Jets draft position

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Beki, Dec 12, 2016.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don, seriously, a franchise QB is all you need and then everything falls into place?

The Colts destroyed their roster to get Luck, who was the biggest can't-miss since Peyton, did everything fall into place for them? Peyton had an excellent line, Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison. And he still struggled.

Smart teams that win consistently always have a solid offensive line and a running game for a young QB to rely on during the early hard times. Please give me an example of a team that had as many roster issues as this team and then found that can't miss franchise QB that made everything fall into place.

You can't, because it's a fucking myth.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's true that the best odds of getting to and winning a SB come with having a great QB, but even the great ones had great talent around them. And there are a fair amount of average/above average QBs who got to the SB and/or won, who had great talent around them. So the common denominator is great surrounding talent. Right now the Jets don't have that, so even if they had a Peyton Manning - or Joe Namath - they would likely not get to a SB.

That said, if a Payton Manning were available to them, of course I would want them to take him. After all, you're not usually going to have everything line up and the timing to be perfect, so you jump on opportunity when it appears. But there are no "Peyton Mannings" available this year, so getting that great QB isn't an option.

But, they may already have their QB in Petty (or Hack). For all intents and purposes they have to proceed on that basis for now. So they need to look to upgrade in their next most critical area. For me that's getting a great RB, if possible, and that would mean Fournette. If he's there when they pick they have to take him as getting a game-breaking RB would take a big load off the QB and the OL - in essence you improve three areas with one pick. If he's not available - and assuming Garrett isn't available - I would think about Peppers, again on the basis that improving the secondary improves the pass rush, so two areas improved with one pick. If he wasn't available, I would then consider trading down a bit if I believed that I could get some help for the OL/Pass Rush/Secondary.

Bottom line, this is going to be a process, no quick fixes, and we need to forget about the oxymoron "competitive rebuild" as that doesn't apply to teams who have been losers for so long. If they had admitted that last year, we would be one year closer to winning now instead of floundering once again.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I like it.

I think it's a very long shot that they have their QB in Petty, even though I like his skulls, ability and mind. He sounds like a winner.

What they need to do is assume they have the guy, and set the groundwork for him to succeed. From what I understand, there are no Orlando Paces in this draft. People think that means there are no first round prospects on the Oline.

If that's the case, you lose a little value by trading down to the end of the first round, and find the smartest, hardest working guard or end that gives you some athletic talent. The guy that lives football. And you ignore the twat reporters that say you reached, because you took a dump yesterday that has more football knowledge than they will ever have in their lives.

Next round, target the biggest offensive football junkie you can find at TE. Hands decent hands and never gives up on a block. We see them in the third round every year going to teams that aren't the Jets. The guy that outworks everyone. I'm not talking about Rudy, I'm just talking about the guy you think will get the existing athletic freaks to take notice and start getting mad about how they're being outperformed by a guy they can beat.

Too many people think the only real inspiration should come from the HC. These are people who have obviously never played competitive sports in their lives.

The locker room is the first place that inspiration should come from. Competition. The Jets have long given starting shots to players who just out-athlete other players. Remember Danny Woodhead? The guy should have stayed. But an athlete who got the nod from Sanchez and Ryan got the shot instead. RIP McKnight, but he kind of sucked and was out of football quickly.

We need smart players that love football. Not just guys trying to get out of a bad situation and cash in quickly.

The rest of the draft should be predicated on intelligence, speed, and love of football.

The Jets have shown no heart this year. There have been some young players who have shown up, but the vets have largely been garbage. Get rid of that element. Rebuild the right way.

From the ground up mentally and physically.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm glad you mentioned Woodhead. I too thought they made a huge mistake in cutting him, and look who quickly snapped him up. I agree 100% that you need to have players who are smart and play hard and never quit, first and foremost. The Jets have too often lacked in this department. Let's hope they're finally addressing this.

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don't recall mentioning anything about drafting a QB. There are other good uses of a high first round draft pick. Like turning it into more draft picks, for instance. Jets have a lot of holes to fill.

I'd agree with you if I believed the team was a year or 2 away, but I don't. That's means Petty or whoever else we trot out there will have plenty of games to gain confidence.

6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

The big picture is....there's not much of a difference between pick 5 and 10. There are players to be had throughout the draft....especially in round 1.

This team is a loser. Picking at the top of the draft every year doesn't breed winners....despite what fan-GM's would like to tell you. Ask the Browns and Jags about it. Building a good team is about hitting on picks later in the draft and finding value in free agency. Case in point, Seahawks. Patriots. Broncos. Yeah, a few high picks here and there but the makeup of these rosters are value guys.

It means more to the team if Petty can show he's worth a damn and this team can get behind a winner for next season.

Freddy Mondo, nicg4360 and RonPi like this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I'm aware that having high picks doesn't breed winners. The Jets are proof of that.

If Petty plays well and the Jets win, great. If Petty plays poorly and the Jets win, then what? How much of an impact does he have to have for the win to be worth it? What if the Jets win games 6-3 racking up 120 yards of offense? Will you still feel good about that?

#67 Jets81, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A big NO to Peppers. He has no position, and while he may have ball skills as a returner, he's not showed them as a DB. I don't think he has a single interception. There are too many good CBs in this draft class to take one who is really a return guy.

9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I hate looking forward to April in December.

Another year gone.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

And the big picture will show you that there is no reason to believe the Jets will be better off with the 4th or 6th pick.

Dierking likes this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If the Jets win out they'll slide further then 6th.

12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

The only game the jets seemed to give a damn was when petty played with grit and determination and they thrived off it. I have a feeling if he played like he did against the rams all will be well with getting a higher pick. I prefer they win and he grows as our qb.

13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

If we ever get to be GMs of NFL teams, NC, I will remember to tank the last couple of games so I'll be in a great position for you to trade up to.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!!! OK, but only for a QB, Pass rusher or LT

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Where did we draft John Abraham, Sean Ellis, Mangold, Revis? Where did we draft DeWayne Robertson, Mark Sanchez, Vernon Gholston?

pdxdrew and Jets_Grinch like this.
  16. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The draft order is strength of schedule this year with the teams updated records throughout this year and as of right now, the Jets have the #6 pick. However, if the Jets can win one more game, they'll still most likely keep the number 6 pick but that'll give ownership more reasons to keep this bum Bowles.

17. 94Abraham

Everyone says the same thing every year but it never happens. Teams aren't going to even want to trade up unless it's one of those 2 players and this those guys clearly won't be around when the Jets pick.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  18. 94Abraham

5th. The Bears were ahead due to easier SOS.

19. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

FYI, Peppers has one interception, but I agree that he shouldn't be the pick.

20. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

excatly. the stelers went to super bowl and won with early big ben by using the very same formula that you cited.
    until the jets commit first and second round picks to the ol, especially tackle, then you could have brady back there and he would not resemble the guy playing in foxborough.