Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

You don’t need his draft board to see this. Teams don’t move up to take QB’s not of ideal size or arm strength. Allen’s physical ability is off the hook. That’s the type of player teams move up for. And that being said my preference are Rosen or Darnold but anyone who thinks they moved to 3 to take Mayfield is lost. People on here acting like Mayfield is their choice and ready to blow a fit when they pass on him sound like they know nothing about football.

legler82 likes this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

"He" meant Mayfield, not you. As in, you were making a suggestion that Mayfield was similar to Geno, including between the ears.

Also, I was on the Mahomes bandwagon last year the same way I'm on the Mayfield bandwagon now. I had many people tell me how retarded I was for thinking Mahomes was anything for more than a third rounder. Oh well, Andy Reid must be retarded as well.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nonsense. Allen has major accuracy issues and has problems reading Ds and processing. Mayfield's arm is almost as strong as Allen's, and is 100x more accurate. Mayfield is a proven great leader, creator/sustainer of plays. I think every GM in the NFL would sign up for potentially adding another Drew Brees to their team. If they wouldn't, then they're stupid. Allen doesn't even fit the Jets' offense.

Freddy Mondo, K'OB and JetLifeLo like this.
  4. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I know... :(

I just hate to miss out on Barkley, when I know deep down in my soul Teddy IS elite... if he's healthy.

Even worse, I can't stomach the thought of the FO bailing on Teddy and not signing him to a long term deal after an amazing year because of the investment in the drafted QB.

5. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

If teddy proves himself this year to be a FQB then we will pay him

This whole off season is about getting one. If it's teddy great. If it ends up being #3 great.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Please continue to enlighten us with your expertise.

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2012/5/24/3041376/the-shanahan-bates-offense-part-1-the-bootleg
    https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...nahan-bates-offense-part-2-two-tight-end-sets
    https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...fense-part-3-brandon-marshall-and-play-action

^ These three articles are a series that was done on Jeremy Bates when he signed on as the Bears offensive coordinator, talking about his work as the play call for the Broncos previously. Bates has been a disciple of both Mike Shanahan and Jon Gruden, and has carried forward with him a number of concepts learned under them. The TL;DR, as it relates to your post specifically, is in the titles of article 1 and article 3: bootleg passing, play-action. Both have been heavily featured by Bates system in the past.

When you consider what the Jets want, I have to imagine a component of that is fitting with the offensive system they run here, since I doubt they are bringing in the QB who will best suit their successors.

A few notes towards that end:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In terms of executing play-action, they are all capable of doing it. In fact, I've seen suggestions from a few places that Allen would be best served in an offense that would have him doing this a bunch. And while that might be the best path for HIM, that doesn't mean he's the best fit for doing it. He clearly, as we all know, has the arm for it:

[​IMG]

But, accuracy aside, he's not the most mobile:

[​IMG]

You're stating that wanting Mayfield shows that we're "lost". Well...

[​IMG]

You're certainly not getting that from Allen. Unlike Allen, who occasionally will deliver a beautiful strike, Mayfield is more consistently on time, on target, and hitting his receivers in stride:

[​IMG]

Mayfield's feet and field vision are always on point:

[​IMG]

Which you can't say the same for Allen...

[​IMG]

And then there is the issue of pre-snap reads, which Mayfield excels at and Allen does not...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mayfield has proven for four years as a starting QB that he not only is capable of doing what we need in this offense, but he also excels at it. Allen is a less than two year starter (due to injury) with a very spotty record. Allen has flashed a brilliant arm, there is no denying that. I can see why that is tantalizing from a potential perspective. But, to end this post, I will note that while Mayfield CLEARLY does not have the arm that Allen packs, his arm is good enough:

[​IMG]

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

outside of rosen, the general consensus among scouts is none of the other QBs are NFL ready. that's why we have mccown and teddy for this year

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that's my point. everything has changed. comparing trades before the "value chart" started isn't the same. the NFL has changed alot and is now a high stakes multi billion dollar business and very cut throat. you can't compare even the late 80s and early 90s to what the NFL is now.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

I haven't posted in a while but I'm excited about this trade up to #3.

Yes we gave up draft picks but if we strike gold, as a fan base, we could (one day) say that we've finally drafted our stud Franchise QB. To build a contender around.

Yes. We gave up draft picks. But if we traded up in order to draft a stud signal caller for the next decade of our lives... None of us will remember those 2nd round draft picks. Just as Philly fans couldn't care less. Because Wentz is a stud.

Sometimes as a starved Franchise (like Philly was and/or as NYJ's are) you've gotta gamble. You must take a chance. You've gotta pay the cost to land a premium. I approve this trade and respect Macc for showing balls.

Macc making this move in order to trade up goes to show me, that he understands the game of football. Or at least cares about having a Franchise QB.

But heading into the season Barkley was my dude. Created a thread heading into this past college season explaining why Barkley was the best talent in all of college football. I love him so much where if Darnold & Allen are gone 1-2; i then take Barkley #3 over Mayfield & Allen.

Call me insane but Barkley will be more than "just a RB". This kid will catch out of the backfield & become a complete game changer. M.Faulk type of potential imo. Grade A+ Dual-Threat. I loved Zeke, Fournette, Gurley and my dude from FSU Cook etc over the years but Barkley is on another level. A healthy Bridgewater & Barkley would be fun to watch.

With that said .Thnx the Football God's that I'm not our G.M because if so Barkley could very well be a Jet come pick #3 as a guaranteed weapon for "our next Franchise QB". Especially if both Rosen and Darnold are gone 1-2.

But i agree. We must go QB with the 3rd overall draft pick.

