I'm really concerned McCagnan is going to give big money to Glennon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 16, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I basically really like this post and agree with most of it, but I have a few quibbles with it.

I think your first two paragraphs are the crux of the matter and critical as to what will happen going forward. Where I disagree is the third paragraph. Blowing out the management team would set the Jets back, but if it was just the HC and not the GM, not necessarily. Seeing the problems that Bowles is having putting together his new staff, I'm hoping that Woody realizes that it was a mistake to not go ahead and fire Bowles, and that it was also a mistake to not have Bowles report to Mac. If we had started Geno, then Petty earlier last season, we'd have a better idea of where we are in terms of the QB position. I think he needs to just bite the bullet, accept that 2017 is going to be a losing season record-wise, but it will be used to try to develop Petty and Hack in hopes that one can be our QB of the future. Along with that, he will forget the "competitive rebuild" nonsense, and go ahead with a full rebuild. If Bowles and his new staff do a good job of developing the young players and has the team prepared to play each and every week, shows growth and improvement in game management and in making adjustments, and holds the players accountable, then he gets to stay if Mac so decides. If not, then Mac gets to hire the new HC.

If Mac addresses depth, STs and some holes with good, young FA acquisitions and has a very good draft, the team has developed their QB of the future or has the excellent draft position from which to get one in 2018, then I think things could look very different to potential HC candidates. Woody would have shown patience, and would have shown that he had learned and progressed. Mac would have proven that he was a good HC and had control of things. The team could have some dynamic young players and decent to good depth. The new HC could be told that there was no immediate pressure to win, and that as long as the development of the young players continued, and the team looked prepared and didn't beat itself each week, he would be safe for the length of his contract, and would be extended. If Mac screws the pooch, then it will be a mess, but by then, maybe Harbaugh is ready to leave Michigan and Woody gives him complete control to come here and fix the Jets, or maybe another former HC will be available.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

we have no idea what indivivdual timetables,if any, woody has bowles and mac on.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Tebow's available. And he's cheap!

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

It's true. We can only go off the impressions their actions give.

Well, that, or we can just admit that we don't know and mind our own business like mature adults. But that way is no fun at all.

FJF likes this.
  6. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Seeing how the only teams that excelled in the playoffs this year all have elite quarterbacks is just another stark reminder of how far we are from being really competitive. Having said that, I'm open to throwing everything at the wall until a quarterback emerges. Sign Glennon, draft Trubisky, then let them battle it out with Petty and Hack in training camp. Cut the weaker of Petty and Hack, and let the starter be whomever performs the best in camp and the preseason. We need to do something radical if we're ever going to solve our QB problem.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with the first part: throwing everything at the wall until a qb emerges, but disagree about Glennon. I don't think he's really any better than Geno, and maybe worse. And I prefer Watson over Trubisky, but wouldn't slit my wrists if they went with Trubisky or some other highly rated QB. Because the bottom line is that they MUST find that elite QB, until they do, the rest is just treading water. Somebody else here reminded us that Weeb Ewbank and Sonny Werblin drafted 4 or 5 QBs in one year! Does that give you any indication of how important they felt the position is? I'm not advocating using every draft pick on a QB, but that might not be as crazy as it sounds. It tells me though that you need to do whatever it takes to get that position fixed, then build around it. And that makes sense too in that most QBs these days are the longest playing players, with all the rules designed to protect the QB, it ensures they have the most longevity. All the other players have far shorter careers, so getting the QB in place first i the way to go. Doing it the other way around, your players will get hurt or decline before you sing that FQB.

So yes, draft at least two QBs, one in the 1st round, and one later on, and sign a stopgap QB, and go to camp with them all. Then cut the weaker of them, except the veteran, leaving three: the vet, either Petty or Hack, and the best rookie. And if none of them show themselves to be "The ONE", do it all again next year.

8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

understood bro!

The jets won't understand that their o-line was the reason Petty could do nothing... He was a little scary and conservative but he didn't get much help at all from his line.. So im afraid he'll have a short leash...

And hack, I want to believe he can be something one day but he just looks like a scrub to me.. Or else he would have gotten some reps over this dead season at some point.. at least vs the Bills in the last game.

I'm ALL in for Tyrod!!

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Sorry bro, but we've been wasting our time for the last 48 years because obviously this team doesn't know what it takes to groom or even how to find a franchise QB..

