Interested in Nick Foles?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

To go with Foles the Jets would need to install an RPO focused scheme. That's what he has performed well in. When he's been in more traditional offenses he has been less effective.

You might acquire Foles if you were also drafting an RPO college QB like Mason Rudolph later in the draft. Then you're switching from a WCO or incorporating the RPO into a WCO as an organizational decision and drafting players that fit the scheme moving forward. From the Jets perspective that would include at a minimum drafting a pass-catching back to grow with and an athletic TE that can handle the throws on the seam routes that an RPO is looking to complete.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm not really a foles fan personally. he's a good QB in spurts but never pieced together a good 16 game season. I could only see him as a stop gap if we draft a QB high and don't want to throw him into the fire. I don't see foles as out FQB for the next 5 years

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Unless Wentz will be back for game 1, Foles ain’t going anywhere this off season.

4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Teams don't overrated the value of those picks. Insurance is nice but it's a gamble. You feel the need for insurance that's good, but it's a one year insurance policy. Foles isn't sticking around after next season. When his contract is up he's looking for a starting gig somewhere else. So there goes your insurance, there goes your backup and there goes the extra picks.

tbruner12 likes this.
  5. LF911SC

For one, he hasn't been mediocre his entire career. When healthy he's been good. Secondly if all it takes is going to school how come Minny, the Pats etc need more tape than there is out there? Why doesn't looking at tape only work with QBs someone asks about getting, not guys we play against?

blackssmagic likes this.
  6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

You could trade him at the deadline or during the season similar to Garoppolo...I seriously doubt they are gonna trade him and start another back up till Wentz is ready.

7. LF911SC

Where else was Peyton going at that time where he had a chance of winning? How hard of a sell was it? Now let's really get down to HOF QB boy, who has he brought in that has made this team? That team was ready to go when he was handed the GM job and since has steadily lost talent. He's brought in how many QBs? Osweiler twice? Traded up for Lynch, over which Jet fans killed Macc for letting Elway draft, Semian? Sanchez? He gets a lot of credit for moves he never made.

And at the end of the day he took a SB team and wound up with the same record as the Jets who tore their team down and are rebuilding it up. Picking ahead of us even.

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with any of your points. But Elway has that "I am a former QB great so believe me" appeal.

Right now, I think Elway is getting a lot of heat for the misses on QB and also the fact Vance Joseph looks lost as a HC

9. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Eagles fans would do that (chant for Foles), then they don't deserve Wentz or the SB victory. They wouldn't have been in the SB if it weren't for how well Wentz played this season. Foles definitely deserves a shot at starting somewhere, but hopefully, it's with an NFC team.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I would love if the Jets traded for Foles, the only issue is that Carson Wentz might not be back by the season opener. I can see the Eagles holding onto him to be safe.

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Ha, nice bump... this one was fun to read back through.

There were seriously a dozen people that shit on me by saying that Mark Sanchez was better than Foles.

13. NCJetsfan

How do you figure your bolded sentence when the reason Morton was fired was because he didn't do what Bowles wanted on offense? You can bet that Bowles will be more in control of the offense this season. Bates has no leverage or power. The Jets will be back to running the wildcat and 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

14. grkmanga31

Wanting to run the ball more is not indicating all the playcalling for the offense should be running. There needs to be a balance of both, which Bowles felt we got away from last season even though to Morton's credit, he smartly understood that the Jets did not have the necessary personnel to run the ball consistently.

It's ok to have a balanced run/pass offense but you need the personnel to do so. Bowles wanted to run the ball last season with a shitty o-line and a shitty starting RB. This season Bowles won't be able to select Forte as a starting RB, and will have a better o-line than this past seasons.

We're not running the wild cat. This isn't the years of Tebow or Rex trying to be cute

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

In addition, the Jets would need to get rid of Bowles. There's no way he'd allow Bates to be as aggressive as Pederson was with the play calling last night If Bowles was coaching the Eagles last night, the Pats would have blown them out because several of the Eagle's TDs would have been FGs.

16. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Clearly Foles is better than the last two QBs we have had. He can win in the playoffs, can win a big game, etc

I would go for him if the price is right, unfortunately as we all know, we will be getting him when his value is high, but thats just how its going to work. Philly got Wentz when his value was high, it worked out for them.....

blackssmagic likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Bowles is still conservative and passive. I don't care if the Jets had $200 million in cap space and spent it wisely, Bowles would still be Bowles. He would be passive and settle for FGs. He wouldn't be aggressive.

I wouldn't put anything conservative or passive beyond Bowles. Bowles was a moron last year and he'll be a moron this year and next. Zebras can't change their stripes.

18. grkmanga31

I don't disagree. I still think Bowles is a bad HC, but to be fair, he won't be responsible for the offense entirely. He never was and he never will be. Bates will dictate that side of the ball, regardless of whether Bowles wants to run the ball more or not. Being balanced isn't bad, being balanced when your offense doesn't have the personnel to consistently run the ball is bad. That was Bowles' problem this past season. He went with Forte, who is ancient and wanted to run the ball more even when our o-line did shit all season.

This next season I anticipate the Jets will have a more balanced approach to offense but will be more successful because they'll have better personnel to run the ball consistently.

19. NCJetsfan

Bates will have a lot of control, but I'd be willing to bet that Bowles dictates more of the strategy for the game plans and the play calling on 3rd downs. He will want to avoid TOs or costly mistakes, so won't let Bates be aggressive. He'll order Bates to run the ball on 3rd and short, and will probably want the Jets to run the ball on 1st downs too.

I agree that being balanced isn't bad. They should be more successful if they indeed have better personnel on the OL and at RB, but Bowles could still screw it all up.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't see much benefit in the Eagles trading Foles. It's more valuable to have insurance for Wentz than get a draft pick. They are the world champs with a solid roster. Maybe if a team was nuts and offered a 1st and a 3rd or something extreme. Otherwise, I say Foles stays and possibly starts the season if Wentz isn't 100%. He tore his ACL pretty late in the season.