I personally want Sam Darnold. Out of fear. I feel as if Darnold has the strongest chance of not busting.

I love love love Rosen. But his concussion history is a red flag. Any NFL QB can suffer a head injury. Lots do. Any given Sunday. But Rosen is a college kid. To already have head trauma injuries. I'd worry he's one or two hits away from already hanging up his cleats. But he's a tremendous QB.

Mayfield is a winner. But I've seen many college winners before. At 6 I'd be o.k with Mayfield. But at 3 I'd be worried. Yes. He can extend plays. Hell of a talent. Has heart. I love his overall talent but i want a pocket passing Franchise QB at #3 with great size. Not a smaller QB in Mayfield from an Oklahoma spread offense who played against team's in a conference with swiss cheese defense(s). I'm scared of drafting Mayfield on an NFL level. And will he carry himself in a professional way both on & off the field?

And Josh Allen? 3rd overall? No thank you. Don't we already have a big kid with a rocket arm and questions about his accuracy in Hackenberg? And Josh Allen coming from a non-powerhouse school &/or playing against weaker competition? He's got all the physical tools but @ 3rd overall... I'd be worried.

I swear. If Darnold goes #1 & Saquon Barkley is there at #3? I TAKE the kid because no fkn chance he would've been there 6th overall to begin with. I want a Franchise QB too but i want a game changing offensive player to move forward with too. Rosen, Mayfield & Allen scare me @ #3.

Saquon could be Gold. Only QB i take over him is Sam Darnold. Call me crazy.

almbleamal and twown like this.
  11. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

i think they have a similar grade on at least 3 QBS tbh else they woudnt make this move i prefer Darnold , and im the most scared of Mayfield and Allen. Rosen is fine in my book.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

My concern is that maccagnan has ruled mayfield out leaving us to worry that the only qb left on the board when we pick is allen, he might have to trade up to 2. He is already all in on this so what the hell.

13. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I agree with you on trading up to 2 or to 1 because maybe the giants or browns didnt wanna move far down from top 5 so makes it a bit easier to trade up from 3 to 1 or to 2. There might be a chance we get darnold

14. Vida

Vida Active Member

Eagles probably never even get to the SB without Wentz, he had a MVP calibre season.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'll repeat only ONE guy of similar stature to Mayfield in the HISTORY of the draft has ever been picked in the 1st. That was Manziel and he almost fell completely out of the first. Yet these guys are trying to convince themselves that Mr. Safe Pick/Prototypical QB MacLovin, himself is going to do this trade up to pick Mayfield. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Now if Mayfield had rare arm talent like Mahomes, elite athleticism like Vick and/or put up those gaudy numbers in a more traditional offense, I could see a GM, probably still not Mac, pulling the trigger. But he doesn't. He is an above average arm, decent athlete guy with big production coming from offense and conference that gets big production from above average armed decent athletes who usually have much less talent around them. And oh yeah, he's also short with some character flags, albeit minor ones.

Let me end with this. It's completely fair and rational to think Mayfield will end up being better than Allen. I think the odds will be on your side if you do. Especially since I think Mayfield will likely get drafted later and end up in a better situation. The team that drafts Mayfield will have a plan and a coach/GM combo with some cache. Your run of the mill coach/GM combo aren't going to stick their necks out like that however. GMs do hate to miss on guys like Brees and Wilson, but they are absolutely terrified of being that guy that passed on the next Big Ben, Cam or Wentz. In the draft as in life size matters.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Fantastic post here. Not that we needed much more to show Mayfield is the better prospect than Allen currently, but this sure helped. That “feet and vision” gif of Allen, what in the hell is that?

NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Lmaoooo Josh Allen so sloppy and goofy he reminds me of Paxton Lynch but less mobile.

NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  18. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment that the chart must be updated.

Those 1st round picks are even more valuable due to the rookie wage scale, ESPECIALLY if you hit on a 1st round QB. He would be locked in for 5 years with the option and it would help to control your cap while building the rest of the team.

The 2nd rounders would also have an increased value, but i believe that their contracts are only 2-3 years.

Regardless, the goal is to land a starting (hopefully) top 7 QB, if we hit on that position, 3 2nd rounders will seem like a small price a few years down the road

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m nearly certain that Mac has a very good feeling that Rosen is not going in top two and is his top target. I think we all better get on board(I’m already there) that Rosen is gonna be the future QB for the Jets.

My big fear at this point is Mac doesn’t pat himself on the back for fixing the QB position and think the job is done. Picking Rosen is great but it’s gonna mean nothing if he doesn’t then build around him.

I do think the Mayfield fans, which I am a part of have to realize that’s not gonna happen. I do believe that Allen is the back up plan if something crazy happens and Rosen goes in top 2.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

IMHO it's going to be between Mayfield and Rosen..

I want Mayfield but I think they'll go with Rosen if both are available. And I cant be mad at that.

Us moving up to 3rd makes it too risky for Cleveland to not go QB #1. They're going to want THEIR GUY, esp. having the #1 pick. They wont want to settle for what's left. I believe after recouping that offense Darnold will be their pick.

Giants will then be left to either trade down (another QB gone), take Barkley (would be dumb of them but I wouldnt put it pass them), or take their QB of the future to replace a washed Eli Manning (smart thing to do).. and I think that would be Rosen.

Mac had to move up to #3 knowing that these are the possibilities... so I cant see how he doesn't view Baker Mayfield as a top 3 pick. There's not enough good tape on Allen out there for Mac to move up to 3 with intentions on taking him BEFORE he even checked the kids pro-day. Just being logical about this.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.