whose actually ready to play.

Mogriffjr and FJF like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

10. grkmanga31

Bowles can't coach up a young QB, but Mortion may. Our offense is missing a lot of o-line help IMO, but in terms of WR and RB's we are fine. Think we could use an elite #1 but I think Enunwa will come back and will be a great addition. Powell gets injured often and I think McGuire is very elusive. I think we end up drafting another RB to compliment the both of them.

I do think Bowles wanted to give Hack the starting spot but he didn't earn it and now we find ourselves with McCown starting - which isn't a bad thing, it's just not sustainable. If Rosen is somehow drafted by the jets, which isn't likely, he best start immediately IMO.

I think we will eventually see Petty or Hack this season - but that's when we're mathematically eliminated - which should probably be in a few weeks given the toughness of our schedule going forward.

11. ColoradoContrails

You're right, no "slam dunk" proof, but given his insistence on playing McCown over Petty - who HAS shown some ability to play - is very troubling.

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I agree that he's preferable to Darnold as a thrower at this point, But Darnold may have pluses in the other areas. Also feel that Mason Rudolph is every bit as accomplished a thrower as Rosen. I don't much hold with all the Rosen off field issues. All I'm concerned about is performance on the field. However, if it's an issue for those making the decision, then choosing Rudolph over Rosen doesn't present any serious downside, IMO. In the same regard, I still prefer Mayfield over all of them because he offers the extra ability to extend a play with his mobility. Despite all of this, I would be happy with any of these guys if they were picked by the Jets.

13. grkmanga31

Except Sean McDermott just made a huge coaching blunder by benching Tyrod and have Peterman throw 5 interceptions. It may show them that they need to stay with Taylor. I don't disagree that landing Rosen is almost impossible

14. 101GangGreen101

Bowles has to ensure he has the right coaching and tools. I like Morton and the system he has. I think the system implemented is good, but the play-calling has to get a lot better IMO. It's far too inconsistent from game to game. What is the Jets bread and butter to get the offense into rhythm? Enunwa is a #1 and has had success against the Gilmores and the Malcolm Butlers. Then you got Robbie, Kearse and the TEs. Not too bad. The center position absolutely must be upgraded in order for the QB to stand a chance.

I like McGuire and his hands, I don't think he's a 3 down back at this level that can take on 20+ carries, but I like him out of the back-field catching passes. Either the Jets go with this system going forward, or they get a new HC and a new offense, but I can't stand seeing younger players learn new systems year in and year out.

FJF and grkmanga31 like this.
  15. grkmanga31

What he did over the weekend with the whole grabbing his crotch and yelling expletives - although I personally don't think it's that big of a deal - may rub a ton of GM's the wrong way. They'll think he's the next Johnny Manziel even though one was addicted to pills and the nightlife, and Baker is just too hot headed and jacked up versus some opponents.

Also Bakers size may be problematic and although some may compare him to Russel Wilson - Wilson came from a prostyle offense and Baker does not

16. 101GangGreen101

What's "some" ability to play? Sure he can make a nice throw down the field every now and then, but he has no command of that offense. Petty will get a shot, but he's not a starter in this league and I think Bowles knows that, so does everyone else.

At best he's a backup.

FJF likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

I was waiting for someone here to trot that out. But I don't think the comparison to Jets situation is the same. It WOULD be if Bowles had decided to bench McCown and play Hack maybe, but there's also the make up of both teams. The Bills were realistically in the playoff hunt, and arguably have a more settled roster, so they had good reason to have hope they could make the playoffs this year. The Jets, not so much. What McDermott did smacks of him filling out his roster in the bar early Sunday morning.

18. grkmanga31

I agree that continuity in a system is important but I also think that we can't have continuity just for the sake of it. If Bowles is canned - I think it's possible depending on how we go the rest of the way, Morton will likely be canned as well. He's been good for us but some games his play calling is mind boggling and it's happened a few times this season. I've heard that the west coast offense sometimes suffers from those kind of lapses where one game it looks great and another nothing works.

Regardless of whether we sign Cousins or draft a QB - the o-line absolutely needs a major upgrade, center is a huge must

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Well maybe you have more knowledge about this than me, but based upon what I've seen from Petty I sure would be playing him right now, ESPECIALLY after McCown couldn't move the team against Tampa. Is Petty a FQB? Not likely, but I believe he's much better than you - and of course Bowles - give him credit for.

20. grkmanga31

After the Bills shipped off Marcell Darius a few weeks ago the Bills have looked lost. Say what you will about McDermott's cut throat approach, I think he's rocked the boat too much and it looks as if that team is lost.

Follow that up with benching Taylor and McDermott looks like he's trying to change too much too quickly.