I'm over waiting on that shit.. get us somebody that can win games in this league.. I'm tired of these stupid "projects" we always draft outside of the first round that never turn out to be shit.

10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The template for winning in this league is exceptional QB play. There is no one in free agency that can get the Jets to that level of play, so the best bet is to find that guy on your bench or through the draft. If the team is in rebuild mode, which it most certainly is, the only thing the Jets should do is plan on a three way competition between Petty, Hack and either a high QB draft pick or a young QB that has some game experience but is otherwise written off. Someone like Blaine Gabbert or Matt Barkley. Even Mettlenberger, who is third string on the Steelers. But I'd rather they go with a rookie. So if they like em the Jets should draft a Pat Mahomes or if Watson drops to the late first/early second then grab em...

Guys like Tyrod Taylor or Mike Glennon might make sense, but they wont get the Jets far in the long run and might make the Jets just good enough to miss that early round 2018 draft pick. And those QB's will cost a ton of money to boot. Better to build up the rest of the roster this year (OL, Secondary, young RB) and hope Petty or Hack can mature into that franchise guy.

Frankly, I think Petty has a shot. He has enough experience now to be the starter and has shown flashes of very good play when his OL gives him time to throw and his WR's actually give a damn and get open. But he has had two injuries this year alone, so he may be fragile. Its a risk you run.

Also a roster of Petty, Hack and a Rookie has more game experience than Elway and the Broncos had with Simian backed up by Lynch.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

So you wouldn't grab a QB with your first pick? Or if you would, who would that be? And if you wouldn't, who would you take ahead of a QB?

Keep in mind that the QB typically has the longest career length, so drafting/signing other positions runs a risk that by the time you find your FQB, they''ll already be declining.

12. PulseJet

I am afraid of the bust factor with Watson at 6. Loved him in the championship game but afraid he is Vince Young 2.0. Also there are too many other difference makers they could pick there. If the Jets could trade down and get a QB and OL that would be the best option.

13. ColoradoContrails

I understand your concern. But if you did trade down, who do you think you could get for QB and OL (LT)?

14. PulseJet

I don't know. Dak Prescott wasnt on my radar! But Dak on the 2016 Jets team would have looked like garbage too. All QB's will look bad untll the OL is improved and the RB's are more explosive. Bilal Powell was hot in the end, but I dont think he can maintain for the whole season.

15. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Get Hoyer on the cheap as a backup plan for when petty sucks. Let Boyer mop up the rest of the beating and maybe give hack a shot once we're out of the playoff contention .

16. ColoradoContrails

Well I still think they ought to grab Watson, or possibly Kubisky or Kizer with that first pick, but if they didn't, I'd grab Fournette or Cook, then grab the best OL available, then an edge rusher or QB whichever is the BPA. After that?

17. PulseJet

I really feel that the Jets should avoid a round 1 QB pick. None of these guys was graded out for the first round, and if the Jets pick one there that guy will be under pressure to be the Jets savior. Recipe for disaster.

18. ColoradoContrails

Dak Prescott didn't grade out as a 1st Rounder either. Unfortunately we don't have access to all the data and video, and even if we did, trying to extrapolate what a college player can do in a professional league is almost impossible. So all we really have is our best guess based on some stats and video and gut feel. I think Watson has the "IT" factor, but understand you don't - and many others agree - and I accept that difference of opinion. But if you pass on QB this year, what guarantee is there that the QB you want in 2018 will be available, and even if he get him, wont he be under the same pressure? My fear is that the Jets will do "just good enough" this year to drop them out of contention for one of the top QBs in 2018, short of then trying to trade up at a huge price.

I do think that drafting Fournette or Cook could help Petty/Hack/Whoever tremendously and make the biggest impact of all the players they could add, short of QB.

19. PulseJet

On your last part, you seen how having an impact RB helped Dallas and Pittsburgh. So I would be fine with Fournette or Cook at 6.

Maybe my hesitancy to select Watson or Trubisky at 6 is the Jets would have to start that guy in year one, and that would be setting them up for failure.

20. ColoradoContrails

I agree there's a risk of that happening, but that would be true with ANY rookie QB in any year. And by my definition a franchise QB would be able to handle any pressure. If they can't, they're not a FQB, and you try again next year. And this is why you also have other QBs on the roster. WOrst case, Watson (or Trubisky or Kizer) flop and the Jets have a high draft pick next year; best case is that they rise to the occasion and the Jets search for a FQB is ended.