Interesting Wilkerson Quote

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Umphpool, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

-"You’ve got fans screaming negative things towards us. That’s not going to build us up. That’s only going to break us down,” defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson said. "

-“We’ve got to keep that out of our minds and stick together. But if they want to be all in, then they’ve got to be all in with us as well when it’s bad and when it’s good.”

http://nypost.com/2014/09/29/its-ugly-and-rex-ryan-is-in-trouble/ (Heres the Article as well)

Jets offensive guard Willie Colon stood in front of his locker following the Jets’ third straight defeat and summed up the state of the season in two words: “It’s ugly.”

Actually, that might be understating things a bit.

A 24-17 loss to the Lions Sunday afternoon at MetLife Stadium dropped the Jets to 1-3 and put Rex Ryan’s status as head coach on the clock. If this game was a referendum on his ability to coach, motivate and lead his team to a much-needed victory then he failed as much as his players.

Instead of evening their record at .500, the Jets find themselves in a haze of uncertainty heading into a brutal stretch of their schedule with games against the Chargers, Broncos and Patriots. What should have been a confidence builder has left the Jets on the verge of collapse. The problems; where do we start?

A quarterback controversy is now raging after Geno Smith committed two more turnovers, prompting the home fans to chant: “We want Vick.” Ryan insisted he gave no thought to replacing Smith with Michael Vick during the game — “I thought we were going to get it done with Geno,” he said — but calls for Vick should intensify. “Whenever the time comes, if it comes, I just have to be ready,” Vick said.

Meanwhile, Smith’s teammates came to his defense by ripping their fans for booing. Fans can be fickle, but the Jets aren’t helping themselves by snapping back.

“You’ve got fans screaming negative things towards us. That’s not going to build us up. That’s only going to break us down,” defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson said. “We’ve got to keep that out of our minds and stick together. But if they want to be all in, then they’ve got to be all in with us as well when it’s bad and when it’s good.”

Perhaps more troubling is a defense that continues to fold in the clutch. The Jets had all the momentum after Eric Decker caught an 11-yard touchdown to cut Detroit’s lead to 17-10 in the third quarter. But the Lions regained control with a marathon 14-play, 90-yard drive through the gut of Ryan’s defense by converting three third-down situations. It was similar to the long drives the Jets yielded in losses to the Packers and Bears.

“We didn’t make any plays,” linebacker Calvin Pace said . “Somebody’s got to make a play and nobody did.”

Truth is, there wasn’t a moment in the game where it felt like the Jets were the better team. Their opening drive covered 71 yards on 14 plays but netted only a field goal. The next five possessions ended in three-and-out, setting a tone of inconsistency that ultimately cost them the game.

“Guys are making a lot of good plays,” Ryan said. “Unfortunately, they’re not making the big plays.”

All of this reflects poorly on Ryan, who talked all week about how well his team practiced. But the Jets didn’t respond like winners. They lost their second straight game at home; the quarterback cussed at the fans; the defense didn’t hold up and they now face Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in succession. If the Jets haven’t already dug a deep enough hole for themselves, it could be a crater by the time Halloween approaches.

“The way it’s going to change, it’s going to take everyone in that room,” Ryan said. “We know it’s a united group. We’re going to fight to stick together and fight our way out. We know it’s not easy, but that’s the only way we know how to do it and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Ryan was a lame-duck coach when the season began needing a winning season and perhaps a playoff berth to keep his job. But at 1-3, it’s getting ugly for everyone.

2. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

-“We’ve got to keep that out of our minds and stick together. But if they want to be all in, then they’ve got to be all in with us as well when it’s bad and when it’s good.”

When has it been good, Mo?

TNJet, Jets69 and NJBeliever like this.
  3. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

Not sure what he was expecting to hear but that's kind of how it works. Just be a pro and ignore it.

4. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

In his eyes the 10 seconds after a sack and then after the 3rd down conversion it goes down hill lol

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Non-story. They're pros and getting paid millions to be in the public spotlight. Move on.

