If the Jets go 8-8 or worse next season...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by akibud, Jan 4, 2012.

1. akibud

akibud Active Member

Does Ryan and Tannenbaum get the axe? Or do they get to try and redeem themselves again in 2013. I read where they are both signed through 2014. That is 3 full seasons to work their magic. Thankfully, this is the NFL and in any given season, things could break a teams way. With a soft schedule and some gameday breaks, any team can make a run. I think that the next 2 seasons will determine both their fates. Now, if they were to pull off a 10 win season, wild card playoff berth, say even lose there. Does Woody then say, thinks are moving in the right direction and extend these guys for 3 yrs through 2017? That is a long time of being mediocre, average..

2. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I think Rex would cut half the team before we go 8-8 again

3. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Depends on this off-season IMO. What they do to try and become competitive again.

4. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I don't think that will happen again, and hopefully it won't, but all bets are off if Schotty is back as the OC. If it does happen again and/or Schotty is back in 2012, then yes, by all means both should be fired and ridiculed as not being competent to serve in the NFL at their respective positions.

5. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Lots of moving parts here. If the whole team is decimated by injuries like in '05 and '07 then I'd say no. If they barely upgrade the roster (this would seem very doubtful to me) and don't make the playoffs then Tanny should absolutely be on the hotseat. I've read plenty of article over the last few days that Rex deserves to be on the hot seat going into next year. Right now I just don't see it unless something catastrophic happens (injuries, loses control of the team).

6. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

For me Rex is the man going forward, even with a down year or two over the next two seasons. The guy has proven he can win big games and the players love him. End of story.

7. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Were going to have a sizable cap space this offseason so If we don't get Rex any talent to work with Tanny should definitely be replaced, to even think he mentioned Victor Cruz with some of the guys he drafted was completely laughable.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'm with others, I believe Rex stays and Tannenbaum gets the axe.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Rex can't lose with the way he talks. He puts himself in a bad spot.

10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Then tell us why the players quit on RR this year. Do U have a sliver of evidence to prove your statement Blair Thomas Fumble? :sad:

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Schotty getting lost is Rex's golden parachute, and buys him at least 2 seasons.

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well 8-8 against the 2012 schedule would be a major dissapointment, imo worse than this year.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

What about 10-6 and missing the playoffs?

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

you know it depends on the circumstances at the time. another december collapse - maybe from a 10-3 record would be unbearable....

but what if we have a decent off season, improve team speed, have a good draft/fa and start off 2-4 - then things click and we run off an 8-2 finish barely missing the post season.

i can deal with scenario 2 much easier than 1.

15. akibud

akibud Active Member

The big issue here I think was the early returns for Ryan. Making the AFC title game in his first 2 years, set him up nicely for a few bad years. Meaning, that roster, which he didn't build, was good enough to win it all, they didn't. The amount of problems that this team has, given the formula that Ryan wants to win with (ground and pound) he needs to add a lot of defensive help now (safety, linebackers, and DL plus depth) He needs to upgrade the O line and add quality depth. The WR corps will need revamping (although not supposed to be a team strength)
    It just seems like the Jets could get stuck in a lot of 10-6 wild card road games in the next 2 to 3 years. I imagine though, being in the playoffs will allow both Ryan and Tannenbaum to keep their jobs. Especially if Ryan keeps his prediction opinions to himself

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

It really depends. If there is a rash of injuries and he still manages 8-8 with multiple backups you keep him. If we go 8-8 due to lack of depth or players you think long and hard about Tanny and his plans for the future.

17. akibud

akibud Active Member

I worry that we are just now completing the 3rd year of a John Gruden like career with Ryan. Sadly, Gruden won it all with Tony Dungy's players. Ryan only made it to the AFC title game with Mangini's players. 7 years later, management gives Gruden the axe. I know most of you will immediately say there is no comparison, and Ryan is the best coach the Jets have ever had. Well, to me, I'm thinking that the Jets were one of the 3 best teams in the league before Bret Favre imploded toward the end of the season. Almost that entire roster, with the addition of Sanchez makes it to the AFC title game.... twice. Now, as guys age and free agency works it's magic, we are slowly turning over the roster. With the exception of this years first round pick, we haven't seen too much to tell us that we've drafted some keepers over the last 3 drafts (Sanchez included) I just don't like the looks of how this is shaping up.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if they go 8-8 or worse tanny is gone.that would give rex one season with a new gm to prove he is worth keeping

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As Woody Johnson is slow to change, I would doubt if anything short of a 3 or 4 win season would shake him out of his coma to make a move with the FO/CS.

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I would disagree with the Mangini team idea. We had a pretty good turnover and lost Jenkins and still made the championship games. We lost Jones, added Braylon, added Scott and Jimmy. Added Cromartie. Got rid of Rhodes. Added Greene.
    I agree, this season is a huge step draft wise and FA if we are going to be stuck in mediocrity or getting back in hunt for a Super Bowl.