Interesting Draft possability.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by villano5, Apr 18, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that it doesn't happen, and that's the lunacy of the NFL and all the hype. Then they wonder why there are not enough QBs to go around. With all 4 of the top QB prospects, it wouldn't hurt them to sit for 2 years, and would give them a much better chance to develop and reach their full potential.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I dread to think what time the Jets will make their third round pick on Friday. I'm not going to stay up until 4am to watch us draft a punter from Virginia Tech.

donkey and stinkyB like this.
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Yes sir. You won't hear me disagree with that.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think there is more to learn from playing than from sitting on the bench, sipping Gatorade and watching. That said, there is good incentive to keep many QBs on the bench: it protects them from themselves. IE if you draft a QB, and when he gets to camp it is CLEAR that they are not at the level the team had expected, the team can do two things: 1) roll them out anyway and potentially give them David Carr syndrome as soon as they've begun their career OR 2) sit them on the bench, make some lame excuse to the public about how veteran QB Sammy Shmo was the starter all along and is a seasoned and respected veteran that has earned their job, bla bla bla.

At that point, it becomes a race against time. Can said rookie get their shit together or are they quickly spiraling out of an NFL career.

I think this is exactly what is happening with Hackenberg. The Jets know if they put him against real competition, he will embarrass them. Giving him two years to get his act together is about as much protection as any team can reasonably offer a young player. At some point, you begin to wonder if it will ever come together. Doesn't seem likely.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think your first sentence depends upon what it is they have to learn. If it's basic fundamentals, flaws in technique like footwork, throwing motion, and where the ball is held, then no, they can't learn more while playing than sitting on the bench. Those kinds of things take focused reps, without having to worry about game plans, calling plays, or adjusting to NFL speed. If you play someone with those issues too soon, it can stunt their growth, if not downright cause them to fail. If it's just learning to read Ds, adjusting to the speed of the NFL, learning the offense, then yes, they can learn more and progress faster by playing.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That's what I meant by the rest of the post.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well we might never know for sure depending on how the dominos fall but cant wait. Its hard to predict what the Jets will do because if anything they are unpredictable. Up to recently the buzz was that the GM and HC were not necessarily on the same page. Honestly I don't care about what Bowles wants but I care greatly about who Bates wants.Ill be happy with any of the four, although I have not seen that much of Allen. I have seen plenty of Darnold and he concerns me the most. Rosen is my hero even though we are a USC family and that says a lot. I like Mayfield confidence and resolve. Allen intrigues me because he truly has the most upside just based on raw capability, plus Wyoming never did crap with short pass plays and or screens or outlet passes to the back that I have seen so who knows how he responds..
    My gut tells me is a short race between Rosen and Mayfield and if they are both on the board then we will know how the front office really sees it. So again, early drinking is in order for me on this one. The stage is set.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

So to recap, theyre reaching a bigger audience. More fans will see the draft. And that's a big FU you to fans?

What you're saying for you and your family weekends were better. I get that, happens sometimes. Even though more will be able to watch the draft.

#48 LF911SC, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Sucks, right?

10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Check out @SW0LZEE’s Tweet:

Anyone else?

11. Walt White

Covert PSYOP's from Woody's influence with the Commander In Chief?

Hope so :)

[​IMG]

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

I think they're doing their best to deflect interest without it seeming too obvious, but I can't account for why else his value seems to have dropped in the course of 3 days and he's not been arrested or played any more football within in that time.

The Pats started seeing the likelyhood of the Giants passing on him and all of a sudden they "have interest in him"....

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Why would anyone give a damn whether the Pats have interest in Rosen. I understand the reasoning of the conspiracy, but the Pats have zero chance to trade up to get him, so their interest is absolutely irrelevant.

#53 JetBlue, Apr 18, 2018
  14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Then don’t watch. Same with Thursday night games. The NFL is a business and the capitalistic system allows the buyers (fans in this case) to speak with their dollars (viewer ratings). So if fans don’t like Thursday night football or this draft format like you say, it would show in the numbers right? And in that case the NFL would be losing money if what you said was true...but their not. Did you see the people in Philly last year? Yeah, looks like they hated it...

I think what you’re trying to say is that YOU don’t like Thursday games and this draft format because YOU can’t get inebriated with your friends and family. Being an adult is difficult. But blaming Godell because you don’t want to be hungover for work thefillowing day is comical. Look at the ratings my friend...

#54 RochesterJet, Apr 18, 2018
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Anyone here read this article?:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/04/nfl_draft_2018_how_todd_mcshay_sees_a_jets-giants.html

Frankly I don't see why the Jets would make this trade. According to McShay, this is dependent on the Browns taking Allen first of all. Then the Jets trade up to 2 with the Giants, obviously giving up more capital, on the basis that the Giants want Barkley and not a QB, so this would enable the Jets to get Darnold. But if the Jets are sure the Giants want Barkley, they don't need to trade up to get Darnold. And even if the Jets aren't sure the Giants want Barkley, and might take a QB (Darnold), can the Jets really afford to spend more draft picks? They would have to really love Darnold to do this, and I don't see how that's possible, but then again, I'm not Macc (or Joe).

16. PennyandtheJets

You are taking my view WAY too seriously. I’m mostly complaining and I don’t think I am the only one with this view. Listen to the fans when they boo Goodell each time he walks on the stage.

Also...relax dude. I can’t wait for the draft, but that doesn’t mean I have to love when it is aired.

One last thing...the numbers were down all year last year.

#56 PennyandtheJets, Apr 18, 2018
    FJF and Walt White like this.
  17. Walt White

Like it doesn't suck the way they do it now.

They milk it for every penny so that makes it good...and you'll like it too son. :rolleyes:

CotcheryFan and PennyandtheJets like this.
  18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

The point I was trying to make is they have no shot at getting him where they're at, the Pats purposefully leaked this nonsense just to try and counter this recent downturn in Rosen's stock.

"Hey the Pat's in their infinite wisdom are interested in Rosen, what do they know?"

This is clearly a direct attempt to sabotage the Jets. They either:
    A) want to try and peak the interest of the Giants.
    Or
    B) want other teams to think they know/see something they don't, to entice them to move up to #2 thinking that the Pats may actually move up to #4 themselves.

19. PennyandtheJets

Yeeahhh... that’s all I was getting at

20. Walt White

Yep, of course. They string it out for every penny they can get out of it and it sucks moosecock.

#60 Walt White, Apr 18, 2018
    FJF and CotcheryFan like this.