It's not McCown, but...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Oct 29, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm thinking 1 more loss and Bowles potentially makes a switch, especially if it's another 4th QTR collapse.

But the FQB isn't on the roster just yet.

FJF and Cman68 like this.
  2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

No way he does that with just 6 losses IMO, he's going to wait till we're mathematically eliminated from Playoff contention to bench McCown. Hell, for all we know, he may just ride McCown till the end because he is the best chance Jets have to win a ball game. It's clear that Bowles doesn't think much of Petty or Hackenberg and with his job on the line I don't see why Bowles would feel it necessary to put himself at risk of not winning another game.

westiedog1 and Cman68 like this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think that assessment is off-base. This team has shown the ability to produce a bit offensively and make some big plays. It's not that they need a spark; they've been in position to win the last 3 games and blew them all...

McCown has made some big mistakes and shown us why he's never been more than a journeyman QB, but let's give some due credit here: he's overall been quite good this year and he's earned this QB job.

HOWEVER, this team is 3-5 and even if the coaching staff and team believe they can win and make playoffs, this team is now on a losing streak and could very well be 3-7 at the bye week. If this happens, even those with the illusions/delusions of this team being competitive need to come to reality and get an extended look at the two QBs they drafted. That extra week would give Petty more time to prepare. I'd do it at 4-6, but understand it would be a near impossible sell if they happened to be 5-5 at the break. If Petty (or Hack, I guess) crashes and burns, then better for a draft pick and serves the FO right for making those draft picks.

I've been reasonably expecting McCown to falter or get hurt, but he's been really good. I was quite sure an opportunity for Petty would present itself easier than this, but wow it really hasn't.

4. 101GangGreen101

McCown has had 3 straight 4th QTR collapses, a lot of those being on him. Another collapse and Bowles might think differently.

Also at this stage, I don't think Bowles is coaching for his job. He's earned another year. Petty or Hack aren't long-term options.

FJF likes this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Start Petty to get him some experience. He looks like a career backup at this point.

6. grkmanga31

Has he though? Because I don't think so. His shortcomings from his rookie season are still alive and well in his third year with no end in site. The reality is this and I think this is the question Jets ownership has to ask itself, "Do you trust Bowles to nurture a rookie QB to be the FQB?" Because ultimately, Macc is going to have to draft a QB high, or chase after Kirk Cousins.

7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It's time to start Deshaun Watson already! They drafted him in the first round, he's an NFL ready QB and he's a real leader in the huddle. Oh wait. Never mind....

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

All coaches have shortcomings. It's clear as day, Bowles has improved as a head coach. The culture has been re-created and I think Bowles has done an excellent job in terms of developing chemistry and keeping this team together. Jets aren't a good team and as I said before the season started, it's hard to win as a young team in the NFL. Mistakes will be made, but you hope they will learn from them. This team wasn't winning due to it's talent. It was cohesiveness. Switching coaches now wouldn't be in our best interest, and the Jets need to continue and implement this current system.

I believe Bowles will give the young guy all of the opportunity in the world but he must show up in practice. After reflecting on the off-season, Bowles handled the QB position correctly. He gave Hack and Petty a shot and they just weren't impressive.

FJF and westiedog1 like this.
  9. grkmanga31

I will admit that Bowles has turned around the chemistry because last season the team was cancerous and there was a ton of division. But what about his other short comings? We had a timeout to spare against the Falcons late 2nd quarter and the Falcons kicker was going to kick a FG. Bowles could have iced the kicker, in bad weather, no dome advantage, instead Bowles doesn't. His time out usage is bad, he hasn't given ArDarius Stewart more reps, which is terrible given he was a 3rd round pick. Hansen is on the bench rotting away. I get it sometimes rookies need time to learn the playbook but sometimes you gotta let them play. Nothing beats game time experience.

I also think he doesn't do that great of a job adjusting mid game.

I think he's a middling HC, who has the team unified and playing hard, but I can't ignore his shortcomings. And like I said, what happens if Jets draft a QB in the first round? Do we trust him to bring him along? I am uncomfortable with that

10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

The cold truth is our Jets have been going nowhere as a franchise with Fitzpatrick and McCown starting at quarterback. We're becoming the Journeyman Jets! Mac drafts Petty and Hackenberg and neither qb sniffs the field in the regular season outside of a few starts by Petty last season. Christian Hackenberg was a 2nd round pick in 2016 and he's yet to start a regular season game. That alone is a fireable offense. Now compound that whiff with passing on Deshaun Watson for a safety, who's getting outplayed by your 2nd round safety. HIT THE BRICKS MAC! The few bright spots we have are coming on offense from undrafted Robby Anderson (LUCK) and waiver claim Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. Bottom f-ing line, I don't trust Mac or Bowles at all. I want them both gone, and before Christmas.

