Jets and Redskins Trade (La Canfora Speculation)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TurkJetFan, Mar 20, 2019.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Colts say hi.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We were talking about whether Macc has done a good job. Missing on Mahomes was part of that discussion.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

by that logic every GM sucked for missing on brady 5 times in the draft. same goes for antonio brown. every GM missed on bell (2nd rounder) you can't take every player from every draft that turned out great after you picked and call it a miss. I'd only consider it a "miss" if you draft a bust or if you draft a player at a position and one that was taken shortly after for the same position was much better. It can't be a miss when you land a guy who is 2nd team all pro, top 3 at his position, and a pro bowler by year 2 of his career.

LAJet and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Josh Norman is a fit on the Jets. He is strictly a zone CB.

5. The team needs are far greater just one player. Even if we subscribe to your rationale wherein the Jets drafting infrastructure yields virtually nothing after round 1 & therefore needs to pounce on perceived “elite” talent at the top it’d literally take another 3-4 years on this same path to field anything close to a contender bc we still lack answers at impact positions LT/Edge/WR/CB.And thats assuming there are blue chip talents at those positions that dont bust in the coming years.

The team needs a major influx of talent.Enough having limited picks every year & needing everyone of those picks to hit..its not realistic. Enough trying to build a team on paper.Create volume decide what an NY jet is supposed to look like & execute.Not all the picks will be hits but if 80% of them hit we’re in much better shape as a roster.

4 years into MAC i still have no idea what a NY Jet is supposed to look like bc the process is overly measured & dependent on every single pick hitting which they have not & theres nothing to build off of.All i know is that MAC likes “buying low” on guys at one time were considered elite but havent been able to stay healthy.It hasnt worked

We need to trade down..establish a prototype & cast a wide net at impact positions name value be damned.We can easily trade down to numerous slots & still grab a quality edge & have alot more ammo going into day 2/3 & possibly into 2020.

Enough tip toeing through the tulip patch W a random collection of talent.

6. NCJetsfan

Ferrell is more of a 4-3 DE, so wouldn't be a great fit.

McCoy is supposedly only the 3rd best center in the draft, and probably won't be ready to start this season, so unless Mac signs a starting-caliber C prior to the draft or a camp cut, the offense will be in trouble at the C position.

I like Sills, but there are other WRs I like a lot better.

7. NCJetsfan

Of course he could blow the windfall, but we can't keep going the way we are. We'll never build a winner with Mac settling for the BPA in the 1st round and then missing on most of the rest of the picks. We have to hope that Mac either has learned and gets it right, or screws the pooch and Chris Johnson will finally wake up and fire him

#167 NCJetsfan, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was just plugging in general players who can go at those spots with the Jets' needs. Sometimes people can get a clearer picture of a potential trade if you plug players in instead of just the picks they would be getting. That is all I was trying to do.

Agreed. No doubt about it. I just worded my response wrong with that first sentence.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree. How long had the Jets been without a FQB? How long had it been since the Jets were even in good position to draft a potential FQB? Then as if a gift from God, there in the 2017 draft were Mahomes and Watson sitting right there, both of them rated as first round picks, both had their strengths. Mac wouldn't have had to trade up to get one. He could have taken one and then immediately started building around him in that draft with his other picks. QBs with arms and improvisational ability like Mahomes don't come along every day. I think it was as stupid to pass on Mahomes as it was to draft Hack in the first place. Then Mac had to trade a bunch of draft capital to get Darnold. Think of what the Jets could have done with those 3-2nd round picks.

Even if one forgets Mac's other bad drafting, the 2017 draft alone should have been justifiable reason for firing him. How many times did he trade down, miss on good players and took bad ones. This draft was Idzik bad except for Adams and Maye. While I love Adams and like Maye, I'd much rather have had Mahomes and some of the following players instead of the draft that we wound up with.