Jets69 likes this.
  6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

These players need to realize that they need to EARN the fan's allegiance and not expect blind loyalty.
    These guy's get paid a ton of money to play a game and they need to realize that nothing in life is promised.
    If I'm Mo Wilk, or any Jets player for that matter I'm saying it like it is.
    "Of course the fan's are boing, we are giving them no choice but to feel that way".
    This could get ugly real quick if these whiny little rich bitches, players and ownership included, don't realize that we as fan's break our asses to afford to sit in those seats and pay ridiculous $ for PSL's .
    We are the one's that deserve better from them, not the other way around.

RochesterJet and Skicats like this.
  7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Agreed with Wilkerson. Them going far, far away from negative Metlife might be a blessing in disguise, even if its vs a really good Chargers team that has much more talent all around than the Jets. They can bond together and play with chips on their shoulder to play for their lives and not play where its a boo per bad play basis at Metlife.

KerleyFries and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I've argued for years that, from the perspective of a die-hard fan, booing makes no sense at all. If you want to encourage someone to perform well, you don't boo them at every sign of trouble. Having said that, fans pay their hard-earned money to go to the game, and as a result (especially with the outrageous ticket prices being what they are), they are allowed to boo as much as they want. Modern professional athletes are making millions of dollars to play a fucking game. They have to suck it up, be professional, and perform. Simple as that.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Quickest way to stop the booing? Stop looking so shabby and win a few games. Listening to some of these "pros" and "homers", you'd think this was F'n Pop Warner.

News Flash: This is your job, not Club Rex.

Jets69, Red Menace and NJBeliever like this.
  10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm starting to get really worried about the mental toughness of our players......

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

WTF? Maybe we should pack the stadium with fans and present the team with a participation trophy along with a huge round of applause at the end of the season? Charge $100 a seat and $40 for parking - I think it will go great!

Jay Bizniss and Denny like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Wilkerson comment makes me want to fucking smash something. I can't believe those words actually came out of his mouth.

RochesterJet likes this.
  13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I hate fans booing and doing what the idiot did yesterday but players and coaches have to be able to deal w/ nitwits like that. this isn't HS or college.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

How about just winning the Snoopy Trophy this year--was that too much to ask?

_

Royal Tee likes this.
  15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I hate fans that boo. I fucking hate them. With all my heart. If you boo your team when it's bad you shouldn't be allowed to cheer when they're good. Go sell your season tickets to an actual fan. There's a difference between being a fan of the team and being a fan of them winning. We can either help them out or we can put the nail in their coffin.

MaximusD163, Vida and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Man, if that's all it takes to get your panties in a bunch, you should probably invest in a life coach.

NJBeliever likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How would you suggest a fan communicate his displeasure to a team member? Does the fan not have the right (some may call it an obligation) to notify the player that his performance and/or attitude is not acceptable? When a bonehead play or penalty is experienced should the fan (bankroller) simply order another hot dog? Why try to pretend the baby is not ugly?

RochesterJet, NJBeliever and june19 like this.
  18. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Please just stop talking Mo.

Our "leader" demonstrated his maturity and mental toughness at Green Bay. He's sorely lacking in both areas.

2 weeks in a row have seen our "leader" and QB mouth off at fans. Richardson's comments were equally ignorant. This is what you get eve your head coach wants to be Raiders East.

We desperately need a full house cleaning. Can we get a real coach and GM please?????

jonnyd likes this.
  19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

That's only gonna break us down not build us up?How thinned skined are these fucking guys,go play in Jaxonville where they cheer losing

20. Vida

Vida Active Member

I was ashamed of the fans booing watching this game the other day. If your team is an out and out shambles I can understand getting frustrated/angry enough to boo them, like the Jags losing by 30 every week but when your team is still competitive it's pretty disgraceful behaviour to boo them.

I actually felt sorry for Geno and was thinking "how the hell can you invest back in the team after the fans have deserted you?" How can you expect the players to show any loyalty to the team? Even if Geno turns things around and plays light out next week or the next game at Metlife and the crowd's cheering him I cant imagine he'd be feeling the love.

rohirrim665 and KerleyFries like this.