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

They should have drafted Watson. I was really hoping for Watson on draft day. At least the Jets have Hackenberg waiting in the wings. LOL! I joke about it, but I really hope that Hackenberg becomes a star for the Jets. It doesn't look good though.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

Why would you ice the kicker late in the 2nd QTR? You usually do that at the end of games. His timeout usage is questionable, I agree with that so that's 1 of your shortcomings is game management just like the majority of other coaches in this league. If you aren't a fan of how the offensive players are doing, I think that needs to be an issue with Morton. Morton has been very inconsistent in terms of player usage. Hansen, was active yesterday BTW. Morton has been getting schooled in terms of half time adjustments, but again this is a young coaching staff as well.

If we can get Bowles a QB prospect worth a damn, I see him just like a Ron Rivera type coach who is pretty decent in this league. I do think Bowles can get the job done.

FJF likes this.
  13. grkmanga31

Why not? You have a time out to give? It's not like the timeout is carrying over in the the 3rd and 4th quarter. And yes I saw Hansen was playing but where has he been this entire season. And again, I know he's a rookie but he's not gonna learn sitting on the bench. Morton deserves blame too, his playcalling gets ultra conservative sometimes

14. 101GangGreen101

Sounds like you got more of a problem with Morton then Bowles right now. Morton still very green.

15. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Only way there is a chance Bowles plays Hackenberg is if McCown and Petty are on IR...knowing the Jets they would probably try to pick up another journeyman qb with Hack backing him up.

16. grkmanga31

I like what Morton has done and I happen to think he's been a pretty good OC thus far. He curls up into a ball later in games and I'm unsure if that's due to himself, or Bowles instructing him to reign it in a bit and conserve the lead. I don't know because it's hard to tell unless we somehow figured out whether Bowles instructs him how to play call.

17. 101GangGreen101

I don't think that's on Bowles at all, and Bowles has shown to be aggressive this year. Bowles wants the Jets to develop a killer instinct. So I don't think that's on Bowles at all, that's on the playcalls.

Both must work together better and develop better 2nd half tactics.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm giving McCown one more loss. No reason to throw one of the kids against Buffalo. Once they lose, they'll be 3-6 with virtually no shot at the playoffs. The offense is young, they wont throw in the towel at 3-6.

Make the change, see what Petty can do. See if he can do better with the same supporting cast McCown has done pretty good with. If Petty bombs, go to Hack. If Hack bombs, Mac knows what he needs.

I actually like the decision to give McCown some games. We now know what the team has with extremely average QB play. If Petty comes out and lays an egg, its more than likely on him, as we've seen the pass blocking has been pretty good with McCown under center.

fggrimes and Cman68 like this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It's funny because before the season it was "OMG there's no veteran WR's on the roster!" after marshall and Decker were taken off. And fans were worried about starting a bunch of 1st year and rookie and unproven talent. Then in a flinch, Kearse and Kerley were added, giving the Jets some veteran and reliable pass catchers. Now it's "OMG why can't the rookies get any burn!" ...Like Kearse has been solid and Kerley has been one of the better slot guys this year. You can't have it both ways. I think they do like both Stewart and Hansen...They've tried sparingly to get Stewart the ball in quick passes but they need to do better in that department. I think Hansen has been active every game as well. Their time will come, especially if Kerley misses time. Anderson is beginning to show he can beat any corner down field and he needs to be utilized more

20. grkmanga31

You're right about Hansen but his snap count is so low that it's almost as if he's a healthy scratch. Kerley is solid but it's funny as you said that we all thought we were going to see a lot of the younger WR's get a bunch of game time just to see Macc sign Kearse and Kerley and they be overlooked. Hansen was a healthy scratch week 3, the other 7 games he's been active. He has a total of 43 snaps on offense and 17 on special teams. So 7.87% of all O snaps, and 2.53% of all special teams snaps.

Stewart has gotten 21.30% of all O snaps, and 24.75% of all ST snaps.