If the Jets had taken Mahomes with their 1st round pick in the 2017 draft, following are some players the Jets could have added to build around Sam:

2nd round - Curtis Samuel, WR; Dalvin Cook, RB; Gerald Everett, TE; Adam Shaheen, TE; or Joe Mixon, RB. Alternatively, they could have possibly traded up and taken Ryan Ramczyk, LT or Forrest Lamp, OG, or they could have traded down and taken Ethan Pocic, C.

3rd round - Mac traded down with the Vikings getting the 15th pick of the 3rd round (#79) and the 16th pick of the 5th round (#160). Instead of trading down from #6 to #15 and taking Ardarius Stewart, maybe they could have traded up and taken Alvin Kamara, RB, maybe they could have stayed put and taken Pat Elflein, C or Dan Feeney, OG, or even with a trade down, maybe they could have taken Chris Godwin, WR or Kareem Hunt, WR. He traded our 3rd round compensatory pick (#107) to Tampa Bay and got their 4th round pick (#125) and I don't know what else in return. He had traded our 4th round pick to the Redskins during the 2016 draft. The pick he got from the Bucs, he traded to the Rams for pick #141 and pick #197. The 5th round pick he got from the Vikings he traded to the Browns for picks #181 and #188.

In the 4th round instead of trading down twice, they could have taken Samaje Perine, RB or Tarik Cohen, RB. Even with the trade down, they could have taken George Kittle, TE.

In 2018, instead of trading up, we could have taken one of the following with our 1st round pick: Quenton Nelson, OG; Mike McGlinchey, OT; or Roquan Smith, ILB; or Minkah Fitzpatrick, S. We may have even been able to trade down, adding more 2nd and 3rd round picks and taken someone like Derwin James, S; Jaire Alexander, CB; Frank Ragnow, C; Billy Price, C, or Isaiah Wynn, OT. With our own 2nd round pick, we could have taken one of James Daniels, C; Braden Smith, OG; Courtland Sutton, WR; Mike Gesicki, TE; Kerryon Johnson, RB; or Dante Pettis, WR. With the 2nd round pick we got from Seattle for Richardson, we could have taken one of Dallas Goedert, TE; Connor Williams, OG; Anthony Miller, WR; Derrius Guice RB; or James Washington, WR.

I didn't even consider the defensive players they may have added in 2017, but Mac could have added our franchise QB in 2017, possibly added our LT, or an excellent OG, a C, another OG, or one of several WRs, RBs and TEs. With the 2-2nd round picks in 2018, we could have added a great C prospect in Daniels or again, chosen between several good WR, RB and TE prospects.

The team could be in a heck of a lot better shape, and the OL could be fixed by now. Think of what having our 2nd round pick could mean this year.

Mac's handling of the 2017, and then as a result the 2018 drafts is definitely grounds for his firing.

#169 NCJetsfan, Mar 22, 2019
  10. NCJetsfan

Utter nonsense. The 1st round is really the best round to trade back. For trading back in the first, you can get an additional 2nd and 3rd round pick and/or a 1st or 2nd round pick the following year. It doesn't make any sense to trade back after the 2nd, because the talent pool really starts thinning out, and then by the 5th round you're just getting bodies that don't have much of a chance to contribute in the NFL or who are career STers. That was one of the dumbest things Mac did in the 2017 draft. He traded down in lower rounds and wound up with a bunch of crappy players who are no longer on the team. McGuire, I think, is the only one still on the team, and he's not great shakes.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind it.

#15 pick? Sure.

If the package looks like:

#1, #2, #3 this year
    #1 #2 next year
    #1 the year after

Sure, they can have Josh Allen pick. [Know that Jets are giving up a premium edge rushing prospect for this trade, and Skins are swinging for a franchise QB.]

#171 Zach, Mar 22, 2019
  12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don't think even Snyder would "RGIII" trade again. I'd expect a multi-year package of #2s, #3s and #4s - I don't think we'll get multiple first round picks. I also don't believe Macc is that interested in the top of this draft (mainly positions that he's avoided before) so would expect him to deal without a kings ransom.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Hey, you never know.

