Is Sam currently better than McCown and should we sit him until the bye?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Oct 22, 2018.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Are we starting out best available QB? I know developing Sam is important but he already has 7 starts under his belt, which is a good taste of the NFL. Chicago could potentially be brutal. Should we sit Sam and take the pressure off him so he can learn from the sidelines for a couple weeks? McCown can tell him everything bit sometimes watching it happen is much more valuable.

In my opinion it would be a wise move. McCown has shown he can produce with our limited weapons. It might even make us more competitive.

Should we go with McCown against Chicago? Why or why not?

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No. This year is about setting up for the future. McCown isn't going to lead this team to anywhere as evident from last year.

Frenbar, macbk, NYJFOREVER and 8 others like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Is Darnold better than McCown? Maybe, maybe not. Remember McCown is usually much worse than he was last year.

Should Darnold sit? No. This is his team now, we don't sit him. And have a little faith too.

LAJet, Pepsiguy5, rohirrim665 and 2 others like this.
  4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

For fucks sake

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The Jets aren’t going to make the playoffs this season (unless a light goes on for Darnold overnight)

This season isn’t about wins and losses, it’s about Darnold improving.

Benching him would make this year a complete failure.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You suppose that starting every game is the only way to develop Sam? He is under so much pressure as the starter that learning is likely being hindered and development can be stilted.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Geez you'd think I just suggested we move the Jets to Portland. I'm simply suggesting easing up the pressure on a young rookie who needs to learn a lot still and allowing him time in the NFL to learn and breathe.

Aewhistory likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think his development is being stilted. He's not getting sacked at an alarming rate. A player like Darnold, he learns from his mistakes. This off-season he will have a seasons worth of film to digest and correct mistakes. Go into next year with added talent and he should take the next step. No better way to learn about the game, then to play the actual game.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Seems like a pretty bad idea.

I get he's no Tom Brady right now, but its not like he's Bryce Petty/Nathan Peterman bad. He's shown some incredible flashes, and made some pretty bad mistakes.

I would say benching him would hinder his development more than it would help it.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It was probably for the fact it is another thread about Darnald and this question could have gone in any of the others :)

ffs :cool:

FJF likes this.
  11. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning went 3-13 his first year. We got to see what Sam has. Putting McCown in does nothing for the team.

12. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

If McCown is better right now, and that's a big if, it's only by a hair. You dont take away valuable reps from your future to play a QB who is only a hair better.

In other words, if the Jets aren't a playoff team with Darnold, they also won't be a playoff team with McCown.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There is no "right way". Learning isn't necessarily linear. Inconsistency may well be part of the learning process. He doesn't seem frazzled or overly frustrated. He gets to review tape of himself under different circumstances. They team had a nice TD drive yesterday. There's plenty of positive to build on. When that stops and he's risking his health that's when you consider a move. I don't see it yet.

Harpua, twown and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

It's the 2019 preseason. Why wouldn't we be starting Darnold? He's got to take his lumps now so he'll be better when the team talent is competitive with the rest of the league.

Listen, I feel the sentiment. I'd love for the Jets to win every game. But I'm not willing to exchange sustainable success for wins this season.

Let's play a game and say that McCown started. Even if this squad made it into the second WC slot. The Chargers would feast on the AFC South winner, while we'd square off against the North winner (Cinci or Pitt). Let's say that there's some miracle and the Jets get revenge for Doug Brien, winning at Heinz field with a FG in OT. Then we'd move onto KC. There's absolutely no chance that this Jets team would win. It would be like watching the Chefs play fourth dimensional chess while the Jets eat checker pieces. Result, the Jets have a higher pick, no Superbowl win, and they'd be led by an under experienced rookie next year. Think I'll pass on that.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

but would they be those foil wrapped chocolate checker pieces? That wouldnt be so bad.... unless Leonard Williams had too many

16. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The answer to the fist question in the title is "who cares?" and the answer to the second question in the title is "No"

FJF likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Who the fuck hasn’t seen enough of McCown by this point? Sam is practically the only reason to watch now.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If you polled me Pre Season I would say yes to McGown since I believed we needed to ease this kid in full frontal NFL

But now..taking him out would hurt psychologically

jetstopgun likes this.
  19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Let me ask you a question:

Do you honestly believe that taking a 21 year old out of the starting role after starting 7 games with a 3-4 record would benefit his growth?

Do me a favor, take a breath and think about that. Did you think about it?

If you did, you'd realize how stupid that question is and why it should be labeled as a "rhetorical" one. Sam Darnold was chosen to be the starter 7 weeks ago. This argument was had 7 damn weeks ago. Whether you believe he should have sat or not, it's done. He's been playing for 7 weeks now. He has had continuous growth week after week and has had some setbacks, which is completely understandable being he is a 21 year old rookie.

For fucks sake is my best response. You should have posted this 7 weeks ago. Oh wait, this was posted 7 weeks ago. And it was discussed ad-nauseum.

Ralebird and K'OB like this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are you implying he is FAT ?

;)

NoodleArm likes this.