Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is honestly the first time that I have heard anything mention about his ever having a concussion before. It's surprising, because with the way the "experts" and the media talk about Rosen's concussions, you'd think that they'd talk about Mayfield's two, even if they were two years ago.

Thanks for setting the record straight.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Which is what scares me about Macdoodling picking the wrong QB..2 Failures already!!

He better have his head straight for this one..March is over next week weekend ..draft is 1 month away..whelp

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Just read 2 mocks..landof10.com and CBS Sports after googling "who will draft Josh Allen" Both mocks had the Giants passing on a QB and taking Nelson or Chubb.we take Rosen and Denver at 5 gets Allen in BOTH mocks

Its unbelievable if Cleveland gets both Darnold and Saquon. Have they ever been to a SB?? Get ready..

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well Soylent I often agree with you, but on this one definitely not. Setting aside the measurables that consistently place Mayfield at the top, what your argument is based on is that he's too short. Yet you acknowledge that Wilson is shorter. What's funny is that you say "if he was three inches shorter he'd be shorter than Wilson", but what if he was 3 inches taller - I mean if we're going to magically adjust his height it works both ways, right? then he'd be as tall as Allen. And did you not hear that he had the highest velocity behind Allen at the combine? I'm pretty sure that means he COULD throw the ball 70 yards at least.

But here's the real question: Would you rather have a guy who has proven he can make every throw and has one of the highest completion percentages, and has won consistently, even against the odds (walking on to TWO different programs and beating out the competition!), or would you rather have a guy who has lots of potential, but not much in actual production? Based on your post here, I'm pretty sure I know your answer, but I would challenge you to have an open mind and not just respond in a knee jerk fashion. Keep in mind that until Allen proves that he can be much more accurate and improve his reaction/reads there is no assurance that he'll be able to do it in the NFL against much better athletes. Mayfield proved he can play against the best college has to offer, while Allen had his hands full against the Mountain West Conference and "powerhouses" like Hawaii. Allen does have great potential but he also presents a great risk.

SoylentGreen and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He's kidding. It's a parody

SoylentGreen likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Media really did a good one on this one. Not 1 mention about Mayfield and his concussion history, but they will ride on Rosens

7. NCJetsfan

Spot on, Colorado! Good post.

SoylentGreen likes this.
  8. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Yeah I was totally kidding.

Mayfield’s the guy imo we need + as more and more info comes out, this will become clearer to all that he’s the guy the Jets are targeting + best fits their west coast / Bates offense.

I’ve been watching and re-watching more and more of his tape and it’s the best of any of these qb’s. He makes throws with touch and accuracy under pressure (this is so key to have success in the NFL) that no one else in this class can make.

He’s knocking it out of the park on ALL registers -
    Top notch tape, intangibles, leadership, metrics + great post season workouts.

Other than height, which hasn’t been an issue, and some footwork/working under center experience needed, the dude has no deficits.

ColoradoContrails and Walt White like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Well some days I'm slower than others...that's old age for you!:)

SoylentGreen and Walt White like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Sorry, I'm having computer screen troubles - my sarcasm filter is acting up.:p

SoylentGreen likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Thank God you posted this! LOL I thought I had lost my mind. I was certain that I remembered you posting pro Mayfield earlier, and was really surprised by what you wrote.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Being realistic, the most likely scenario of Mayfield struggling is a Marcus Mariota like transition into taking snaps from under center. He'll have some cushion to learn but at the same time, neither he nor the team really benefits keeping him on the bench his rookie year if the Jets draft him. Short of Bridgewater coming out gang busters and simply outplaying Mayfield early on, the Jets will likely have to run a hybrid offense to account for the fact that Mayfield will need development in this regard.

Otherwise, he's the complete package.

stinkyB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seems they completely botched this one. I think people remember the Rosen ones because they are recent and kept him out of a Bowl game. Both him and Mayfield have had multiple concussions and Josh Allen broke his clavicle in seven spots (which he also fractured in high school). Darnold seems like the only one without some injury history.

I'm not sure whey they are so sold on the "Rosen is injury prone" narrative, but if it helps him fall to the Jets, I'm all for it.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

One Month away! Gut feeling says Josh Rosen ends up being the #3 pick to the Jets. If the Giants decide to draft him or trade the pick, then it will become interesting to see if the Jets go Allen or Mayfield, but I am not sure it will come to that now.