[Sponsored by: New York Lottery]

ConcordeChops likes this.
  14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

And if that were the package I don’t think we’d do it

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

As someone mentioned earlier this team needs so much help that staying at three is an option but trading back makes sense. The Giants would be ideal. Dropping three spots we could get maybe Josh Allen still but someone like Jonah Williams, Rashan Gary, Cleelin Farrell will help. Those three are definitely a slot below Bosa, Williams and Allen but not that far off. Addressing the o-line or d-end/olb would be nice. Then with the added second round pick and maybe third round pick we could add a center that is needed, a cb which is needed, as well as other additions at wr, oline and dline or end. Having more picks in the 2nd and third round could go a long way.

Ideally I'd like to trade with the Giants.

6. Jonah Williams jack of all traits. Play him at center if need be and he could do it or have him push Winters.
    37 (Giants). I know the three centers are Jenkins, Bradbury, or McCoy. Each person has them in different rounds or areas but by getting one of them it secures the line and hopefully Williams and the center recreate a Brick and Mangold combo for us for years to come.
    68. One of the dend. Looking at the draft projection Granderson, Walker, or Ferguson are projected for round three.
    94. CB of Love, Oruwayrie, or Mullen round three cbs. Pick 68 and 94 can change based on best player of the end or cb position.
    95 (Giants). WR Harmon, Whiteside or Boykins or a tight end Warring or OIiver.

Obviously this is me far from a scout but just looking at people who are pretty good with this project these guys in these rounds. To me something like this could be a home run for us.

LaConfora's report of the Skins trading up with us I'm ok with I just need next year's number one plus their two and three this year to go that far down. We're in year two of the rebuild. Still more to go but dropping back could speed the process up and be really helpful. I'm all about dropping back. Look how it helped the Colts. Really think it would help us too.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

To anyone trashing MacCagnan for missing out on certain players, something that would never happen if YOU were our GM:

Some GMs gonna draft a REALLY good player in the later rounds. A player that all other GMs and fans have missed/passed on.

OK smarty pants. Before the 2019 draft, before a single snap in pre-season, name that player. Go.

#176 Footballgod214, Mar 22, 2019
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

To anyone trashing Hackenberg for being inaccurate, something that never would have happened if YOU were our QB:

Some QBs gonna throw passes that end up on target. Passes that all other QBs would have thrown off target.

OK smarty pants. Get on a football field and throw accurate passes. Go.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll accept that challenge as long as I get to sit in Macc's chair for at least three months and have available to me all the data he has at his disposal.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's REAL easy to bash GM's a year after the draft, after we see all the players and where they were drafted and how they performed in their rookie seasons.

But it's a LOT harder to know who to draft and where to draft them with nothing but a list of 500 potential players, especially in the latter rounds 4-7.

You're in the 4th round on the 5 minute clock and it's ticking. There are 30 WRs left, 40 RBs left, a bunch of lineman, 6 QBs, 22 TEs, 18 LBers, on and on. You really like 4 WRs, 2 RBs, 1 TE, there's a LBer with speed you liked, 2 DBs with good height and hands but a tad slower than the elite guys, and a QB with everything you could ask for including setting all the records, but played in Div3. Everyone's graded out about the same within their position. You quickly narrow it down to 2 WRs, the TE, one of the DBs, and maybe the QB. 10 seconds left. You go with your gut and turn your card in.

"With the 105th pick, the NY Jets select: Chris Herndon, TE".

You won't know for another year or two if it was the right call. You won't know until your fans sees how the 5 guys you DIDN'T pick end up doing for their teams.

Life of a GM!

#179 Footballgod214, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  20. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Chris Herndon is about to become a star. People aren’t realizing how good he was as a rookie. Aside from Sam and Jamal, he is my favorite drafted player on the team.