Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Nice. Judging by your avatar, I thought you were a carpenter. ;)
    He's been with them for awhile now.... started at JFK on the ramp, now works in LI City... and tries to send this plane to the opponents city the weekend of the game whenever he can :D

[​IMG]

#14561 stinkyB, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    BacktoQueens and Brook! like this.
  2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

FJF likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Seems like a good start to me. Also seems to be moving faster which may mean less mixing. Of course less snow too but...
    I guess we start doing radar checks in the morning. As usual I will be out in it tomorrow night so will try to give libe updates.

CBG likes this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Fjy its almost now cast time ----I am really worried about this being a bad ice storm , I am hoping that the models are having a hard time with the temps and that this storm is MORE East than West = if so many people will be in for a shock . What do u do Fjay, Highway ? can't believe I never asked before or maybe you did tell and Im just shot

5. FJF

Operations for an agency for autism. 24 hr campus. Have to keep the roads clear. Worked my way into essential personnel. Now trying to work my way past that to non essential personnel.

CBG likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

can't believe I never asked that before,,,,we all long to be " non essential personnel "

FJF likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Most of the models last night moved west n warmer = amazing how it appears that it does not want to snow this winter----lets see what this mornings guidance says as I'm starting to wonder if the NWS pulls down the winter storm warnings or at least lessens the amounts ? This can still be a bad ice storm for N n W but if the late night models verify whatever if anything falls from NYC South might quickly be washed away --> thoughts ?

FJF likes this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Lovely. :) No snow please. Thank you God. :)

CBG likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Looks like Big A is gonna have to wait on the next one. Not even putting salt out as the rain should wash all the snow away.

Brook! and CBG like this.
  10. FJF

Yup, more of a mess than enjoyable snow. Disappointing. Something on the horizon for next week though.

Brook! and CBG like this.
  11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I just heard up to 8" with a nasty mix of sleet and ice. Snow I like, ice not so much. I went to the super market yesterday for a few last minute things and it was a mob scene. It's practically a guarantee that I'll lose my electricity if it ices. I always do.

CBG likes this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I am still real worried about an Ice Storm and freezing rain especially N n W of NYC . IF IF IF the models have the track of this storm wrong and it is more east than west it changes things for a lot of people. Don't let your guard down Cman and Fjay = ICE is not our friend

Brook! likes this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

If the NWS changes their forecast after the early afternoon guidance that could be telling but right now they are sticking to their guns

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    National Weather Service New York NY
    948 AM EST Sat Jan 19 2019

Northern Fairfield-Western Passaic-Eastern Passaic-Western Bergen-
    Western Essex-Orange-Putnam-Rockland-Northern Westchester-

948 AM EST Sat Jan 19 2019

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow and
    sleet accumulations of 6 to 10 inches.
    The highest snow totals
    will be across Orange and Putnam counties. Ice accumulations
    of one tenth to one quarter of an inch are expected.

* WHERE...Portions of northeast New Jersey, interior southwest
    Connecticut and the lower Hudson Valley in New York.

* WHEN...Later this afternoon through 6 PM EST Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Hazardous travel is expected with roads
    becoming snow and ice covered. Gusty winds, snow, and ice
    accumulation may bring down tree limbs and power lines.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow, sleet
    and ice will make travel very hazardous or impossible.

Check local Department of Transportation information services for
    the latest road conditions.

FJF likes this.
  14. FJF

Bernie sticking to his snow map too.
    This is interesting.

CBG likes this.
  15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Fjay as for the NWS I think they cannot change the forecast YET as they have to want to see the afternoon guidance before they do that as I think there is still time. I just watched Bernie and agree he also sticking to his guns,,,,,the video was short for him and he did not go thru as much detail as usual but I agree with you " interesting " .

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I really would like to see dynamic snow maps that give the expected amount on the ground at any given time (same thing for ice). For this storm those are going to be very different as you move south and east from Sullivan, Ulster, and Dutchess counties, as it depends on whether the snow tonight (if there is any) turns into rain, freezing rain, or sleet. In Middletown the high temperature tomorrow morning is only supposed to be around 32, and that means the snow's not going anywhere. In Monroe (20 miles away) it's forecast to only get up to around 35, which might or might not lead to ice-covered snow. In Nanuet (25 miles away) it's forecast to get up to around 40, which will get rid of loads of potential snow. In Mt. Vernon (25 miles away) it's forecast to get up to close to 45, and that will wash away everything. In central/south Nassau County where I am it's not supposed to even go below 37 until the precipitation is over, so it would be all rain, which of course would make me very happy.

Looks like a classic nor'easter on Thursday, so that should be "interesting."

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The old man just came back from NYC after picking up his race pack (he's a crazy triathlete with crazy friends). It's the NY Road Runner's Club Fred Lebow Half Marathon Race in Central Park. Looks like NYC is going to be all rain tomorrow but everyone is bailing. The race starts at 8:00 a.m., so he was planning to leave here at 5:45 a.m., and I'm sure it would be fine, it's just the uncertainty of getting home in possible shitty conditions. He's on the fence. When he did one of numerous full Iron Man races in Lake Placid in 2008 (he's done 10 to date), the conditions were AWFUL. It wasn't raining, it was torrential and windy as hell. He wasn't cold at the end, he was core shivering, but you have to take into account it's a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike, and and a full marathon (26.2 miles). And that race is in JULY. He just said, "Eh, for a half-marathon, I just might blow it off, say fck it, prime the generator just in case, and watch football." <=== Yeah, that.

What's with the Thursday thing? Big storm predicted? I'll have to use a machete to get through Stop 'N Shop on Wednesday, I guess. :/

18. FJF

Snow started here. Very light. Should start going good soon if it’s going to .

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Already snowing but this one will change over. Central PA not in this one. I would say north to the NYS line is in play. Binghamton, Albany, Scranton PA, Port Jervis.

FJF likes this.
  20. FJF

Looks like you will turnaround 9