Jags @ Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Sep 25, 2017.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If the Jets can stuff the run, they should win.
    That will be the key imo..

Short week on the road coming from London is rough for Jax.
    Also Marrone sucks.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

wilkerson questionable (shoulder), forte out (turf toe)

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Jags remind me of the Rams from a few years back-- remember there were about 4 years' worth of off-seasons there when the Rams were everybody's favorite sleeper. They had a monster D-line (Long, Quinn, Simms, Hayes, Little, Robbins, Hall, Brockers were all pretty dang good), that, unlike the Jets' paper monster D-line, could actually get after the QB. The problem was that they were only really good against teams that couldn't run the ball and couldn't get WRs open quickly. So they lost a lot. When they won, they got a lot of sacks, though.

The Jags are the same way--against the teams they can make one-dimensional, they can run them over. Against teams that can get the ball out of the QB's hands, they'll get destroyed.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

The Jags voluntarily choose not to have a bye. Probably thought they didn’t need the rest for the Jets.

The Dark Knight and Jets69 like this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

We should get a good look at Elijah McGuire, you would think. He's looked good in limited action since the pre-season. Forte's got one foot out the door already towards a broadcasting career, so hopefully McGuire can take some snaps away from him this season and impress to boot.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

As a fantasy owner of powell i'd like to see him take a bulk share. with that said i like eli a lot so far but he did have a bad fumble last game

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, Powell gets the start and the bulk, but it's a good opportunity for McGuire. McGuire let his guard down in garbage time. It's just one fumble, let's see what he can do.

Red Menace and GasedAndConfused like this.
  8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Oh, hey, if any season ticket holders are actually protesting going to games, I'll take your tickets.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Side note: someone really needs to update the StubHub website's description of the Jets. I almost cried laughing reading this:

"New York Jets Tickets
    The New York Jets are ready to contend for the postseason, as they hit the gridiron for a bevy of intriguing matchups with some of the top teams in the National Football League. The Jets have a lot of talent, and they came very close to reaching the playoffs last year. A home game against the New England Patriots could go a long way in figuring where the Jets finish in the AFC East ranks this season. New England is one of the best clubs in the conference, and the Jets could make a major statement by taking them down. Slowing down Tom Brady is never an easy task, but this Todd Bowles defense never backs down from a challenge."

(https://www.stubhub.com/new-york-jets-tickets/performer/6143/)

CBG, Jets69 and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

New York Jets Tickets
    The New York Jets are ready to contend for the first overall pick, as they have hit the gridiron. There will be a bevy of intriguing matchups because every opponent will seem like a top team by comparison. According to fan forums the Jets have a lot of talent despite nobody else agreeing with them. A home game against the New England Patriots could be a long day where they finish the Jets. New England is one of the best clubs in the conference (again), and the Jets could ruin their draft position by taking them down. Slowing down Tom Brady is never an easy task, but this Todd Bowles defense has a new trick up its sleeve: Darron Lee at nosetackle.

#70 HomeoftheJets, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    stinkyB, FJF, Big Cat and 1 other person like this.
  11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

A little perspective on what is happening tomorrow - Josh McCown will be trying to win back-to-back games as a starter for the first time since November 14, 2004. He was on the Cardinals then, and they beat the Giants 17-14. The Giants were so horrified by this that they benched their starting quarterback, despite being a game over .500, and started a rookie named ... Eli Manning. 214 straight games later (regular season and playoffs) he's still there. Meanwhile, over the same time frame McCown has started 51 games, and won 14 of them total.

Red Menace, Jets69 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. JagsFan97

JagsFan97 New Member

Hi Jets fans. Thanks for being better than Titans fans who trolled the Jaguars board were two weeks ago.

I agree New York's defense needs to force Blake Bortles to pass. Of course, that is easier said than done. Leonard Fournette is the real deal - capable of running both outside and between the tackles and catching the ball in the backfield. I'm not sure how good your run defense is, but it needs to be at its best to stop #27.

Don't underrate Allen Hurns and Marqise Lee. They are legitimate starters. With Allen Robinson, Hurns had over 1,000 yards in 2015. Lee had his breakout season last year after a long string of injuries, earning the starting job. Blake Bortles is mobile in the pocket and able to evade near sacks - see one play against the Ravens last week. From a talent perspective, he is better than all three of your guys.

