Jamal Adams would be a terrible pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Apr 20, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I feel pretty confident in Adams and Hooker. Watch some tape. I don't want any other defensive player at 6.

I won't take a qb at 6 because they aren't ready to start and have a lot of flaws.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

So do I as long as its offense lol. What we need more than anything is a head coach that can make an impact.

3. boozer32

Countdown CC only 4 more days.

4. boozer32

You're basing it on what? You can say that about the entire SEC. But you aren't watching football for the cumulative I.Q of these guys. Otherwise, Harvard versus Yale would rule.

5. 101GangGreen101

Bowles will get the year to see how he does, he's done decent with player development with the youngsters. Hopefully he improves, but Jets will have more then enough shots to get a good TE, offensive lineman and maybe even a qb in rounds 2 through 4. It won't be all offense, this isn't the draft to do it.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. boozer32

I can't wait for draft day. I think most people think this draft is deep in talent. With that said the Jets can go in a few directions and what could really set it off would be a trade with Cleveland.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed, but the problem is that the recent Jets team can't score points. The defense, as bad as you claim it is, is still way ahead of the offense.

I agree that picking Smith was a mistake, and said that at the time. But Sanchez's failure was more on the team than on him. He did allow them to get to 2 AFC championship games, but when they didn't replace the talent around him, and tehn Rex put him a meaningless preseason game in the 4th qtr and he got hurt, well, that's a great recipe for ruining a QB.

A for "value", I'll risk getting lambasted again and called a troll, but "Value" is in the eye of the beholder, and if Macc thinks one of these guys can be a FQB - and by that, that they could possibly win the job or at least start sometime this season - then they're worth the 6 pick.

I agree they need a safety way more than a CB, and I hope they get a good one, but not at the expense of taking their FQB if he's there.

And I'm not "crying" any more than any of the "Defense First" crowd is crying about taking Adams or Hooker or some other "D" guy. Nor am I advocating that they "reach" - if Macc thinks his FQB is there at 6 or 12 or wherever, I'll go with his judgment. I may not fully agree with what he does, but he has way more experience and data at his disposal than I do. I'm simply a fan hoping for a championship after almost 50 years.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

That we can both agree on sir. We got options! A trade with Cleveland could do wonders for the Jets as long as they get value and then some more.

Don't make the trade just to trade down, make sure you get as much as humanly possible. Make the Browns sweat into giving up a 2018 pick as well as their 12th and 33. Maybe we throw a player in to sweeten the deal.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

If the Jets get the 12 and 33, I would love for the 33 to be packaged for a 2018 first rounder.

10. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The Jets drafted Pryor thinking he could play either safety position in the pros despite playing exclusively in the box in college.

Same thing with Adams. Why draft a guy at 6 who plays the same position as a guy drafted only three seasons ago?

I'm sure Adams is better than Pryor, but I just don't think that upgrade is worth a premium draft slot.

11. boozer32

I agree

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You don't not pick a player because another player failed previously. If the guy is the best pick available, select him, and don't look back. Pryor probably won't be here much longer anyway.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's one factor to consider but certainly not the most important or the only factor. To begin with, I'm not certain that the Jets drafted Pryor thinking he could play either safety position. I never read or heard one word to that extent, but even if they did, that was Idzik and the old scouting dept. Pryor has had one good season and two mediocre ones. That has to be considered. The Jets may not be happy with his attitude, play or work ethic, and may be planning to move on from him. In that scenario, one certainly doesn't not take a great SS prospect simply because they already have a "guy" at the position. The Jets may also think that they can take Adams, play him at FS for a season or two and see if he can light a fire under Pryor. If so, then they may try to trade one of them, or if not, then they would trade Pryor for whatever they could get or cut him, and move Adams to SS. Adams can cover, something Pryor can't do. Adams is a sound tackler and takes good angles. He doesn't just try to deliver the big hit and throw a shoulder at opposing ball carriers. Adams is a leader and would help change the attitude and play of the entire D.

Now if the Jets like Pryor and plan on keeping him, then I agree that it wouldn't be the best use of the pick to take Adams, as I think his better position is SS rather than FS. If the Jets plan to keep Pryor, then Hooker, Fournette or Howard would be a better choice.

I don't think Adams will fall to the Jets. Even if he does, the Jets might trade down if they can find a trade partner, take Fournette, Howard, Hooker, or one of the QBs. One thing I do think is for certain, if the Jets take Adams, I think Pryor is a goner. I don't think he has the right attitude, work ethic or half the talent that Adams has, and he certainly isn't a leader.

14. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Trubiskey?

15. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

The Jets are going to try and trade down. If they can move to 10-11-12-13 and pick up an extra 2nd rounder (and possibly some change, depending on the position of said second-rounder) that's the way to go. If they don't get a good offer, l hope they take Adams if he's on the board unless they truly, deeply believe in one of the QBs. I also think the chances of him making it to us are minimal, and would not be surprised at all to see him in San Franciso at #2.

To people talking about Calvin Pryor and how we actually are ok at Safety - I don't think they realize how horrific he was last season.

Adams is to me:

1) The safest pick / highest floor in the draft next to Garrett. I really do think he's a perennial pro-bowler.
    2) Adams plays at a position-group of need, with far better coverage skills, angle instincts - and Adams' tackling ability might be the best in this entire draft class. Guy has incredible form. Hits hard too, but he doesn't sacrifice stopping the yardage gain to showboat.
    3) High-character player and natural leader.

The Jets' problem isn't that they've drafted too many defensive players, it's that they've missed on too many draft picks. While the curse of our second-rounders is known, we've busted on plenty of firsts as well. If we can't get decent value in the first in a trade down, Adams is a fantastic choice if he's on the board.

#75 wampa, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

If he is there at #6, he almost certainly has to be the pick.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree, but think you mean the highest floor.

18. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I did. Editting it.

19. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

I haven't read one post in this thread, but if anyone is saying Adams is a box safety please see the breakdown according to PFF

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  20. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

How do you feel about this pick @JethroTull?

He'll change your mind pretty quickly ;)

TonyFtLaud likes this.