If Jets finish season with 4 consecutive losses

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Every year we don't make the playoffs we should fire someone. Just so we have something to talk about on message boards.

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If they finish with four losses? Even the Chargers are going to clean our clocks.

Bowles should have been fired at the end of last season. I am OK with Mac for now even though he should have come out of the draft with Mixon or Kamara.

Ralebird, LAJet, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  3. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

So clean house and hire some guys with experience. Are you really thrilled about letting this regime draft another QB?

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im not inspired by any available options honestly. John Fox has experience, would you want him? Or Jeff Fisher? I mean im not trying to be cynical but these experienced guys can be even more toxic. Common sense is a luxury in the NFL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  5. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

I was on the hype train with Kamara before the draft. I was pissed when the saints took him and I'm not surprised he's doing so good.
    But then I thought even if the jets drafted him turd would have placed him behind Forte and Powell anyway regardless of how good he looked

6. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

For me I would fire Bowles, and allow Mac to pick his own HC.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Ownership no matter which Johnson will not have the balls to fire Bowels. Everyone is just happy the team played hard at times for him and won 5 games,,,which is a joke its not just about playing hard at times ,its about making the correct decisions regarding personal and in game along with playing hard. Bowels aint gonna out coach anyone and does not put his players in the best scenario to succeed . In fact many said the coach quit before halftime with timeouts in his pocket and at games end by punting twice , hard to argue .

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

People need to use some common sense here.

With McCown out Bowles has now earned the benefit of the doubt. How lucky was that? If he had his starter and lost all the remaining games it would have give mgmt a much easier outlet to let him go and bring another in, if that were to be the reason (even thought I doubt that would have happened). But, since the bench QB's are in the picture, forget about that happening. He's staying put no matter the losses.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I would want someone else to do the rebuild or tinkering. Trusting these guys to do is too risky. Time to try something different.

10. boozer32

No neccesarily. The Denver game was their last best hope to win a game. Bowles blew it royally. So that should give the bosses ammo to can him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. boozer32

No freaking way. Team has regressed each and every year how is that admirable? Maybe you should look at the highlights again of the Broncos game. Oh wait their are none for the Jets. Not a one in fact its describe as historically one of the worst games in jets history. Even Rich Kotitie is shaking his head.

NYJetsO12, Centiment and abc like this.
  12. boozer32

How is it that the Steelers, Ravens, Packers are always in the playoffs. 5 years is way to long to watch a Bowles coach team. he is not smart enough or creative enough to improve the Jets. 3 more year of this would be criminal. Its not entertaining, its not progression, its not worth watching. Don't want him and his staff ruining anymore drafting choices.

NYJetsO12, abc and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I really don't understand why some people keep saying that the Jets have overachieved so much this year. Their schedule was always backloaded, so them getting their wins early on was to be expected. The morons in the media might have thought the Jets were going 0-16, but that wasn't the general assessment here (go back and look at the prediction thread). I said 3-13 (which turned out to be the median choice in that thread), and a big part of that was that I expected Petty or Hackenberg to be playing at least half of the games (because silly me, I thought Bowles would do the only sensible thing a rebuilding team would do). Instead they'll go 5-11, and people are acting like this is some great achievement, when it's only because McCown unexpectedly had the best year of his career, something that there is zero chance will happen again.

Edit: And I would also point out that if the Jets do manage to win any of their last three games that is hardly an endorsement of Bowles. For that to happen it's pretty likely that Petty will have had to play at least decently against some good teams with very little preparation, which means that Bowles was unable or unwilling to see that he apparently had a viable young starting QB on the roster for the entire season. That would actually be the biggest evidence that he should be fired, so the Bowles supporters really shouldn't be rooting for wins the next three games.

#33 statjeff22, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually we didn't "grossly overachieve" based upon the actual talent on the team. We "grossly overachieved" based upon the ridiculous predictions of 0-16 that were plastered all over the place before the season started. I predicted they would win between 4-6 games this season and they're on track for that. But the HC has not progressed from the same mistakes he made Year 1. And the GM hasn't solved the riddle of a QB nor has he addressed the OL for 3 straight years, however he DID invest heavily in the "D" and that's actually been the worst part of the team. Both Bowles and Macc are getting paid a lot of money to do the jobs they agreed to do, but they're not doing them. They need to go, NOW.

15. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I would have fired bowles Sunday night after that most embarrassing loss.

#35 abc, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Freddy Mondo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I think your analysis has some great points and I think the Jets were dumb not to go after Tom Coughlin. I think he would have been a great asset for Mac to use as a consultant.

It may be prudent just for now to give Mac 1 more year. Let him decide on your next QB and if at the end of 2018, a decision can be made then.

You guys just cleaned house and its only fair you give Mac at least another year to rebuild. If after the 2018 season the Jets show no improvement, then fire him.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I think the Jets will lose out from here and that both Bowles and Mac will be back. Why?

If the remaining games are close, the team has been pretty competitive all season, despite being what many judged an all-time bad roster. Given that CJ is on record as saying he wanted to see development not W/L then the CS/FO have delivered as much as could be reasonably expected. They aren't good enough to win, but are good enough to compete. That's a step forward.

If the games are all blowouts, and they could well be, particularly if the O misfires, it goes a long way to vindicating Bowles' big decision to continue trotting McCown out. That has been the biggest complaint about him and he may well be shown to be right on it.

Mac's record is good enough, just, to survive regardless. Sure he will have swung and missed on two QBs, but they were both known projects. Missing on 2nd and 4th round project QBs surely doesn't carry the same weight as missing on a top 5 QB. He won't get to survive another miss though, no matter where he is drafted. Nor would Bowles survive a step backwards next season. To get an extension they both have to continue to deliver progress.

18. Beki

Beki Active Member

CJohnson mentioned that Macc + Bowles's fate will be determined how team the has been progressin during the season and be honest, I just don't see that huge development why both of them would deserve to be retained in 2018.
    We have won 5 games so far:
    CLE (it was up to CLE to defeat us)
    MIA (not a big win)
    BUF (Taylor didn't have any offensive weapon, what a huge W...)
    JAX (so-so)
    KC (only big W for us)

We had some close games, but we couldn't finish or hold our lead.
    Macc also had 3 years to draft or get a franchise QB, failed to do that...3 years with veteran QB's and a 2nd + 4th round QB pick, who couldn't beat McCown.
    Our defense is not playing well, far from that...it is totally on Bowles and Rodgers.

So, if the Johnson's deciding to bring back Macc and Bowles to 2018, just give hime an option year extension to 2019, BUT if someone deserves to be fired that is Maccagnan. He is responsible for the 53 man roster and you can see that NFL owners are not patient waiting for 2-3 years for a total rebuild.
    https://www.metro.us/new-york/jets-...m-the-ruins-source-says/zsJqco---sT5m1GdbHIlY

Question is where we are in the rebuild process?
    After this season, we will have needs at QB, OL, RB2-3 maybe, DE (if Wilkerson will be cut), edge rusher, CB

To summarize: I am not really statisfied with the work Macc's been done, so if we need to fire someone, he should be the first one. However, I would like to avoid forcing a HC to a new GM as well.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I said it in another thread that if we pulled a no show in Denver then I think Bowles would be in serious danger of being canned at seasons end...losing is one thing but looking inept and uninspired on the field is just inexcusable.
    He did some of his worst coaching during that game and that cannot be overlooked when talking about "progress"... that has to extend to the coach , also.

I think you can Bowles and let Macc hire HIS guy...not be force fed someone he didn't hire.
    I want continuity but I won't keep a crappy game day coach just for that purpose...Bowles just isn't that guy.

I think you have to hire an offensive minded guy who can , along with a QBC,OC, develop a young QB and move this franchise out of the cellar and inject some respectability into this franchise for once.
    This is the year for us to make franchise shaping moves. We have a ton of $ and will more then likely have no worse then the #6 pick ,this is a pivotal off season for us...we need not only make the right choice in our next QB but in who's hands we entrust his development.
    I have 0 confidence in Bowles to take us to the next level.

20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

This team definitely over achieved because many of our wins should easily be losses. We barely beat the browns and the chiefs should have won. This team overachieved.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk