I'm getting worried about Mo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GWjet, May 19, 2015.

1. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I know a lot of us believe he is now expendable and maybe trading him would be a good move but I keep thinking back to Revis. We were all on board for trading him because he wanted too much and wasn't loyal and was always a hold out possibility . I don't think trading away your best players when they're hitting thier prime is a good move

Please let's start negotiations and get him signed

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Totally different situation--we have Mo locked up this year and he must play at his best to earn the franchise label next year--then next year, he has to play at his best to get FA money. Trading him wouldn't be a good idea right now.

greenbeanz, Cman68 and Dreadmadseen like this.
  3. silentkillah123

silentkillah123 New Member

this is my first official post here, wow the pressure is intense! here are my two cents. mo is indeed a valued player for our team, no doubt, but feel like he might be starring down the path revis took a few years back. that diva mentality maybe rearing its ugly head and it's a bit distasteful imo. not in the mood for another player to use strong arm tactics to cause distractions to what could be a monumental year for us die hards and all for a new contract. he should honor and play out his current one. heard somewhere, and this is cause for concern, that he can get his money owed for the year by just playing in 6 games (the "joey galloway" clause or something to that effect). if he does this i could careless if he traded at some point just as long as it's outside our conference. honestly if he does sit out 10 games i wouldn't even allow him to suit up for the remaining 6.

4. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

also when Revis held out, he was a unanimous best CB in the league, and wanted to get paid as such... Mo is looking for JJ Watt type money when he clearly is not JJ Watt as he is on another level. Unfortunately for Mo our GM has been with Watt for his entire career and would be able to see the difference in skill set more so then most other execs, thus making him one of the least likely GM's to pay him Watt money.

Me personally I think he should be offered the lower end of what a franchised DE would get and nothing more, I think he is a great DE but that video of him taking a play off has kind of turned me off him a bit.

DOOM, brothermoose and jxc like this.
  5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

good first post and welcome to the board.

I don't think Mo will hold out. He just doesn't strike me as the type. Based on recent comments from Mac, there seems to be a plan in place to keep Mo around long term. Until I suspect otherwise, I will buy into that. The cap #'s this year and in the years following seem to allow for it. Could happen before the start of the season OR the team could be waiting to see what we have in Leonard. Truth be told, if Leonard bursts on to the scene, then Mo is sadly expendable and they could look to deal him.

Personally, I think let's see what we have in Leonard and take it from there.

I know us fans build allegiances to players. But from a business perspective if we can get equal or greater value from Leonard on a rookie deal for the foreseeable future, then it doesn't make fiscal sense to necessarily invest in Mo, when we can likely look to dump that number in the O Line.

NYJalltheway and silentkillah123 like this.
  6. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I don't think it's "a lot of us" at all, I believe it is just a vocal minority that wants to play Madden without actually understanding the talent on this team.

I also think that Mo's negotiation team has been in communication with the Jets all along. Just drafting Williams doesn't mean anything unless you see how he actually performs on the field. I think he'll be a very talented player but again you never know. Some fans want to put the cart before the horse, the cart being a possible QB signing in the future, but unless anyone can identify that cart with definity, then they are just spitballing and don't have a leg to stand on. Stop worrying about trading a very good player until there is an actual reason to do it.

7. TurkJetFan

A lot vs whatever, truth is after this season we may majority feel he's expendable pending the output of Leonard vs the money committed.

8. Charlie Kelly

Please translate this into English

mikey, slimjasi and BZanZ like this.
  9. TurkJetFan

LOL fair enough.

What I meant was, "a lot" of fans vs whatever the actual # is, after we see Leonard play, if he's impactful the tune may change and the majority may feel Mo is expendable. Likely why the FO isn't itching to extend Mo as of this second.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He'd be a fool to hold out. Hold outs almost never work to the players advantage especially in the new CBA. Wilkerson is still due to make almost $7 million this year, and after a year where he underperformed and raised character concerns in being thrown out of a game and had his motor questioned. Players who miss training camp almost never rebound into the season to be as good as they could be.

We have too much leverage with him as well. Want to hold out? Sounds good we'll play the rest of our young defensive lineman more while you piss dollars away.

11. Charlie Kelly

My disagreement comes where he is a good player and that makes Mo expendable. If he does become an elite player early, you are assuming that the majority will decide he is expendable. I disagree. Three elite players on the Dline in Wilk Rich and Williams doesn't mean that Wilk becomes a trade property, he would only become that if there was some gigantic contract causing the Jets to possibly decide that.

Let's say that Drew Brees was put on the trade block, then that would make Wilk or Rich expendable. Name another 3 elite QBs, they could make it possible.

Williams playing well doesn't do that and never will

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprised if Mo held out. Doesn't seem like the type to do so.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It would not be in the best interest of Wilk to hold out, but if he did - he would instantly change the perception of a lot of people including myself.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Pretend for a moment that Richardson and Williams were already our 2 star defensive lineman, and Macc was considering bringing in Wilkerson as a FA pick up for big bucks.

15. Charlie Kelly

Pretend for a moment that you understood anything about the salary cap

16. TurkJetFan

it's a simple matter of dollars and cents. if leonard erupts as elite it really comes down to cap figures and that definitely makes mo expendable when considering the cap for the 3+ years following.

drew brees has nothing to do with it? Mo Wilk alone will never be enough to acquire an elite QB.

17. TurkJetFan

take your own advice

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

its amazing no one ever thinks of the fact that the cap could be close to 160M+ in a year. Jets aren't paying 100M to any QB unless somehow they get Russel Wilson.

TurkJetFan likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That was my point.....if Mo was being considered as a pricey FA pickup to go along with Sheldon and Leonard 90% of TGG would be against it.

20. Charlie Kelly

Take your mother's advice