Jets acting owner having a blast, expects permanent role

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Sep 16, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

GREAT NEWS FOR JETS FANS! The news this week gets better by the day

[​IMG]
    • Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/77364/77364

1. Merry Chris: CEO Christopher Johnson, the acting owner, has no intention of retreating to the background when big brother Woody Johnson returns from his appointment as the U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom. He likes the job too much ("It's a great gig"), and he absolutely believes he can make a significant contribution for the long term.

This is good news for the organization because Christopher has improved the culture at One Jets Drive (ask any player) and provided leadership through a painful rebuilding process. The only question is whether he can be tough enough to drop the hammer if the program starts to go sideways or backward.

"I'm having the time of my life," Johnson said this past week. "If I was having that much fun with a five-win season, imagine how much fun I'll be having if we actually start killing it. I'm hopeful we can do that.

"I'm looking forward to my brother coming back in a few years. He's a great leader, but no question, I'm hoping to have a larger role at that point than I had prior. I think he'd welcome that. I know he would. I think I have a new perspective at this point that would be valuable for the franchise."

Woody Johnson still follows his team from across the pond. In fact, he called Christopher on Tuesday morning ("way too early") to discuss the big win Monday night. Woody attended the Jets-Giants preseason game, keeping a low profile in the owner's box. His ambassadorship lasts another two years, so his little brother still has time to cast his imprint on the franchise. If he's smart, Woody will let Christopher continue to run the show when he returns to the States.

2. New vibe on offense: It's early, but you have to like Jeremy Bates' aggressiveness and cutting-edge approach on offense. In his offensive-coordinator debut Monday night, he introduced a couple of wrinkles: the zone-read and RPOs (run-pass option).

The RPOs, made famous last season by the Philadelphia Eagles, are gaining popularity across the league. Sam Darnold ran at least two in Monday's game, resulting in an incompletion and a 15-yard pass to Quincy Enunwa. An RPO requires quick decision-making and a quick release by the quarterback. When executed properly, it's a major headache for the defense.

The Jets also used a zone-read on six plays, including Isaiah Crowell's 6-yard touchdown run, per ESPN Stats & Information research. Six plays might not sound like a lot, but the Jets ran only 16 the entire 2017 season.

When it comes to quarterbacks, Bates has a philosophy: Treat them like rookies, and they will play like rookies. That's why he had no qualms about entrusting Darnold with a relatively sophisticated game plan. He's also willing to take chances, as evidenced by the daring pass play to open the game. Sure, it backfired with a pick-six, but it sent a message.

"When we go up to the plate, we're not swinging for a single," Bates said. "We're going for the home run. We're going to take our cuts."

3. The all-what-if team: In recent years, the Jets have unsuccessfully chased some big names, including one player they will see Sunday at MetLife Stadium: Miami Dolphins left tackle Laremy Tunsil.

When Tunsil started falling during the 2016 draft -- remember the gas-mask/bong video? -- the Jets tried to trade up 10 spots to No. 10 overall. They offered the Giants their first-round pick (20th), plus a second-rounder. The Giants wanted a fourth-rounder, too. With the aforementioned picks, the Jets took linebacker Darron Lee (promising), quarterback Christian Hackenberg (bust) and cornerback Juston Burris (backup). Knowing what we know now, they should've pulled the trigger for Tunsil, who plays a premium position.

Other big swings-and-misses: quarterback Kirk Cousins, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and linebacker Khalil Mack. The Jets should have no regrets with Cousins and Suh. But Mack? Imagine their defense with him on the edge.

4. Welcome back, Mr. T: Mike Tannenbaum, the Jets' general manager from 2006 to 2012, makes his annual return to New Jersey as the Dolphins' football czar. It's hard to believe, but only one player remains from the Tannenbaum era: running back Bilal Powell, a fourth-round pick in 2011.

5. Q rating on the rise: I think Enunwa is on his way to a big season. Based on the opener (six catches for 63 yards and a touchdown), he'll be a tough cover because there's no telling where he will line up. On one play, he came out of the backfield and was covered by a linebacker -- mismatch city.

You've heard of "Where's Waldo?" The Jets' offense could be "Where's Quincy?" Check out his snap distribution Monday night:

• In the slot (left/right): 19 snaps
    • Wide left/right: 16 snaps
    • Tight end: Three snaps
    • In the backfield: One snap
    If Enunwa draws a linebacker or a safety, it should be easy pickings. His versatility creates myriad playcalling possibilities for Bates. This happens to be a contract year for Enunwa, who could make a nice score on the free-agent market.

6. Darnold's stereo system:
    I had to laugh when Darnold described what it's like having a locker between Enunwa and Jermaine Kearse, another wide receiver.

"When I first got here, and I found out that I was going to be in between both of them, I was like, 'Man, this might be a long year,'" Darnold said. "'I want the ball.' 'No, give it to me.' But it was fun and games."

Diva receivers can make it tough on a quarterback, especially a young quarterback. I remember Mark Sanchez in 2010 and 2011, when he had to deal with the constant chirping of Santonio Holmes. Fortunately for Darnold, Kearse and Enunwa are two of the smartest players in the room, so that in-between locker is prime real estate for a rookie.

7. Cool (Joe) and the gang: This is the 50th anniversary of the Jets' only Super Bowl season, so you'll be reading and hearing a lot about the '68 team. A new book provides a fascinating look at the players and the epic victory over the Colts in Super Bowl. It's entitled, "Beyond Broadway Joe: The Super Bowl TEAM That Changed Football," written by Bob Lederer.

The book touches on Joe Namath, of course, but it focuses on the other players and their stories. Contrary to popular belief, it wasn't a one-man team. The chapter on Matt Snell is intriguing because the former fullback carries a 30-year grudge against the franchise and refuses to talk about it. Well, he talks about it in the book, revealing the reason for his ire. In 1974, he told Lederer, he applied for a job in construction, and the Jets refused to give him a reference, citing a team policy. There are many more nuggets in the book.

8. The last word: "He's cool as a cucumber." -- a rival AFC scout after watching Darnold's NFL debut against the Lions.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

For all of you who say Mac has neglected the OL and won’t ever draft one at the top of the draft see # 3. He even tried to trade up to get Tunsil. In hindsight it’s too bad he wasn’t able to pull that trade off ....

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The guy says he had the time of his life during our 5 win season and how much fun he was having...WTF am I missing here.Another hack who just doesn't get it

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Pseudo Spike

Pseudo Spike Member

Boy he has a tough life :rolleyes: Must be nice...

5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Hopefully Woody will let him stay in charge when he comes back. Whether or not he's the guy who can lead the Jets organization towards consistent winning and success remains to be seen, but we know that Woody isn't going to do it. Short of him selling the team, this is better than what we've been doing.