It Finally Feels Like We're Getting it Right

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Aug 15, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Agreed, I wanted Mahomes so badly. Taking him could've opened up so many possibilities in this year's draft and there would've been no need to give up three 2nd round picks. But what's done is done and if Macc successfully builds around Darnold and upgrades the pass rush, I'll take back every negative thing I've said about Macc. Especially if we win a Lombardi Trophy in the next few years. :D

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Mac takes 3 steps forward and at least 2 back..I give him a semi pass because he is appeasing that fool Bowles as Westie ran down all his draft choices ..what is it 95 percent defense??

I bet if he had real GM power instead of being emasculated by the Johnsons Toilet would be history

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hopefully after Bowles and Kacy continue to screw up the coaching in game and with the grocery bag of talent MM bought them the Owners will finally see the light

Next Coach has to be An Offensive Guru..I would prefer someone with experience but a young guy with something to prove from college might be good too

CBG likes this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Maccagnan stinks as a GM. He drafts Lee and Hack 1 and 2 in 2016??? Devin Smith 2nd round in 2015 ? Mauldin 3rd round? a grand total of TWO (?????????) offensive lineman, both in round 5, out of 28 picks in 4 years??????????
    In 2017 he drafts 4, count them 4, DBs and 3 receivers (one draft) ???????
    Right now, 2018, the jets have a ton of above average DBs and WRs and TEs, , but squat, and I mean zero, for a pass rush and offensive line.
    Maccagnan has done nothing to address OL or pass rush in 4 drafts!! Dumb shit!

CBG likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

somebody....

6. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

maybe some posters were right after all: removing woody in favor of his brother was a break! trump may have done us a solid.

westiedog1 and NY Jets68 like this.
  7. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

if you think that, why not promote the current offensive coordinator? neither of the shanahans are available or as young as you want.
    if bates deos a great job with josh/sam/teddy, why not pick the guy already in house?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can totally understand that. There have been moves and non-moves that I haven't been happy with. I think he could have done a lot more to address the OL. I loved Mahomes last year and Mac didn't take him. Still, I think he has done far more good than bad.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

IMO Good Post

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

It's clear he has a plan, I just haven't agreed with all aspects of it. Nevertheless, now that we have our QB, I want to see him continue to carry out his mission. I'm not so down on him about the OL. First, there wasn't that much he could do in FA, and second, I don't think this OL is as bad as some seem to think. However, now that the QB issue is settled, a top LT draft prospect would go a long way to helping the line.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Interestingly enough, regarding some earlier posts...according to reports, Maccagnan tried to sell the farm to get up to #2 to take Mariota. Obviously he needed cooperation from the other side to make things work out. Sometimes deals don't get done or the targeted team is set to take a player in that spot.

Can't argue with the ugly miss on Hackenberg.

Another interesting tidbit; the 2015 draft produced 14 pro-bowlers to date. This equates to 5.5% of players drafted. Rounds 3 and 5 have more pro-bowlers than round 2.

2012 - 12.6% (4 OL)
    2013 - 10.2% (5 OL)
    2014 - 8.2% (3 OL)
    2015 - 5.5% (1 OL)
    2016 - 5.9% (0 OL)
    2017 - 1.7% (0 OL)

Mac is on record saying he finds mid round OL selections to be the best bargains in the draft. Looking at history back to 2012, David Bakhtiari (2013) is the only mid-round selection who has made the pro-bowl. I understand pro-bowl does not equate to "bargain" but I am using this is a talking point.

92.3% of pro-bowl lineman (since 2012) were taken in rounds 1-3.

Therefore, it seems Mac needs to adopt a new strategy.

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Also, I have to add, the data reads as though it seems to take 3-4 seasons for OL to reach their full potential. So even if we take prospects, it's going to take a while to develop them.

13. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

I haven't posted in a while... just too pissed at the direction of this team. Unfortunately, after another year, it's clear the team is still being managed by a mediocre GM at best and a piss poor head coach that insists on a conservative offense and still can't get a defense (supposedly his specialty) into the top half f the league.

Here's hoping that changes this season but I just can't see this coach suddenly changing philosophy. "Let's just keep it close and hope to win in the 4th..." oh yeah... we were the WORST 4t qtr team in the league last season. What a dope.

tomdeb likes this.
  14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

You sure about that?

15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

To be fair, Andy Reid is a genius. When was the last QB to not play good under him? And as far as Macc goes, he has proven to be incapable of drafting players outside of the top 1st picks that everyone knows is going to be good that fall to him. I would prefer and hopefully a different GM is here to build around darnold

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Sadly, I could not have been more wrong with this thread.

17. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

it happens to all of us

18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

You still feeling we getting it right after last evening? This is Deja vie - repeat of 2017 team - under this coaching staff and lack of talent on the OL.