On defense, statistics don't do them justice. The defensive line now has the official nickname Sacksonville but it is not just about sacks. Josh McCown will look like a deer in the headlights. People are not calling Jalen Ramsey the next Darrelle Revis, but QBs have been throwing away from him every week. McCown's best bet is Tashaun Gipson, who is on the injury report.

BTW the reason we chose to play in Week 4 is Week 8 is a much better time to take a break.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Good comparison. The Jags have better offensive weapons on the outside though and a better runningback in Fournette (at least so far). Bortles still has the potential to be good. He's a year and a half removed from a 35 touchdown season. A lot of that was in garbage time of games they got blown out, but he does have skills.

If the Jags don't turn the ball over I think it'll be a relatively easy win for them. I don't see our offense moving the ball well.

This will be a good test for Morton and I'll be able to see if what I said was true in the other thread of him. Can he continue to get receivers open via the scheme and play calling? Our receivers will not be able to get open on their own against those corners. Jalen Ramsey is an absolute stud. AJ Bouye is as well and was really good for the Texans last year.

Could be a long day. But if the Jags turn the ball over, it'll be a much more even matchup for us.

15. JagsFan97

JagsFan97 New Member

Have you ever read Jaguars game box scores? The Jaguars usually lost close games in 2015. I don't know why Blake Bortles played better from behind in his first three seasons, but now he plays better with a lead because Doug Marrone changed the offense to a run-first scheme.

It is unlikely your receivers will get open much. Former Steelers CB Ike Taylor regularly ranks Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye as a top three CB duo, with each player alone in the top 10. That is reality, not hype.

16. JagsFan97

JagsFan97 New Member

BTW you can't trash talk at the official Jaguars website. That message board was shut down this spring.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

I gave credit to your cornerbacks being excellent cover men. Not sure why you're reading as if I didn't. Our offensive coordinator has done a good job this year in designing plays to get the receivers open so that they don't have to win their individual matchups. I expect that to continue tomorrow as we will lose all of those matchups if we're going to try to straight up force the receivers to get open one on one vs. Ramsey and Bouye.

I do see a lot of close games on the 2015 schedule, but how many of those games were 2 possession games with a touchdown coming late to make it look closer than it actually was? Most quarterbacks play better when down by a couple scores late in the game because the defense softens up so that they do not give up big plays.

Gen completed 60% of his passes with 29 touchdowns to 16 picks when trailing in 2015. 6 touchdowns to 2 interceptions on around 54% when leading or tied. Granted it's tough to compare since they were trailing most of the season and it's a poor sample size.

He also threw 11 of those touchdowns to only 4 interceptions on around 63% completion percentage when trailing with 2 or 4 minutes to go. He only threw 3 other touchdowns and 4 other interceptions in the 4th quarter that were not in those scenarios.

He only lead 4 game winning drives. I can't find whether those game winning drives were the results were touchdowns or field goals. It's only possible that he could've thrown 4 of those touchdowns with 2 or 4 minutes left that could've actually mattered.

So it's safe to say his stats were padded when trailing, brotha.

I also don't foresee a lot of Jets fans seeking out other team's message boards to talk trash this year. We're a bad team and we know it. At most, maybe throw a couple jabs at the Bills or Dolphins and probably only following a win like last week.

If you want to come here to talk football let's do it. Outside of that, you'll just be wasting your time trolling a fan base that fully expects to see our team win at most 3-4 games. You won't find much combativeness, and will make yourself look like a jagaloon (no pun intended) if you're going for the classic trash talk angle.

#77 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  18. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

If the Jets actually go 2-2 how funny will that be? They purge their players and actually get better. Go Jets!

I know many of you find it strange that a Pats fan can actually be routing for the Jets. But why not? Besides when the Pats eventually start tanking I am going to need an NFL team to route for.

Go Jets!

19. Jonathan_Vilma

You're such a whack troll. Real trolls would be disappointed. That is all.

20. JagsFan97

JagsFan97 New Member

JV, I have seen games like that. I have also seen the opposite: offense comes out with a bang and falls asleep after halftime. But some games I've watched were close the whole way and decided by a kicker's foot or bad officiating.

I thought someone else was badly underrating Jalen Ramsey, not you.

Patriot, do you hate the Jaguars? I can't think of any other reason to root for the Jets.